follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #43
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
can someone englarge the pictures about the exhaust
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #44
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Realistically, you don't gain much horsepower with a tune. But you gain lot of torque. Tuning makes the power band more linear. So the response on the low end will much quicker.
Personally intake or exhaust won't get much out of this car. 10 whp at tops. Again those are top-end power. You will probably loose some torque at the low end with just I/E. so tuning is a must if you are looking for "true" gain
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #45
Brian S

Drives: Hinda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
Realistically, you don't gain much horsepower with a tune. But you gain lot of torque. Tuning makes the power band more linear. So the response on the low end will much quicker.
Personally intake or exhaust won't get much out of this car. 10 whp at tops. Again those are top-end power. You will probably loose some torque at the low end with just I/E. so tuning is a must if you are looking for "true" gain
This. The dyno chart shown earlier in the thread clearly indentified the pro's of a simple tune. Exhaust restriction from the factory, due to emission regulations, increases back pressure in the EGR system to cool down high compression chambers to reduce NOx. By opening up the exhaust and properly tuning the ECU you should notice an improvment in acceleration. Hopefully the magnitude of negitve slope on the torque band can be decreased so it will be as close to zero as possible. Btw when you tune the ride do not use a piggyback.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #46
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
But yeah mods wise, it's looking like the FA is more like the F20/22, in that it will be harder to get more HP out of them.

But...we won't really know until we get our hands on them.
Well, I hope our bottom ends are as unbreakable as theirs.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #47
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
Good post. This isn't like modding a Turbo car where you'll see significant gains like from a TBE, and/or a tune. You really have to be happy with the power this car makes because you're really not going to get much more out of mods from it, outside of doing a FI kit, spray, or if someone made an internals kit (higher comp pistons/cams). Biggest change will be the sound of the car, which is cool to do.

You're getting better delivery, smoother power out of a tune most likely, and maybe a couple top end horses at best. This is the inherent problem with high-comp, small displacement NA engines, and how they limit you.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #48
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
id like to think this motor is comparable to a sr20 have similar dimensions, bore, stroke and displacement. those can rev freely up too 9 or 10k with valvetrain
Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #49
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The closest you can get to this engine is with the K20 and the Clio RS engine.
These can gain quite some hp with the right tune, with not much torque loss, so I'm going to be optimistic and say thate with the right full exhaust system and the best ECU we're going to see 15 hp of power increase.
With cams and intake even 30, so 220-230 flywheel hp and at least 10 nm of torque in the midrange, with peaks of 20, are feasible.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #50
tree fingers

Drives: '93 FD3S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I/H/E + Tune : No greater than 20whp/20wtq gain, but, realistically, more than +8/+8 The real key, I think, is going to be switching to a more efficient IM.
tree fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #51
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
With a relatively low redline and without variable valve lift, I don't think this engine will see major gains with just I/E/tune. But who knows, Subaru mentioned the engine easily hit its target output on its initial shake-down dyno run, so perhaps there is some untapped potential there.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #52
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
With a relatively low redline and without variable valve lift, I don't think this engine will see major gains with just I/E/tune. But who knows, Subaru mentioned the engine easily hit its target output on its initial shake-down dyno run, so perhaps there is some untapped potential there.
I think it's a question of how much low end torque you're willing to give up. As Dimman pointed out before, the 3S-GE can make better than Ferrari 458 specific torque with the TRD cams (and ITB/intake assembly, exhaust, and 13.1 compression), but if you're stuck without variable cam profiles then your low end torque basically doesn't exist :P

My proposed solution: a true performance oriented mild hybrid system to boost low end torque so it feels like a 2.4L everywhere
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #53
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I know when I saw the TRD version of the FRS at the Toyota museum. I ask the lady which is the head of TRD USA, what are the HP number on the intake is 9hp and the exhaust is 4hp. I do not know if each gain is the part alone or compounded each other though. But there are numbers to be gain if her statement is which is probably true.
Pekingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #54
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
With a relatively low redline and without variable valve lift, I don't think this engine will see major gains with just I/E/tune.
i believe this motor has variable valve timing
Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #55
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
i believe this motor has variable valve timing
Timing yes. Lift no.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #56
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
I'm gonna leave it alone. OEM Bone Stock. The most I'd do is roll around 17 inch rims with some sticky tires in the summer, that's about it. And put snow tires on the stock rims for the winter since I do live in the mountains, god snow driving in this car is going to be interesting, if even feasable? (nothing like driving an impreza in a blizzard) :o
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote