follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #15
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
keeping it in the hot sun during summer should do the most to get those smells out. I cant imagine them lasting years!

100 degree day with sunshine should bake it clean. I guess Tcoat is like up by arctic circle.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:17 AM   #16
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Isn't it great? But why? The smell source is toxic, can't be good for you. I think the main reason we love the smell is that it reminds us that we have a new car.

My wife is one of these (rare?) people who don't like the new car smell. Gives her a headache, she says. So I've been driving around with the windows down to try to get rid of it.

How long did it take for the new car smell to dissipate on your car?

CJ

I live in a hot climate and mine was gone after about a year..

Not sure if applicable however Mothers Day is coming up, you could get her this(if you like sleeping on the couch);

Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
Frisco (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Excelent question OP. I have tried several of these cars and all had some sort of plastic odor, and I hate that too.
My 2 cents to the story - I would personally try ozone cleaning. Find a company that have the ozone machine (or you can borrow it) put that into your car and try a treatment, or two or three...
If you try, please report back!

Normally, odors and everything goes into... ...everything. Smells are in the seats, upholstery, aircon ducting. By ozoning with closed recirculation you can kill the smell on most places in the car.
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDM4E For This Useful Post:
Frisco (05-09-2017), ~el~jefe~ (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
My 2 cents to the story - I would personally try ozone cleaning. Find a company that have the ozone machine (or you can borrow it) put that into your car and try a treatment, or two or three...
Ozone cleaning is great for getting rid of smells, but ozone also eats wiring and electronics. I would only use it if there were a real problem. For example, if my car smelled like a dead body or had a mold problem, I would ozone it in a heartbeat. But just to get rid of a new car smell, I really wouldn't consider that offensive enough or dangerous enough to justify the wear on the electrical system.

My brother's girlfriend had a mold problem in her house, so he left his ozone generator in her basement for two weeks and stayed at his place. They came back to a flooded basement. The ozone had eaten through a seal on her washing machine. The dryer also never worked right again because the electronics in the control unit were eaten up. And the switch on the zone generator itself had gone bad. Granted, most people aren't going to ozone their cars for two weeks, but it does inflict damage, no matter how slight.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Frisco (05-09-2017), MuseChaser (05-09-2017), Tcoat (05-09-2017), ~el~jefe~ (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
JDM4E

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Ozone cleaning is great for getting rid of smells, but ozone also eats wiring and electronics. I would only use it if there were a real problem. For example, if my car smelled like a dead body or had a mold problem, I would ozone it in a heartbeat. But just to get rid of a new car smell, I really wouldn't consider that offensive enough or dangerous enough to justify the wear on the electrical system.

My brother's girlfriend had a mold problem in her house, so he left his ozone generator in her basement for two weeks and stayed at his place. They came back to a flooded basement. The ozone had eaten through a seal on her washing machine. The dryer also never worked right again because the electronics in the control unit were eaten up. And the switch on the zone generator itself had gone bad. Granted, most people aren't going to ozone their cars for two weeks, but it does inflict damage, no matter how slight.
Well I had never heard that, but to my knowledge these things are supposed to be turned on for about an hour. Your experience is VERY extreme, that is like saying that you can die from drinking water so you should not drink it at all. Also, you have to periodically let the place air out after the iteration! I am not an expert on this, but it is something how the molecules reacts and break-up.
However, I will double check with ozone providers what they have to say about this, thanks for the comment
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't remember mine having much of a new car smell.

I've got an 04 Mustang though that still gives you a whiff of it every now and then.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #21
JDM4E

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-car-...ars-are-worst/

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/su...gcarsmell.html

Check also this mega-study
http://www.ecocenter.org/sites/defau.../2012_Cars.pdf
sadly they did it before our cars were on sale

Last edited by JDM4E; 05-12-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Be very very wary when reading this sort of thing. Even the "worst" of those cars comes in several magnitudes below the hazardous levels of what they tested for. Sure It could be said that any level is bad but if you live in a city you are exposed to much greater levels of even worse stuff everyday. It sounds far worse than it is and I am not convinced that a study on ecocenter.org and completed by healthystuff.com is exactly unbiased in the first place. They had better points on end of use hazards than they did in exposure to occupants.

Keep in mind that there are both hazard and odour thresholds for materials and they are not at the same level. There are things that you can smell far before they will harm you and things that will kill you that have no discernible odour. Don't be tricked into thinking that just because you smell something it is at a level that will harm you.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Excelent question OP. I have tried several of these cars and all had some sort of plastic odor, and I hate that too.

Normally, odors and everything goes into... ...everything. Smells are in the seats, upholstery, aircon ducting. By ozoning with closed recirculation you can kill the smell on most places in the car.
An ozone machine would kill the odour but the materials creating the odour are still there. If actually concerned about the "chemical" in the car then using an ozone machine will do nothing. It doesn't destroy chemicals. If it did air pollution would not ever exist.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #24
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
5 months later, my car still has the new car smell. Probably because it only has 1800 miles
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #25
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think a lot of the new-car smell is from the gassing-off of heavy lubricants and glues that go on some interior parts.

If you're having trouble with bad interior odor, my solutions are: Remove anything wet that may cause mildew. Use Damprid moisture absorbing bags to absorb residual wetness. Change your cabin air filter. Get a Subaru A/C refresher kit and follow directions.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z0***Co.jpg[/IMG]

Also it's probably a good idea to remove your sweat and oils from your car seats before that gets funky, I vacuum the cloth seats often and use a bissel hot-water extractor hand tool, then air out or use damprid to get rid of all the moisture.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:10 AM   #26
JDM4E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
5 months later, my car still has the new car smell. Probably because it only has 1800 miles
How is your new car smell now?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #27
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
How is your new car smell now?
Non existent
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #28
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Isn't it great? But why? The smell source is toxic, can't be good for you. I think the main reason we love the smell is that it reminds us that we have a new car.

My wife is one of these (rare?) people who don't like the new car smell. Gives her a headache, she says. So I've been driving around with the windows down to try to get rid of it.

How long did it take for the new car smell to dissipate on your car?

CJ
Do all synthetic type smells give her a headache? Could try a spray fabric freshener to mask it for a bit if not

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote