follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had an Evo X for a short period. I never felt connected with the car. It wasn't the worst car I've driven, it was nothing special. The performance is great out of the box though! I would think the Evo X would be a better street car out of the two.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worfworf View Post
I have a X - would love to buy a brz and upgrade the evo to 400hp.

I love the evos handling - loved my s2k more though.

How do they compare? That is evo feel vs brz feel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
They really don't compare. Take away the 20k of performance mods and match stock to stock I think the brz might be more fun to drive around town but the evo would still be more fun to race on a track
The Following User Says Thank You to EvoXDD For This Useful Post:
mirvine (10-06-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
beardy

Drives: GT86 Pearl White
I also went from a Evo for a GT86. Well this is the last weekend I have the Evo, but I will be leaving it for the trade in on monday so I'm not brave enough to take it out for the last blast

I had(have) a JDM Evo 6 GSR, pretty much stock, a few handling mods, but engine was untouched, and I had lots of fun in it, but its so grippy. I ran it for a few years with R-tires, both Toyo R888, and Potenza RE01R's, and the grip was just stupid. With normal street tires, you got to notice a slight understeer when you was nibbling at the limits of the car. With R-tires it was like you was god until you passed the limit and started screaming. I love Evos and I will most likly import a 5 or 6 RS in a few years, to have something to tinker with, but to be honest, during my testdrives of the GT86, I had so much fun it was retarded.

True, the Toybaru is slower, but damn it is fun, 3½ weeks until it will be sitting in my garage - need to invent a time machine!
beardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
These are the two cars I'm considering at the moment, the FR-S and Evo X GSR. Any advice on which to get? They both seem to be good driver's cars, providing good steering feedback through the wheel.

The FR-S felt much lighter, lower, and showed friendly RWD behavior when I was dodging cones at the Scion first drive event. A bit underpowered, but I was only able to try the automatic.

The Evo X felt a lot more powerful (obviously) and had a good gearshift/clutch, but the seating position was a bit lower than I was used to.

I think the FR-S will be substantially cheaper to track/auto-x (tires, brakes, fluids are all much cheaper), but is the Evo X worth an additional $7k?
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Garage
I love my Evo but so much track parts are on it now it is a PITA to drive daily. Stock for stock I really loved my Evo, but the BRZ reminds me of my old 2001 prelude SH which I never lost my love for until I got the brz
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
These are the two cars I'm considering at the moment, the FR-S and Evo X GSR. Any advice on which to get? They both seem to be good driver's cars, providing good steering feedback through the wheel.

The FR-S felt much lighter, lower, and showed friendly RWD behavior when I was dodging cones at the Scion first drive event. A bit underpowered, but I was only able to try the automatic.

The Evo X felt a lot more powerful (obviously) and had a good gearshift/clutch, but the seating position was a bit lower than I was used to.

I think the FR-S will be substantially cheaper to track/auto-x (tires, brakes, fluids are all much cheaper), but is the Evo X worth an additional $7k?
If you can afford another $7k, I'd say just go for the Evo X. They're going to be easier to find, especially without silly markups, plus there is a good amount of used inventory for them if you were considering going that route, whereas used FR-S/BRZ examples are rare at this point in time.

Both cars are VERY fun, and some old articles (I think they were from Inside Line or something) had compared the two when talking about steering feedback, which is a good thing. The FR-S/BRZ will feel more nimble, being RWD and maybe 600 pounds lighter, but obviously the Evo X has 91 hp more and just about double the torque, so it's going to accelerate more powerfully in any given scenario.

Also, if you have more than one friend (or at least a family consisting of more than one other person), the Evo is going to be more practical, plus it's not like you're giving up a lot, since it's still a very capable car, regardless of the door count, though I don't think it has any advantage with trunk room since it doesn't have a pass-through, while a part of it is blocked off since the battery is mounted in the trunk. But when considering factors of practicality involving money (i.e. fuel economy, insurance, maintenance, wear-and-tear items), it loses some ground to the FR-S/BRZ.

I'm sure that there is already an aftermarket for the FR-S/BRZ since it's not like the engine is 100% brand new, but it likely won't compare to that of the Evo X, at least not anytime in the immediate future. Since the Evo factory turbocharged and runs pig rich, I remember some people getting silly amounts of power (80+ hp) just from a TBE and tune, which was better than what was seen from the Evo VIII and IX (which were already VERY responsive to mods to begin with).

However, the FR-S/BRZ comes with crappy tires and handles well, so upgrading to stickier tires has already been shown to really enhance its handling even further, though one thing that people may not always realize is that it's going to make the car ride a lot stiffer, especially if people end up going with Z1 Star Specs.

On the flip side, a big part of why the Evo handles so well is because it has really good tires from the factory, but to maintain it, you have to go with similar tires. Going with a less sticky tire will make a noticeable difference in an Evo. For example, I had the stock Advans on my Evo, then I switched to Z1 Star Specs (which were awesome and maybe a tad better than the Advans), and just recently I got Hankook V112 Evos, which are also pretty good tires. But just pulling out of the driveway of the Discount Tire where they were installed, I could already notice a difference in immediate feedback. I got used to it pretty fast and didn't miss the old tires (though I still clearly remember how much more responsive they were), as these have a quieter, more comfortable ride, though there are situations where the car loses grip earlier. Sometimes it's fun, but it got scary for a split second a week ago when driving through an unfamiliar area in 100+ degree temperatures when I had to slam on my brakes with the steering wheel turned slightly, then the car basically rotated in a way that I know it wouldn't if I still had the Dunlops. My cousin following me in his MS3 later asked if I was showing off. Later on that day, the car started to slide when accelerating to beat a left-turn light on a slightly downhill road. But I'm sure that these will be better in the wet, from what I've read, and I'll figure that out in the next few months.

I think that if you can afford an FR-S/BRZ and can also afford to autocross it on a regular basis and maybe add some mods here and there without having to pinch pennies, you can probably afford to jump into an Evo, keep it stock (as it's PLENTY capable like that) and autocross on a regular basis for a bit more, assuming the $7k price difference isn't a significant hurdle in the first place.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
DarkSunrise

What a thorough write-up man, thanks! I've actually eliminated the Evo X based on the cost differential and the fact I had an STI in the past and want to try RWD now.

Final decision is between a used Porsche Cayman S and FR-S. Gotta love all the great choices in cars these days
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
pinoyplaya

Drives: WRB MT-BRZ LMTD
Went to lunch today and was riding on a friends EVO. Dayum. 375 WHP boosted at 25 psi.

I want the BRZ turbo now. 325 WHP at 9 PSI?

Is a turbo bad for the engine or will it not have any significant affect to it?
Drove the car off the lot at 8/6/12 @ 8:06 PM
Traded for Black 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
pinoyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyplaya View Post
Went to lunch today and was riding on a friends EVO. Dayum. 375 WHP boosted at 25 psi.

I want the BRZ turbo now. 325 WHP at 9 PSI?

Is a turbo bad for the engine or will it not have any significant affect to it?
Lets just say if a turbo goes in, the warranty comes out. Evos are fast with little effort.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #24
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
What a thorough write-up man, thanks! I've actually eliminated the Evo X based on the cost differential and the fact I had an STI in the past and want to try RWD now.

Final decision is between a used Porsche Cayman S and FR-S. Gotta love all the great choices in cars these days
Out of curiosity, have you test driven an Evo? It might also be AWD, but it's VERY different from an STI.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #25
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
I came from a bone stock Evo X (lease). If you do the math the FR-S isn't that far off power-to-weight ratio wise (~15hp shy on the 86). If you factor, the money, the looks, the comfort.

I'm sorry but I've owned 5 DSM's in my life, 2 evos, stock and modded.

You. Can't. Beat. This. Car.

P.S. I've gotten more thumbs up, waves, grins from ear to ear in the 5 days I've owned my FR-S than I ever did in my 3 years with my X.

People on the fence, you won't regret it. This car is an instant classic. Also keep in mind, every car can be modded to suit the owner.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #26
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you test driven an Evo? It might also be AWD, but it's VERY different from an STI.
Yeah a couple times now. My buddy used to let me drive his 2006 Evo IX MR and I also test-drove a 2012 Evo X GSR. Definitely fun cars, just looking to go a different direction.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsquid View Post
I came from a bone stock Evo X (lease). If you do the math the FR-S isn't that far off power-to-weight ratio wise (~15hp shy on the 86). If you factor, the money, the looks, the comfort.

I'm sorry but I've owned 5 DSM's in my life, 2 evos, stock and modded.

You. Can't. Beat. This. Car.

P.S. I've gotten more thumbs up, waves, grins from ear to ear in the 5 days I've owned my FR-S than I ever did in my 3 years with my X.

People on the fence, you won't regret it. This car is an instant classic. Also keep in mind, every car can be modded to suit the owner.
Cool. I have to respect that, with you being part of a small group who has actually driven both. I know that you mentioned having had an Evo X before, but what kind of Evo was your other one?

But with the X, I think that from certain angles you won't immediately notice the difference between an Evo and the standard Lancer trim levels in motion (especially since the standard Evo GSRs all had that same tiny wing available on the Lancers) unless you're either really looking at it or you just know Mitsubishis.

Quote:
Yeah a couple times now. My buddy used to let me drive his 2006 Evo IX MR and I also test-drove a 2012 Evo X GSR. Definitely fun cars, just looking to go a different direction.
That's good then, especially with you having had a chance to play around in the IX, which most people feel is the best one (and I will hold onto mine as long as humanly possible).

Either way, it sounds like you're leaning toward the FR-S/BRZ, so good luck with everything. It's such a great car considering the experience you get, even if the people over at GenesisCoupe.com don't agree, haha. (Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions based on their priorities, but very few of them have actually been in situations where they learned to appreciate the value in a relatively lightweight car.)
Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Cool. I have to respect that, with you being part of a small group who has actually driven both. I know that you mentioned having had an Evo X before, but what kind of Evo was your other one?

But with the X, I think that from certain angles you won't immediately notice the difference between an Evo and the standard Lancer trim levels in motion (especially since the standard Evo GSRs all had that same tiny wing available on the Lancers) unless you're either really looking at it or you just know Mitsubishis.

I forgot to mention, a few of those thumbs ups and waves were from Mitsu owners... My first Evo was an '05 White RS, mild 363awhp DD. Before that I had a few DSMs around 450-500awhp range. All DD, including one FWD. I've also owned 3 LS1's as well. 2 T/A's and a Vette. With the FR-S I'm still not looking back, so as far as I'm concerned I have the best of both grunty RWD American style and Japanese racing design/ingenuity.

All comes down to the owner, and this car is me especially for a DD. (I still have my current DSM project car in case I feel like going nuts in a hurry)