follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's going on here - coilover not compressing?

Okay, I might be very tired right now, since it's 1:30 AM.. but I've had my car on jackstands for a few weeks now, and I just went to drop it down to the ground, and the right side isn't coming down much at all..

Left side, as you can see, sits as it should, but the right side is very high. Did a quick visual inspection and couldn't see anything wrong that I might've missed. When I put the car in the garage, they were fine and of course the same height. Granted, they are D2 coilovers, but they have done less than 3000 miles and have given me no issues before.

Tried bouncing the car from the trunk, raising it and setting it down again..
Ignore the diferent tires, both will be R888s when I'm done.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Did you roll the car? I think you just need a good nap.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It's the rear end not settling, right? Was the e-brake locked before raising the car and still locked? If so, release the e-brake and roll the car back and forth a tiny bit, it should settle back down.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If releasing e-brake didn't do it, disconnect the rear sway bar and try again. Make sure you get the car fully on the ground, those wood pieces do not look the same height!

If that doesn't help, verify ride height and spring preload settings on both rear coilovers. I know you didn't change it but best to rule out the silly stuff first.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe if the car spent a long time with the suspension in full droop, it pulled the shock piston out too far and now it doesn't want to compress? I'd independently (again, disconnect rear sway bar) jack up the left and right side suspension to watch it go through its full range of motion.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
sqd (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 AM   #5
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
If releasing e-brake didn't do it, disconnect the rear sway bar and try again. Make sure you get the car fully on the ground, those wood pieces do not look the same height!

If that doesn't help, verify ride height and spring preload settings on both rear coilovers. I know you didn't change it but best to rule out the silly stuff first.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe if the car spent a long time with the suspension in full droop, it pulled the shock piston out too far and now it doesn't want to compress? I'd independently (again, disconnect rear sway bar) jack up the left and right side suspension to watch it go through its full range of motion.
Thanks for the great tips! The funny thing was, the day after, I removed the wheel and put the jack on the hub and lifted, and it compressed just fine.. Put the wheel back, rolled the car outside and it was fine