follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #113
laextreme5

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph4zon View Post
I had the same part fail at around 23k miles. My tuner said it was only the second time he had ever seen that happen =/
Well here is to number 3! lol
laextreme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #114
laextreme5

Update on the situation.

Issue was found to be in the shortblock. Plan was to wait for a new shortblock to arrive and drop that in. Get a call from my friend who is the tech working on the car with some news. Shortblocks are on backorder. SOA has given him permission to tear down the motor assembly to find the issue and see if it is repairable.

Come yesterday he texts me and gives me the down low. cylinder 3 piston is warped, there is a decent gap at the bottom you can see if you look closely (cant see in pics he provided) and the cylinder looks like an egg. So block is bad and we need to continue waiting for the shortblock as originally planned. Currently still do not have an eta as to when that will arrive.

IMG_3484 by Cody Rinaudo, on Flickr

IMG_3483 by Cody Rinaudo, on Flickr

IMG_3482 by Cody Rinaudo, on Flickr

While i wait ive been knocking some things out ive wanted to do while also collecting some parts. My tob makes noise at idle and i figured it was a good excuse to upgrade to a lightweight flywheel and new clutch. Its an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and their lightweight flywheel. believe the weight to be 11lbs if i recall correctly. About half the weight of oem. My exhaust also came in, its a cleib 2.5'' SS catback. Welds are SUPERB on it. I cant wait to hear it. I also picked a header, over pipe and front pipe which will be here later this week while i am out of town. I also opted to put some Tredwear tire letters on my tires. Figured id try it out and see how i like em. ANd lastly, with the wheels off the car and the catback here i had a buddy come by and tried our hand at ceramic coating. Also put it on the calipers, gotta make them purty things easy to clean.

IMG_0919 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0920 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0921 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0922 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0923 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0924 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0925 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0926 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0928 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0937 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0938 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0939 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0940 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0941 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0942 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0945 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0946 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_0947 by lawrx, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to laextreme5 For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (05-30-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #115
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
I really like the look of the exhaust.
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #116
laextreme5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubella2 View Post
I really like the look of the exhaust.
I cant wait to throw it on. Ive got a diffuser on the way as well that it along with the exhaust will make the rear very aggressive.
zeal86 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #117
laextreme5

A lot has developed over the last week. Received word we were able to locate a short block (was on back order) and reassembly was started late this week.

Ive also picked up a few additional parts. Was able to work out a deal and pick up a lightly damaged Seibon trunk, FOR FREE. Literally only minor cosmetic damage to the resin and very slight fiber damage. Plan is to repair it and color match to the body. its the minor duckbill style, so needless to say this eliminates the use of the trd spoiler I had purchased and painted.... Welp, went wing shopping and found a basically BNIB APR gt250 wing chord, missing the stays and endplates. And that has set in motion a few things. One obviously designing and making endplates and stays for the wing. But also a front diffuser to balance it out. Being that I have a front sti lip, there will be no protusion bast its edge. Will be a flat bottom with the outsides inclined to generate some front end downforce to get aero balance with the new wing and diffuser.

IMG_1469 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1471 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1473 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1474 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1475 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1476 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1478 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1480 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1481 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1466 by lawrx, on Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laextreme5 For This Useful Post:
carsebuco (06-10-2018), DustinS (08-09-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #118
laextreme5

Continued progress on the front diffuser. Pulled the alumalite sheet from behind the shed out back to mark and cut from my template I made. I had originally cut it to make a large splitter for my Gr WRX Varis front bumper. Sadly it never made it onto the car. Oh well, its getting repurposed now.

IMG_1482 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1496 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1511 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1497 by lawrx, on Flickr

Thats it for now on the front diffuser. At a point where I need the car to finish it. I also picked up an APR GT250 wing chord the other day. Found it BNIB on eBay missing the stays and endplates. Perfectly fine with me, not a huge fan of their designs anyway.

Started out with the hand sketches to get an idea of what I wanted. Then cut them out to mock up. Once I had a design I was happy with I cut it out of the alumalite sheet to get a visual of it all together. Overall im fairly satisfied. I want to fully mount it to the trunk, about 1'' further back than the mock up, and see it on the car before I finalize the designs.

IMG_1485 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1490 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1492 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1494 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1493 by lawrx, on Flickr

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1781/42090866195_0465f1***9_c.jpg[/img]IMG_1488 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1504 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1508 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1510 by lawrx, on Flickr

And lastly, an update on the car. Currently not too happy about it. They finally received a short block (which was on backorder for about 2 weeks) and started reassembly last week. Well upon reassembly they were checking and measuring other various head componets. And found abnormal wear on the cam journals and the cams themselves. So NOW they have reached out to the engineer who they have been in contacting with and to see if the are either going to replace just the single head and cam setup, or drop a whole new Long Block assembly in. The long block assembly seems smarter to me taking into consideration of labor involved. However at this point im awaiting their determination of the next step. WHY they didn't insect these componets upon initial teardown befuddles me, but I cant change it now. I just want my dar back.
brz fred (01-29-2019)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #119
laextreme5

Its that time in Louisiana where its so hot simply opening your door makes you sweat enough to need a shower. Case in point, I worked inside today lol

Was able to finish up some things today while watching my son while my wife was away holding an open house. The tire letters on the other three wheels are now done, I had only completed the one wheel the other day.They are now all complete and stored away waiting to get my car back. And no my son did not scratch my wheel.

IMG_1642 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1643 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1644 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1645 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1646 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1653 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1654 by lawrx, on Flickr

Also took some time to actually look fat sone other parts I had arrive. Just some small stuff, nothing major. Oveland Design Alacantera shift boot. Irp Short shifter. LED STI 3rd brake light ( for when I cut the rear bumper to fit the diffuser. Some coiler covers. and a rear view camera (has been a must need since installing the Recaro. Yes I've been lazy and putting it off)

IMG_1655 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1656 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1657 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1658 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1659 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1660 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1661 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1663 by lawrx, on Flickr
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #120
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
What camera did you get? I put a Rydeen in my car about a year ago and the camera body is already starting to rust. Yours looks like it has a nice finish on it.
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #121
laextreme5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubella2 View Post
What camera did you get? I put a Rydeen in my car about a year ago and the camera body is already starting to rust. Yours looks like it has a nice finish on it.
https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/...ra-system.html

Here is a link to what i purchased.
jubella2 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #122
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I must say you're doing some awesome work to your car. Everything is so methodical and tasteful. Pic quality is outstanding. Keep doing what you're doing man.
MCTeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCTeeJ For This Useful Post:
laextreme5 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #123
laextreme5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
I must say you're doing some awesome work to your car. Everything is so methodical and tasteful. Pic quality is outstanding. Keep doing what you're doing man.
I appreciate it man! Got some other things in the works in the background i think everyone will enjoy as well. Stay Tuned!

Bit of an update. Car is still currently at the dealer. Motor was dropped in Monday after waiting for a special order sized shim for use in the head. Yesterday after hooking everything up there were having some issues with a minor misfire and running a bit rough. Tech seemed to believe it may be something minor. Says he does have the worry the ecm might have somehow sustained damaged throughout the repair process and might be at fault. After all that he said he still felt confident in that i would be getting the car back today or tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed as im tired of driving this slow Impreza wagon.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #124
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laextreme5 View Post
I appreciate it man! Got some other things in the works in the background i think everyone will enjoy as well. Stay Tuned!

Bit of an update. Car is still currently at the dealer. Motor was dropped in Monday after waiting for a special order sized shim for use in the head. Yesterday after hooking everything up there were having some issues with a minor misfire and running a bit rough. Tech seemed to believe it may be something minor. Says he does have the worry the ecm might have somehow sustained damaged throughout the repair process and might be at fault. After all that he said he still felt confident in that i would be getting the car back today or tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed as im tired of driving this slow Impreza wagon.

What were the symptoms you were experiencing? I noticed you messed with the DI, and in my case replacing them happened to be my fix.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #125
laextreme5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
What were the symptoms you were experiencing? I noticed you messed with the DI, and in my case replacing them happened to be my fix.
Coming home from work one day as i got off the interstate and came to a stop at a 4 way stop sign car started misfiring. Made it about 3 miles and had blinking CEL, limped it home the last 2 miles. Misfire was full on dead miss, as if there was no piston in the bore.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #126
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laextreme5 View Post
Coming home from work one day as i got off the interstate and came to a stop at a 4 way stop sign car started misfiring. Made it about 3 miles and had blinking CEL, limped it home the last 2 miles. Misfire was full on dead miss, as if there was no piston in the bore.
Gotcha. Makes much more sense. My misfire was intermittent and very odd. Glad they're taking care of it though.