follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #29
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Being on pump gas eliminates fuel density as a variable and simplified things. I can rescale your maf for free, just pm me. I'll screenshare with you and show you how to do it so you can do it yourself next time.
Just lurking in here but I have to say that is a very nice thing to do for a fellow member.

wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wootwoot For This Useful Post:
DAN_BRZ (03-03-2014), jamesm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #30
carlitosway6891

Drives: white out project fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
don't mess with that. it's not what it sounds like! lol. no seriously, that's a really good way to screw yourself. just know that the 'wot torque threshold' map curve should look something like your torque curve.

the mistake people make is to go in the wot torque threshold map and increase all the torque values thinking that is going to magically make them more torque. instead, doing so causes the throttle plate to not open all the way. if you'd like to know exactly how all those maps work together and why this is the case pm me. it's far too much to get into here i'd have to screenshare to show you and explain it. dbw throttle is probably one of the most complicated things in our ecu.
I was wondering more if what I was looking at meant you could have two separate throttle maps depending if the sport button was on or off =)
carlitosway6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #31
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosway6891 View Post
I was wondering more if what I was looking at meant you could have two separate throttle maps depending if the sport button was on or off =)
I think that's what happens sharpens up throttle in "sport" mode as well as adjust traction and stability settings. Although one of the ECU code de-compilers may have to confirm that
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #32
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosway6891 View Post
yes, that is exactly what that means. it's a fairly complicated system that should be fully understood before making any changes though.

ecutek racerom makes doing custom throttle mapping much simpler and easier.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
carlitosway6891 (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Being on pump gas eliminates fuel density as a variable and simplified things. I can rescale your maf for free, just pm me. I'll screenshare with you and show you how to do it so you can do it yourself next time.
That's extremely generous, sending PM now!
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
jamesm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #34
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
That indeed is very generous.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Malt For This Useful Post:
jamesm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #35
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
See info here from PERRIN

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...81&postcount=3
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #36
carlitosway6891

Garage
@shiv this thread has my log file
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #37
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
These "canned" tunes are good value and ok if you stick to the standard "mods" they cater for, even then an individual tailored tune is better, that's why they cost more. If its done on a dyno and not an e-tune then it more again.
Bolded part is key. jamesm, all due respect, I appreciate your knowledge in the forum, but you make it sound like running an OTS tune is bad (I don't think you meant it that way, but it reads that way). I understand (and agree with you) jamesm that a custom tune is always best, but you cannot expect an OTS tune to work optimally or even at all when somebody is not running the modifications the OTS map was tuned for - the release notes specifically indicate not to run an aftermarket intake (like Perrin intake here) and you should use the stock intake for these maps/tunes. If you are running the modifications the OTS tunes are designed for they should be perfectly fine/safe for daily driving a car without custom tweaks. If you are not running the modifications they are tuned for, well expect that you WILL have to make tweaks or get a complete custom tune depending on the modifications. Pretty simple and straight forward.

If you tune somebody's car using a stock intake, and they throw on a different aftermarket intake after you have the tune dialed in, should your customer expect their tune to run OK or perfect after that?

The OFT OTS tunes are pretty good "generic" tunes IMHO if you are running the exact modifications they are tuned for. Even on a wide range of fuel (91-93+ octane & E60-E90).

Quote:
your car should not need learning time after a tune, imho. that log is off-the-scale rich and pulling timing. by 'giving it time to learn', you mean allowing time for fuel and timing corrections to be written in, both of which shouldn't be there in the first place.

just my .02, but one of the primary goals of tuning a car is eliminating fuel trims and knock correction. this whole idea of relying on fuel trims and knock correction to tune your car for you is just not a great idea.

the reason is because it leads to inconsistency in the tune. on the timing side, even the smallest bit of flkc can seriously impact how much power you're making. we were seeing losses of 10hp or more (on a turbo car) from just -1deg flkc on the dyno. the ecu is far too aggressive in pulling timing, and will almost always pull more than is necessary. this is why tuning up to the point of correction and not beyond it is so important. it allows you to run the most timing possible, as tuning into correction just results in the ecu pulling more than you could've gotten away with without it.

on the fueling side, relying on trims is a bandaid for inaccurate calibration. it results in inconsistent open loop AFRs (which is exactly what you're seeing here), and in cars with modified fuel systems (injectors and maf size, mainly) significant drivability issues. obviously running off-the-scale rich is not the way to make power.

though the computer is smart enough to correct the afr back to something near target fueling (given enough time to adjust), it's still far less than ideal particularly on the timing side and should be optimized if possible.

it can be argued that these issues exist in the stock tune (high trims, timing corrections) and they do, but the entire point of tuning is to improve upon it. i don't think it should be accepted that high trims and consistent knock correction are 'ok', and certainly not optimal on a tuned vehicle.

these are the natural downsides of an ots tune. they're generic, and need to suit a range of configurations operating under a wide variety of conditions. they're basically well-developed base maps. the beauty of these particular roms is that they're open and editable, and those looking to get the most out of them should certainly look to take advantage of that rather than just accepting mediocrity as 'the way it is'. if it can be ideal it should be, because that's what we're tuning for in the first place. most of this stuff is so easy to optimize (especially given a solid base) that there just isn't any good reason not to.

ok rant over lol.

Last edited by Captain Insano; 03-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #38
milhouse
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
So what's the verdict here? Safe to run an OFT OTS Stage 1 without scaling the MAF on a 2.5" Intake? I ordered an OFT (hasn't arrived yet) but I already have a Perrin 2.5" Intake I'd like to keep. I have no problem rescaling the MAF (if @jamesm is still offering to help guide someone , I, and I am sure the rest of the many Perrin CAI owners, would appreciate the gesture) but I'm not entirely certain on the process.

I am running 91 and not e85, as that's not really available near me.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milhouse For This Useful Post:
ThatBlueBRZ (07-25-2015)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #39
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
So what's the verdict here? Safe to run an OFT OTS Stage 1 without scaling the MAF on a 2.5" Intake? I ordered an OFT (hasn't arrived yet) but I already have a Perrin 2.5" Intake I'd like to keep. I have no problem rescaling the MAF (if @jamesm is still offering to help guide someone , I, and I am sure the rest of the many Perrin CAI owners, would appreciate the gesture) but I'm not entirely certain on the process.

I am running 91 and not e85, as that's not really available near me.
It's certainly safe to run Perrin's 2.5" intake. It will just run a bit richer than the stock intake. We have an intake on order and will be tested it on our car. Will revise MAF scaling as necessary and release the info to those who are running it

Shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
carlitosway6891 (03-19-2014), milhouse (03-19-2014), Navadv (03-21-2014), phrosty (05-10-2014), Snoopy_TXR (03-20-2014), ThatBlueBRZ (07-25-2015)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #40
milhouse
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's certainly safe to run Perrin's 2.5" intake. It will just run a bit richer than the stock intake. We have an intake on order and will be tested it on our car. Will revise MAF scaling as necessary and release the info to those who are running it

Shiv
Excellent news - now just ship me my OFT...
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #41
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
Excellent news - now just ship me my OFT...
Yep, I'm sure the guys are on the job
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #42
carlitosway6891

Garage
I didnt get to log it, but yesterday after some spirited driving, for the first time since I've been on stage 2, IAM dropped to .86. Ltft is consistently at -7 give or take 1%....I'm more than sure the perrin cai is the cause so I really can't wait for revised tuning for perrin cai