follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2023, 08:07 PM   #953
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Why would you feel embarrassed? Seems like an odd thing to say when you owned two.
Be it taking my girl out to dinner and pulling up to a valet in front of a nice restaurant or leaving a work function, it was embarrassing at times. I don’t feel that way anymore with this gen. Simple as that. It’s more refined and a higher class looking car. That is the best way I can explain it. Sorry to hurt anyone’s feelings.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:24 PM   #954
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
I’ve had two GEN ones and the immediate things I noticed when I was driving home from the dealership with my GEN two was a better steering wheel, less road noise, better quality materials, such as the pillars, the arm rest the gauges, the opening and closing of the glove box felt premium of course the engine the feel of the ride. I felt like I was driving a more mature adult sports car.

I’m gonna say something that may make some angry, but there were times when I was driving my first generation that made me a little embarrassed with the car. I don’t feel embarrassed with this version. Some of you may know what I’m talking about.
Quote:
Be it taking my girl out to dinner and pulling up to a valet in front of a nice restaurant or leaving a work function, it was embarrassing at times. I don’t feel that way anymore with this gen. Simple as that. It’s more refined and a higher class looking car. That is the best way I can explain it. Sorry to hurt anyone’s feelings.
I have to wonder if you are *joking*!

I loved my '17 PP, I love my '23. They are not that different, I do miss a few things from the '17, but the new one is a lot faster at the track so all is cool. But the idea that the old car was *embarrasing* and the new one somehow isn't?! I mean, I literally had a fellow FT86 owner/tracker at the track complement me on how well my old '17 car "fixed up" after the incident, when he was looking at my new '23!

Old car was GREAT, new car is GREAT. I *LOVE* them!
Attached Images

ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (08-24-2023), WildCard600 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #955
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
sounds like you're too fancy for the car!

all my out-to-eat meals involve a drive-thru!

even after 8 years, 2015 is the absolute newest of this car i ever want to go, and nothing sports-car from anything in the last 20 years really ticks the same boxes for me.
Dadhawk (08-24-2023), Spuds (08-24-2023), WildCard600 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 08:33 PM   #956
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I have and will still tell the valet I'll park it myself.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:06 PM   #957
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I kind of understand, but then I stop and think about how I'll be retired at 50 and all my colleagues will still be working at 70 because they couldn't resist that BMW or Audi and have to finance a new one every 3-4 years so they don't "look poor" and drive home to their expensive house in the trendy neighborhood while I get in my long paid off 86 and drive to my modest house that's "too much of a drive" away all of a sudden it doesn't' bother me anymore.

Bonus points for not sweating our bonus % every year because it's already been spent the year before financing the aforementioned status symbols and can comfortably tuck it away in a brokerage account and maybe move retirement up to 49 or 48.

Maybe you're already independently wealthy and that situation doesn't apply, if so disregard.
WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:56 PM   #958
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
trust fund kids smh
Old 08-24-2023, 04:24 AM   #959
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
You're not hurting anyone's feelings. The old car wasn't good enough/upscale enough for you. That's fine, but I don't understand why you'd feel any different about the new one. The car isn't that different and everyone will know what it is soon. A cheap sports car. (A fantastic one!) People stopped me to ask what the car was when I first got it. Not anymore.

You'll likely be embarrassed by the Gen 2 soon enough.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-24-2023), nikitopo (08-24-2023), soundman98 (08-24-2023), Spuds (08-24-2023), Ultramaroon (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #960
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Eh, I don't see the first gen as embarrassing. In fact part of the reason I bought one is so that me and the girlfriend can go to autocrosses and track days together. I had been using my 2nd gen for that, but I don't love using my main car as a track day car. My Miata is a shitbox that I won't drive her around in. AC doesn't work and it's kind of a deathtrap, I also don't trust it for longer trips. The first gen has working AC and shows no signs of major issues. I still like my 2nd gen a lot more, it feels like a more grown up sports car than the 1st gen.

I find both of them to be a generation behind on the interior from what pretty much everything else is doing. It's the price to pay for a cheap sports car. The 1st gen feels like something from the mid to late 2000s, and the 2nd feels like something from the mid twenty-teens. My 2017 Camaro had a nicer interior than the 2nd gen, and the girlfriend's 2017 Civic seems about equal. I have less recent experience with late 2000s cars, but the most recent was a 2011 Mustang, which Mustang's aren't exactly known for their interior quality, and it seems roughly similar to the 1st gen.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:14 AM   #961
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
I still have a DVD/BR hooked up to the tv since I refuse to re-buy movies digitally and I don't have the patience to rip every movie or tv series I own to purely digital.

Speaking of video games, I think the last game I bought that came on disk was probably around 2004 before Valve's Steam service really started picking up. I remember people getting into what basically amounted to school yard fights over blu-ray vs hd-dvd and feeling like they were arguing over the fastest antique car in the junkyard.

Now that ODEs are quickly becoming ubiquitous I really need to take stock of my retro optical disk software and probably send it down the road before the market pricing takes a hit.
Yeah, I didn't really start buying games digitally until the PS4. At least before then you could go back to game stop and get $10 for them. Not much, but better than nothing.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #962
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
That's an odd take, but i can kind of see where you're coming from.

Depends on what year you got i guess, cuz IMO the original ones from 13-16 looks pretty boy-racerish, the refresh in 2017-2020 looked a little more grown up, and the 22+ 2nd gen does give it an even more refined, "adult" look compared to the first gen. Alot of this is actually kind of hindsight though, cuz each newer iteration makes the older one look...well...old.

I don't think any of them would be "embarrassing" to be in though regardless of status (unless you mod the shit out of it, then it could be embarassing for different reasons).....

If you're driving a Twin of any kind somewhere and its being "compared" so to speak to say an F type or an M3/M4 or something of that ilk....I wouldnt think its embarassing, but the 2nd gen does look a little closer to their level than the first gen does imo.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #963
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Hah, some of us hold on to the bitter end. It was almost impossible to find a decent case that still had a full width drive bay for an internal DVD drive on my last computer build about 18 months ago.

Forget save the manual, how about saving the physical media!
I have an old laptop (or two) with a CD/DVD R/W drive, but as I'm an old IT guy I have an external CD/DVD R/W drive that has a built-in USB cable (tucks underneath for easy portability) - that's what I use on the rare occasion I need to use optical media.

It actually comes up more often than you'd think - there are machines out there that can be incredibly stubborn about booting from USB. Being able to "identify as an optical drive" has made a complicated problem simple at least 4 times in the last year. Well-worth the $20 I spent years ago on this thing.

(Incidentally, if you're looking for a device specifically for that issue, IODD makes an external SSD that can do all that and more - the ST400. LOVE that thing. Holds a crap-ton of ISOs and can mount them like an optical drive, USB, whatever you like. But it won't rip CDs.)

As far as the point about selecting certain songs or not, ripping large music collections, and so on:

First up, saying it's a big job is an argument for starting now - not ignoring it entirely. If you think it's going to get easier to listen to CDs in your car in the future you're not paying attention to the way things are going. So eventually THAT is going to become the harder task. If you wait until then to start converting your music collection to MP3 it's going to take that much longer to get it done and you may have difficulty finding an external optical drive then. Imagine if you wanted to convert an 8-track collection to digital media today... that'd be awful. The sooner you start, the sooner you finish.

Plus, there's nothing to say you have to do every CD, or that you have to do them alphabetically or whatever. Do your favorites first. Get the most important stuff done, then do the rest as time allows. NBD.

Second, don't think of it in terms of only ripping the songs you want to listen to in the car. Do them all - the time you spend making the decision of what to keep and what to discard is probably greater than the time of just converting everything, and the space they take up is negligible in modern storage. My entire library is something like 12,000 songs and takes 55GB of space. It's not tiny, but you can get a 1TB external drive for like $50-100 depending on speed/quality these days. That'd hold my entire library 18 times over.

You just want to get every single song moved from CD to MP3 and stored somewhere convenient. Then you move the specific songs you want to a USB drive to listen to in the car. (Use the smallest USB drive you can find that isn't super old/slow, and keep the song-count reasonable - a few hundred or so - because most vehicle systems don't read very large drives or file systems well.)

If you wanna get nuts, look at something like Plex which can allow you to do music, TV, and movies all on the same media server. They have a phone app (PlexAmp) so that you can stream music right off your computer at home onto your phone (and thereby your car via Android Auto or CarPlay). I don't do that personally - I have it set up but I either listen to the USB drive or Pandora.

Not once have I missed having CDs in the car. They were such a hassle - either rolling around loose or having to mess with a binder of discs, trying to find a particular one that was never where it was supposed to be... digital files don't slide off the seat when you brake hard, and are always right where you put them.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 02:46 PM   #964
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I never got comments like “that looks like a Porsche” or I thought I saw your car but it was a Caymen type comments when I had my Gen 1’s. Now I get it all the time. I get asked questions at the gas station at red lights everywhere. When I went to a nice steakhouse they parked my car out front next to some very nice exotics, instead of shepherding it underground. It felt good. That’s all I am saying I feel like I’m driving a nicer car than what it is, and I am proud everywhere I go, that was not always the case before.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:44 PM   #965
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I never got comments like “that looks like a Porsche” or I thought I saw your car but it was a Caymen type comments when I had my Gen 1’s. Now I get it all the time. I get asked questions at the gas station at red lights everywhere. When I went to a nice steakhouse they parked my car out front next to some very nice exotics, instead of shepherding it underground. It felt good. That’s all I am saying I feel like I’m driving a nicer car than what it is, and I am proud everywhere I go, that was not always the case before.
if i keep up on keeping the car clean, i still get comments like that. it's really fun when they start pestering me on when it came out, and i get to say "7 years ago"...
Old 08-24-2023, 08:56 PM   #966
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Additionally, it would only cost you "over 30k" if you ignore the thread topic entirely - "any good reason to stick with 1st Gen".

For an additional $30+k what you're talking about is keeping your 1st Gen and buying a 2nd Gen on top of that. foshjowler is specifically referencing his experience as an owner of both at the same time to provide insight.

The 2nd Gen is a much better car. If the list price minus the trade-in for your car isn't worth getting a better car to you, then it's not worth it to you.

People make more/less money and consider their "car budget" to be a larger/smaller portion of that money. I've seen people living in squalor driving brand-new SUVs, and people in nice neighborhoods driving old beaters. Just a question of how much of your money you're willing to spend on how much car.

No judgement from me (or most people with useful opinions) unless it's the jackass who can't put food on the table for their kids but has a tricked-out Escalade to cruise around in.
Not arguing if it’s a better car, I believe it is. I believe it is essentially the same experience and not worth it when my car at 100k miles looks and functions practically new. I would rather put that money towards a different experience. Which I did when I bought a 981 cayman. Best part is even after driving the cayman, I still love driving the BRZ. Now if I could just get that sweet flat 6 exhaust on the BRZ.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote