follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
lazyfrs

Drives: 2015 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need advice

Alright. So I kinda screwed up. I tried drifting for the first time and it didnt go too well. At first glance I could tell I bent my control arm. Upon further investigation my buddies and I found more stuff bent. Tie rod, trailing arm, and upper control arm + ball joint. Purchased those parts and installed them myself. When I took her to get an alignment, they found my subframe has been bent. See link below.

https://imgur.com/a/laXy0yo

What should I do to fix this last problem? The axels are fine and nothing else is messed up down there, except the subframe.

Would it be beneficial for me to unbend it myself with a torch and some hitting power? Replace the subframe myself? Or have it done by a shop?

Subframes are about $250 which isn't the cheapest but this is an expensive mistake that ive come to own up to. Any advice?
lazyfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfrs View Post
Alright. So I kinda screwed up. I tried drifting for the first time and it didnt go too well. At first glance I could tell I bent my control arm. Upon further investigation my buddies and I found more stuff bent. Tie rod, trailing arm, and upper control arm + ball joint. Purchased those parts and installed them myself. When I took her to get an alignment, they found my subframe has been bent. See link below.

What should I do to fix this last problem? The axels are fine and nothing else is messed up down there, except the subframe.

Would it be beneficial for me to unbend it myself with a torch and some hitting power? Replace the subframe myself? Or have it done by a shop?

Subframes are about $250 which isn't the cheapest but this is an expensive mistake that ive come to own up to. Any advice?
Replace it. Subframes are designed to give, like a crumple zone. Do it yourself or pay to have it done, totally dependent on your comfort level.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-20-2019), soundman98 (06-19-2019), strat61caster (06-19-2019), Tristor (06-20-2019), wparsons (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
norcalpb

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limted
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

The subframe will also come with bushings. Frankly itís a really good deal.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags

Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Crashing is not screwing up, it's learning. Make sure you can learn from this, or drifting won't go well for you at any point. It's a positive interaction between a desired result, and an actual result. It's just an expensive hobby, you'll get it!

Do not be discouraged.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-20-2019), soundman98 (06-19-2019), Tristor (06-20-2019), why? (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
EndlessAzure

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If you can do it yourself, you can try. It's usually labor that kills you on most services.

Personally, I'd just leave it alone if I could. As long as it is still structurally good (no cracks in the metal beams) and there isn't any rubbing/interference, I would just keep the damaged one on there and regularly monitor it.

How did the alignment turn out? Were they able to dial it back to your desired specs? If the alignment couldn't be corrected, have you considered just upgrading to adjustable suspension components to allow you to dial the alignment in?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Quote:

How/What did you hit that did all that damage?
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
If you can do it yourself, you can try. It's usually labor that kills you on most services.

Personally, I'd just leave it alone if I could. As long as it is still structurally good (no cracks in the metal beams) and there isn't any rubbing/interference, I would just keep the damaged one on there and regularly monitor it.

How did the alignment turn out? Were they able to dial it back to your desired specs? If the alignment couldn't be corrected, have you considered just upgrading to adjustable suspension components to allow you to dial the alignment in?
It's not structurally good. When it is hit the mounts collapse and you replace the subframe. That would be the same as crashing the front and only replacing the sheet metal. Fix it properly and move on.

Lesson learned, don't do donuts next to curbs.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-19-2019), Tristor (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #8
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Drifting - Not "If" yo crash, but WHEN you crash.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-20-2019), Leonardo (06-20-2019), soundman98 (06-20-2019), Tristor (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,071 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hence why important choosing location where one crashes , to make inevitable mistakes, when learning, cost less. Big parking areas, tracks .. where even if one slides wrong it's not crash, just slide until stop in wide empty area or on grass/snow in runoff area. I had learned it in past in hard way too, except it was on front of car and even much more expensive then for OP.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-20-2019), soundman98 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,047 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You'll never get the subframe fixed without a known good jig for it. Just buy the replacement and install it. "Looks close" doesn't work well on things like subframes and suspension components.