follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #393
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I didn't have to calibrate a thing I don't think. unless the garage that installed the gears did it for me.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #394

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I didn't have to calibrate a thing I don't think. unless the garage that installed the gears did it for me.

Sorry I mean calibrating the rpm to the gtech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VOLK LE37 17X7.5, SWIFT Springs, Bilstein B8, HKS intake duct, Cosworth Air Filter, HKS headers, PLM Over Pipe, EVS Down Pipe & Exhaust, FD 4.55, GFB pulleys, Axle-Exchange Drive Shaft, Mishimoto oil cooler, Cusco F&R strut bar, TRD door stabilizer, Innovate SC, Delicious Tuned
8686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #395
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
The GTec meter is a stand alone meter, with it's own high speed GPS. There is no calibration to do. It purely reads how long it takes the meter to go from 0 to 60, or 1/8th or 1/4 mile times.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #396
nexusatm

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
Absolutely
Is the rear gearbox of AT same as MT? Cusco 4.566 good for AT? Any opinions?A
And what about flywheel, is the same like at?
nexusatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #397
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusatm View Post
Is the rear gearbox of AT same as MT? Cusco 4.566 good for AT? Any opinions?A
And what about flywheel, is the same like at?
AT transmissions do not have a flywheel they have a flexplate with torque convert attached.
Your first question is answered right above your post yes good for AT and will work.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #398
nexusatm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
AT transmissions do not have a flywheel they have a flexplate with torque convert attached.
Your first question is answered right above your post yes good for AT and will work.
Any faults on ECU or transmission brains after instal 4.566 on AT?
nexusatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #399
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
There are a handful that run the 4.88 with no weird readings on the TCM

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #400
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Can't wait to install MFactory 1.5way and 4.875FD!!!!!!!!!
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (07-20-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #401
GT86_PRAGUE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have 4.67 on MT and if I have gear indicator on, it reads 5 on 6, 4 on 5 etc. Otherwise it is awesome and only thing I regret is not going for 4.88/5.1.
GT86_PRAGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #402
GT86_PRAGUE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
Can't wait to install MFactory 1.5way and 4.875FD!!!!!!!!!
Let me know when/if you do, I have MFactory 1.5/2W + 4.67 FD and I have some VERY strange noises, which are VERY uncomfortable.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #403
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86_PRAGUE View Post
Let me know when/if you do, I have MFactory 1.5/2W + 4.67 FD and I have some VERY strange noises, which are VERY uncomfortable.
What are the noises you have and when do you have them? How do you have your differential setup (how many springs are you using? Have you deactivated any active clutch plates?) Did you get the plates WPC treated? Are you getting gear whine?

There's a lot that goes into this and clutch type diff's are normally a bit "chattery" unless you WPC treat the plates and mess with the initial torque and lock capacity.
GT86_PRAGUE (07-20-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 AM   #404
GT86_PRAGUE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
What are the noises you have and when do you have them? How do you have your differential setup (how many springs are you using? Have you deactivated any active clutch plates?) Did you get the plates WPC treated? Are you getting gear whine?

There's a lot that goes into this and clutch type diff's are normally a bit "chattery" unless you WPC treat the plates and mess with the initial torque and lock capacity.
I know shit about cars, the LSD was setup by local rally mechanic who do this things for almost all rally drivers in our country, so I sort of trust him. I dont mind little increase in NVH, but when I am parking and turning full left/right, there is a terrible twitch every 1 wheel turn (my guess). When going reverse it is less twitching but it feels so wrong. All mechanics and pro-drivers I met was surprised about this and said it is not healthy at all, but the guys who put that off and on and the rally mechanic who setup it claims it is oke if it is not presented when I step on clutch (then it is not present).
Running Millers Nano Oil 75w90, I have some notes about setup at home, it is on 1.5, used all 12 lamels but paired two of them, I know that one of three things they put in the opposite way (twitching is not the same left/right), preload is something like 80/8kg. Hope you decipher this.
I will do a video of this when I get car from service (in 2 weeks if I am lucky, I sort of scratch it).
All of this is noticeable when going <15 km/h. In 30, there is just nice clicking, but no twitching.
I can have this recalibrated, but I dont know how to guide these guys, the car is much more alive, much better acceleration from/in corners, I am very happy witch this and I wouldnt even mind the twitching (I quite like the aggressive feeling of the car) if EVERYONE wasnt saying it is so wrong.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #405
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86_PRAGUE View Post
I know shit about cars, the LSD was setup by local rally mechanic who do this things for almost all rally drivers in our country, so I sort of trust him. I dont mind little increase in NVH, but when I am parking and turning full left/right, there is a terrible twitch every 1 wheel turn (my guess). When going reverse it is less twitching but it feels so wrong. All mechanics and pro-drivers I met was surprised about this and said it is not healthy at all, but the guys who put that off and on and the rally mechanic who setup it claims it is oke if it is not presented when I step on clutch (then it is not present).
Running Millers Nano Oil 75w90, I have some notes about setup at home, it is on 1.5, used all 12 lamels but paired two of them, I know that one of three things they put in the opposite way (twitching is not the same left/right), preload is something like 80/8kg. Hope you decipher this.
I will do a video of this when I get car from service (in 2 weeks if I am lucky, I sort of scratch it).
All of this is noticeable when going <15 km/h. In 30, there is just nice clicking, but no twitching.
I can have this recalibrated, but I dont know how to guide these guys, the car is much more alive, much better acceleration from/in corners, I am very happy witch this and I wouldnt even mind the twitching (I quite like the aggressive feeling of the car) if EVERYONE wasnt saying it is so wrong.
Sounds like the "twitching" is just normal chatter during slow corners. There are 2 things you could do to alleviate this. First is to send your lamels (metal plates) out to get them WPC treated. Second thing you could do to help would be to lower the preload and only use 6 springs instead of all 12. I was warned that I was going to have chatter on slow corners and in parking lot type scenarios.
GT86_PRAGUE (07-20-2015)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #406
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Just wanted say thank you for this discussion and for the original post. I've been lurking for quite a long time and in reading up on it (almost daily) I’ve been finding this forum a great wealth of information.

This is the same direction I took on my AT Monaro (GTO in the states) a few years back to give her a little more low down power. She had the LS1, which was a rather high revving engine and I wanted to enhance the bottom end without expensive mods.

I am committed to getting into an 86 in the not too distant future and am intending to stay NA with regards to my mods. As I will be getting an AT I’m reading on with great interest and hoping to see how this transforms the AT equipped cars of our readers.
Greetings from the land of tomorrow.... (insert funny Futurama ep1 moment)

The car is everything you thought it would be and more.

Installed this mod on the A/T two weeks ago and, though still going through a 500km break in period, it feels amazing. Install went smooth and there are zero vibrations so far, but the break-in does not allow the car to go over 80kph or sit on a steady speed for long.

Speedo did not need any adjusting and it was essentially a straight forward drop in mod. Add an aluminium drive shaft and you have a really solid and relatively cheap mod. Good bang for your buck!
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cusco final drive