follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Tomita San

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Oil galley temp reading low

Hi,

installing my oil cooler i hooked up my greedy style oil temp meter using the oil galley plug method. What i found out later, this location is not really suitable for accurate temp readings, see below.

Sensor mounted in the galley plug using an adaptor (compared to the Open Flash Tablet readings):

204F equals to 95C, but the gauge shows 87C

Thinking that the gauge our the sender could be inaccurate, i´ve replaced the stock oil press switch with the sensor, and hey presto!..temps are now correct. (they should be, as the stock sensor where the OFT gets the reading is next to it).
See:

Gauge sensor instead of the switch:

Switch in the galley plug:

And finally, my bit of gangsta oil cooler sandwich plate install But it works.
Tomita San is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tomita San For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-13-2016), Spartarus (05-17-2015), Valentino (05-17-2015), Wayno (05-17-2015), Xuningshen (04-12-2016)
Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Valentino

Drives: GT86 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience, and finding.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Deraj

Drives: '14 Asphalt Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Interesting. I installed an Innovate oil temp sensor in the same location (stock oil pressure switch) and it reads 15-20*F higher than the OBDII. Curious to know what other people who are reading oil temp there are seeing.
Deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deraj For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-13-2016)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I will check today. This peaks my interests, as I noticed that I never get my oil above 200F even driving somewhat hard. Though I installed my oil temp sensor in the galley because it was too large to fit in the adapter to change thread pitch(to install in the block).

Edit: I did some testing. Looks like my temp gauge in the Galley is anywhere from 20-48 degree F lower than the OFT is reporting.

Last edited by DustinS; 05-19-2015 at 12:34 AM.
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DustinS For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-13-2016), Trust86 (03-11-2017)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
bump for this! Anyone else?! I've got this same issue...temps for me are 5-19F off

I'm comparing oil temps from obdII and the galley plug sensor
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #6
Deraj

Drives: '14 Asphalt Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
bump for this! Anyone else?! I've got this same issue...temps for me are 5-19F off

I'm comparing oil temps from obdII and the galley plug sensor
Which one is higher for you?
Deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj View Post
Which one is higher for you?
the obdII is higher...and I feel more accurate. The temp reading seems to fluctuate pretty quickly when doing a wot pull/sitting in traffic. Not "too" quickly, but it seems to respond faster.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
My readings from the oil filter area versus what OBD reads is almost the same.

~75-85C at normal freeway speeds. Both read the same.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
My readings from the oil filter area versus what OBD reads is almost the same.

~75-85C at normal freeway speeds. Both read the same.

-alex
That is because the Factory sensor is right under the Oil Filter (Don't mind all the oil, it was a picture from when my sandwich plate bolt came loose and sprayed oil everywhere)

Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I have yet to install my Defi racer oil pressure and oil temperature gauges. I was planning to use two of the oil galley plugs. Maybe the one on the front and one on the back. I believe there are more like one down low but Im not sure where or what would be the best or most accurate place. I bought two galley plugs with the NP holes. Id rather not remove the stock sensors if I can avoid it.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
wrh3
billswebspace.com

Drives: 2017 Alfa 4C, 2019 Fiat 124 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oil galley was about 20 degrees cooler than OBD2, moved to TRD sandwich plate and now gauge reads about 8-10 degrees cooler.....Depo gauge and Torque app with custom oil temp PID. I emailed Depo and they said Torque/OBD2 was wrong
Old 03-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #12
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Oil galley was about 20 degrees cooler than OBD2, moved to TRD sandwich plate and now gauge reads about 8-10 degrees cooler.....Depo gauge and Torque app with custom oil temp PID. I emailed Depo and they said Torque/OBD2 was wrong
Do you think there is some truth to their claim that the stock sensors may be inferior?

On another note, I found this diagram; seems that there are three oil galley plugs, front-top, back-top and front-bottom, all having part number 11024:

When standing the human body has higher pressures the lower you go because the weight of blood stacked on top of blood is cumulative. Likewise, the pressures at the top may not be the same at the bottom. This too can be the case for the temperatures; a person with a fever may not have the same temp at the armpit as they do at the throat, forehead or rectum, and so could be the case with the engine. As a medical professional, that is how I see it, and what may matter most is not what is the absolute value, but how things are trending.

In the case of the gauges, I want to monitor trends and absolutes. Considering the locations as a comparison to a human, the lowest blood pressure will be at the highest location and the furthest from the heart. For the car, the location that is the highest on the engine and furthest from the oil pump would most likely have the lowest oil pressure, and as such is the case, would be where one would want to monitor pressures to avoid some absolute minimum value. If I am correct with my assumption then the best oil plug to use would be the rear-top plug because it is furthest and highest from the pump. If any oil galley plug is located in a lower pressure cavity then this assumption fails.

For the temperature sensor, the thing to avoid is the absolute hottest temperature--not the average--and to avoid getting on the car when the engine is still ice cold. So along with looking at trends, I want to make sure the hottest part of the engine won't get hotter than a given high value, and that the coldest part isn't too cold to get on it. Deciding where to put the sensor seems trickier, but in most scenarios, deciding when the engine is warm enough to race is easier and less risky than not knowing what is the highest engine temp. So if I want to put the sensor in the hottest place then closest to the heart, or in this case, closest to the oil pump, might be best. And even though heat rises, maybe closer to the bottom is better where the majority of the oil sits and where the exhaust leaves the engine, so maybe front-bottom.

So how does that sound? Too much thinking or reasonable?
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
zypher

Drives: WR Blue BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Do you think there is some truth to their claim that the stock sensors may be inferior?

On another note, I found this diagram; seems that there are three oil galley plugs, front-top, back-top and front-bottom, all having part number 11024:

When standing the human body has higher pressures the lower you go because the weight of blood stacked on top of blood is cumulative. Likewise, the pressures at the top may not be the same at the bottom. This too can be the case for the temperatures; a person with a fever may not have the same temp at the armpit as they do at the throat, forehead or rectum, and so could be the case with the engine. As a medical professional, that is how I see it, and what may matter most is not what is the absolute value, but how things are trending.

In the case of the gauges, I want to monitor trends and absolutes. Considering the locations as a comparison to a human, the lowest blood pressure will be at the highest location and the furthest from the heart. For the car, the location that is the highest on the engine and furthest from the oil pump would most likely have the lowest oil pressure, and as such is the case, would be where one would want to monitor pressures to avoid some absolute minimum value. If I am correct with my assumption then the best oil plug to use would be the rear-top plug because it is furthest and highest from the pump. If any oil galley plug is located in a lower pressure cavity then this assumption fails.

For the temperature sensor, the thing to avoid is the absolute hottest temperature--not the average--and to avoid getting on the car when the engine is still ice cold. So along with looking at trends, I want to make sure the hottest part of the engine won't get hotter than a given high value, and that the coldest part isn't too cold to get on it. Deciding where to put the sensor seems trickier, but in most scenarios, deciding when the engine is warm enough to race is easier and less risky than not knowing what is the highest engine temp. So if I want to put the sensor in the hottest place then closest to the heart, or in this case, closest to the oil pump, might be best. And even though heat rises, maybe closer to the bottom is better where the majority of the oil sits and where the exhaust leaves the engine, so maybe front-bottom.

So how does that sound? Too much thinking or reasonable?
As far as pressure readings go. You want to know your highest pressure which in a mechanical system is right after the pump.

For oil temperature I personally would rather know the hottest temperature rather than the average. As overheating the oil is worse for engine health than not waiting until the oil is all the way up to temp.

Just my two cents
zypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
This has been something thats been bothering me for quite awhile..

I too have my temp sensor in the Oil Galley plug which does read lower than the ECU itself does.

However im unable to install the temp sensor under the oil filter due to the probe size using the required adapter, so my pressure sensor is there. I've asked before but have been still looking for a good answer to if thats okay or how to remedy it.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote