follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #71
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Right, so obviously it can work. Lots of people seem to think it can't work though, and that's why I made that comment.

BTW, any time you add weight low in the car (like adding AWD, for example), you're lowering the center of gravity of the car.
3 things
1. Read what I said and what want.frs said on last page, and what nafe and nardi said on this page..
2. Realize that to achieve what you are saying the engine needs to be moved up, back or forward
3. Realize that moving it forward in front of the front wheels, you loose the handling of a midship, moving up you loose low center of gravity as engine + gearbox weighs significantly more than front transfer case and axle, and moving back requires re-fab of firewall and tunnel

Now that you are more educated, drop this
Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #72
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not talking about turning the car into a WRX. Personally, I hate the WRX just because of its styling alone. I'd love to see that drivetrain in a low-slung two-door coupe though. Again, it would bring me back to my old Eagle Talon days.
If that's the case, forget the BRZ and get a SVX.....

I guess the SVX was such a "good idea" that it sold lots of them.......
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nardi330 For This Useful Post:
Surok (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #73
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
If that's the case, forget the BRZ and get a SVX.....

I guess the SVX was such a "good idea" that it sold lots of them.......
The SVX was just a horrible car from the beginning, but not because of it's drivetrain configuration. It was overpriced (cost up to $35,000 about 20 years ago!) and it was a heavy pig. Plus it was ugly. Those windows alone wrecked the looks of the car. No thanks, I'd take something like an Eagle Talon over an SVX any day.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Shadow For This Useful Post:
Surok (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
You just don't get it do you. You are asking the front diff etc to be where the engine is. So unless they find a way to make both the engine and front drive train smaller, they will need to move something to a different location. Or they make more space to fit those parts and then the body dimension and shape change.

You can't really move the drivetrain because otherwise it can't drive the front wheels. So what do u do? U move the engine and guess what? The layout will then becomes like the WRX.

What you are asking is something like, it would be nice if the BRZ has 7 seats in the same size. I can carry lots more people and have fun at the same time. If they want to do it, surely they can.....
Blah, blah, blah. I'm telling you that it can be done. I'm not interested in discussing the technicalities of it all because that's pointless. Actually, this whole discussion is pointless because they obviously aren't going to make these cars AWD. It was simply a comment about a "wish" list of AWD and turbocharging to make the car into something that it's not. I'm not sure why people like you have to piss in my Cheerios simply because I said that the car would be fantastic with a turbo AWD drivetrain in it. Does it hurt your feelings that I feel that way? No? Then stop with all your "can't be done because of blah blah & blah blah", okay?

BTW, people said that the Corvette could never has its transmission in the back of the car, separated from the engine. But guess what? Yup, they did it.

BTW, I drive an AWD turbo car with a 6MT right now. It is RWD biased and uses a longitudinally mounted engine. It also uses a transaxle instead of a transmission. Yup, that's right...the front differential is built right into the trans (hence, the transaxle designation). Typically, transaxles are something you see behind transverse mounted engines. The moral of the story? Well, open your mind and understand that there are lots of ways to do things besides the conventional way.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #75
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
3 things
1. Read what I said and what want.frs said on last page, and what nafe and nardi said on this page..
2. Realize that to achieve what you are saying the engine needs to be moved up, back or forward
3. Realize that moving it forward in front of the front wheels, you loose the handling of a midship, moving up you loose low center of gravity as engine + gearbox weighs significantly more than front transfer case and axle, and moving back requires re-fab of firewall and tunnel

Now that you are more educated, drop this
1. Realize that my original comment was just a wish list (AWD & turbo) and wasn't meant to start any kind of technical discussion on the limitations of the current chassis & drivetrain

2. Realize that anything is possible, given the desire to achieve it.

3. Realize that I really don't want to get into a pissing match with people like you who are so easily butthurt by someone who would like to see any kind of change to the current car.

Now that you are more educated, move on and read some other posts instead of continuing to debate mine.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #76
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Woooo!!!! My turn!!!
1/ Everything is a compromise.
2/ If the BRZ/86 had awd and/or turbo then it wouldn't be this car; it would be some other car.
3/ Any one product can not be all things to all people.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #77
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Of course it can be done.. Anything is possible. Probable and possible are two different things
I couldn't care less if this car was NOW made with turbo awd, the initial promise was already met
How many cylinders does your awd have?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #78
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. I'm telling you that it can be done. I'm not interested in discussing the technicalities of it all because that's pointless. Actually, this whole discussion is pointless because they obviously aren't going to make these cars AWD. It was simply a comment about a "wish" list of AWD and turbocharging to make the car into something that it's not. I'm not sure why people like you have to piss in my Cheerios simply because I said that the car would be fantastic with a turbo AWD drivetrain in it. Does it hurt your feelings that I feel that way? No? Then stop with all your "can't be done because of blah blah & blah blah", okay?

BTW, people said that the Corvette could never has its transmission in the back of the car, separated from the engine. But guess what? Yup, they did it.

BTW, I drive an AWD turbo car with a 6MT right now. It is RWD biased and uses a longitudinally mounted engine. It also uses a transaxle instead of a transmission. Yup, that's right...the front differential is built right into the trans (hence, the transaxle designation). Typically, transaxles are something you see behind transverse mounted engines. The moral of the story? Well, open your mind and understand that there are lots of ways to do things besides the conventional way.
Yes it would be fantastic to have a car with GTR performance, with fuel economy of a Prius, top speed of a Veryon and cost of a BRZ. It's my wish list.....
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #79
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Yes it would be fantastic to have a car with GTR performance, with fuel economy of a Prius, top speed of a Veryon and cost of a BRZ. It's my wish list.....
Well, I'm not going to piss in your Cheerios. Your wish list is yours. Mine has nothing to do with GTR performance and Prius fuel economy at a bargain-basement price. Personally, I pretty much have my wish list in the car I currently drive. But if they made the FR-S/BRZ with a turbo (and possibly AWD), I'd strongly consider buying one. Actually, if they just add a factory turbo, that would probably sway me enough to buy one. AWD would just be icing on the cake, but sometimes I eat my cake without the icing.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #80
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
How many cylinders does your awd have?
Four cylinders. One turbo. RWD-biased AWD. 6-speed manual transmission. It's a great car and lots of fun to drive.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #81
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
But if they made the FR-S/BRZ with a turbo (and possibly AWD), I'd strongly consider buying one. Actually, if they just add a factory turbo, that would probably sway me enough to buy one. AWD would just be icing on the cake, but sometimes I eat my cake without the icing.
Haven't you just described WRX?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #82
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (11-25-2012), st162celica (11-25-2012), ZZT86 (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #83
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

^ lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #84
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I dont understand this obsession with AWD? Why are you so adamant to get AWD?

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote