follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
dentalprodigy

Drives: 00 Accord LX, 14 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Advanced Driving Courses in NJ

Hi everyone!
With cold temperatures and inclement weather coming I often find myself wondering how I would react in certain out of control driving situations. My main concern is driving in snow. While I know the basics such as don't drive in inclement weather i.e snow and the importance of winter tires, I still have the itch in me to actually take a advanced driving course where they teach you how to control a RWD/FWD/AWD car in a skid. One can only watch and learn from soo much from youtube videos haha. And I'm too scared to mess around in an open parking lot b/c of the reaction from cops.

So if you know of a track, DMV/MVS or any driving instruction center that offers something like this in NJ please do share!

Thanks
dentalprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
You can contact Drive Safer it's a program aimed toward teenagers, but they do have a skid car they use etc. They may know of an advanced one if there is one.

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
dentalprodigy (11-28-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Audi Club has winter driving schools
Old 12-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalprodigy View Post
Hi everyone!
With cold temperatures and inclement weather coming I often find myself wondering how I would react in certain out of control driving situations. My main concern is driving in snow. While I know the basics such as don't drive in inclement weather i.e snow and the importance of winter tires, I still have the itch in me to actually take a advanced driving course where they teach you how to control a RWD/FWD/AWD car in a skid. One can only watch and learn from soo much from youtube videos haha. And I'm too scared to mess around in an open parking lot b/c of the reaction from cops.

So if you know of a track, DMV/MVS or any driving instruction center that offers something like this in NJ please do share!

Thanks
First off, most safety driving schools are going to how to save a skid. From your post it seems like you want to drift or something, not just recovering from a dangerous situation. Reason I say this is "I still have the itch in me to actually take a advanced driving course where they teach you how to control a RWD/FWD/AWD car in a skid."

The most relative option for adverse weather/road conditions would be a rally school. The closest one that pops to mind is Team O' Neil Rally School up in New Hampshire.

There are also Skip Barber Schools. Skip Barber operates out of New Jersey Motorsports Park and Watkins Glen. (No courses are currently being offered in these 2 locations at the moment)

Both options mentioned will cost you a pretty penny though.

If these are not what you are looking for, I would agree with AZP Installs and do a Drive Safer Course.

Other local clubs (mentioned by Scenic Driver) may also do some sort of course as well that you can look into.

Lastly, I would highly recommend doing some autocross when the autocross season starts again. Like you have said, you may have seen countless videos, read entire books, and know the theory inside and out. Unfortunately though, none of that comes to any good use without good ol' fashion experience. Reaction times, muscle memory, and other factors only come with experience. In the event of a skid or a slide, you do not have the time to think. Although autocross may not always have adverse conditions (they do take place in the rain as well), it gives you experience in your own car and helps you understand car dynamics. Drive safely!
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to engee For This Useful Post:
dentalprodigy (12-01-2014)