follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #15
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am 100% positive you are hearing a swaybar endlink. Check that out, make sure it's tight and doesn't wiggle. The endlink will not hit the control arm. The noise is coming from the ball joint inside the rubber boot of the endlink. The smallest amount of play will cause a clunk or knock, and unfortunately we can't see it since the ball joint is on the inside of the rubber boot. Even if it "looks" tight after checking every thing, replace it and see if the sound goes away they are cheap to replace anyways. I know this because I had this sound on my Celica, and fixed both links and the noise went away. I just fixed a Mustang with the same noise after some "mechanic" told the guy it was a bad wheel bearing. When he said he was still hearing noise after we replaced the "bad wheel bearing", I sat in his car, we heard the noise and told him his mechanic was wrong. I immediately knew it was the end link. turns out when we checked it out, the endlink was wiggling and loose or just straight up broken. Went to advanced auto and just bought something cheap since that's what he wanted and didn't care. Placed the new part in, all noises went away.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #16
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Check the strut nuts!! The ones that hold the strut to the top hat.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #17
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Everyone is asking about things being loose but to me it really sounds like you're describing contact. I'd take the wheel off and look at the inner edge and barrel of the wheel for evidence you're hitting something, as well as the inside sidewall and corner of the tire.

Also, swaybar end links sometimes hit the body of the car at steering lock with coilovers... Havent heard of Konis but perhaps the end link is hitting with steering in which case you may need to swap the end link to the other side of the tab on the strut.

Depending on size of the RE71Rs, if wide enough, may even be hitting somewhere on the fender liner or inner body.

The only loose suspension I've ever heard that was a definite knock is, as has been said before, a loose endlink so do check those.
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #18
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm going with swaybar endlinks too
-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #19
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge View Post
I'm going with swaybar endlinks too
Since I fitted a Whiteline bar to the front of my car with the very nice urethane bushes and proper robust and adjustable drop links Whiteline supplies with their bars I will always try to fit proper drop links and bushes in any future roll bar install. Reducing the lost motion you get from stock type soft rubber bushes and flimsy drop link ends significantly improves the feel of the front roll bar. It is also a real improvement in performance. The lost motion reduces the effective rate of the bar.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #20
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Seems like something I am experiencing. I have noticed in for at least a year. I hear it coming in or out of driveways. When on track, and sometimes during autox(don't pay as much attention). I get a solid 1 "click/clunk". Was not thrilled when It happened this weekend after all the suspension work.

I found that my one set of wheels did rub, added spacers to prevent that issue. Noise still happened.

I found my sway bar hit the the control arms. Added shorted endlinks to correct that. Noise still happens.

I also have replaced LCA bushings, and added aftermarket camber plates to my coil-overs. Noise still happens. While this was happening, I checked most of my suspension.

I do have an aftermarket steering rack lockdown kit, I am wondering if that is related. Going to try and confirm my recent alignment as well as check all the bolts again this week.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #21
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Seems like something I am experiencing. I have noticed in for at least a year. I hear it coming in or out of driveways. When on track, and sometimes during autox(don't pay as much attention). I get a solid 1 "click/clunk". Was not thrilled when It happened this weekend after all the suspension work.

I found that my one set of wheels did rub, added spacers to prevent that issue. Noise still happened.

I found my sway bar hit the the control arms. Added shorted endlinks to correct that. Noise still happens.

I also have replaced LCA bushings, and added aftermarket camber plates to my coil-overs. Noise still happens. While this was happening, I checked most of my suspension.

I do have an aftermarket steering rack lockdown kit, I am wondering if that is related. Going to try and confirm my recent alignment as well as check all the bolts again this week.
Did you tighten the endlinks down with the car in the air or with weight on the wheels?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:38 AM   #22
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Did you tighten the endlinks down with the car in the air or with weight on the wheels?
all suspension parts were torqued with the car at static ride height with weight on all for wheels. Thank God for drive on lifts.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #23
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm having the exact same issue after installing Konis and a Strano front bar. I installed new OEM links in the front, and am starting to think that replacing them with Whiteline links might resolve the issue. Seems like people with the Whiteline endlinks don't have this issue, at least not as much as people with stock links.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #24
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have same problem during low speed turning (Megan coilovers and stock end links). I have a pair of Whiteline end links waiting to go in and will update everyone if that solved the issue.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #25
Open Loop
2013 FR-S Whiteout / SSC

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue after installing Konis and a Strano front bar. I installed new OEM links in the front, and am starting to think that replacing them with Whiteline links might resolve the issue. Seems like people with the Whiteline endlinks don't have this issue, at least not as much as people with stock links.

It is possible to have the Strano bar with Konis and stock end links be completely quiet. I would double check to see if the sway bar is centered (which you can do by eyballing it) and the two clamps that keep it from sliding laterally are tight enough. I understand that if it is not centered, the end of the sway bar can come into contact with the lower control arm during travel.

For me (the OP), I bought two new end links and installed them which took care of the problem completely. Thanks to pgranberg11 for confidently pointing me in that direction. It finally began to sound like an end link in "my mind's eye" after reading your post.

Embarrassingly, it turns out that one of the nuts had come loose on one of the end links, and it is likely that had I more carefully checked them I could have saved myself from replacing the end links.
Open Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Open Loop For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (06-01-2017), strat61caster (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #26
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Always check for loose nuts. They can be dangerous.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gforce For This Useful Post:
invaliduser (06-01-2017)