follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #127
new2subaru

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 1,511 Times in 900 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
How'd you make the spacers? Me likey.
I made them out of some Ollite's we had at the shop. Pressed them together, cut them and milled them flat. A friend milled them. I learned.

A piece of round stock cut to length with a hole drilled in it would be much easier but it was free. Or you could likely buy some from Mcmaster Carr.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #128
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Here's what I ended up doing. I ordered these taller battery terminals. As you can see in the pic below they ended up shorter than the ones in the OP

https://www.amazon.ca/XS-Power-586-A.../dp/B004XH69MY

I ended making a 3/4" spacer and buying new bolts. The bolts are 6mm x 45mm and were only a couple of bucks. I'm happy with the end result. I wanted to avoid the "Z" brackets and have a single connection.

whats the cable in the middle of the battery?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #129
new2subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
whats the cable in the middle of the battery?

That's the Shorai Battery charger cable. I have it permanently hooked up in case I need to charge if it sits. I can charge it will the hood closed.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #130
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I read this battery requires about 14.4v to c
harge. The alternator puts out about this much when the headlights are turned on. Is there a way to have the alternator output this higher voltage when the headlights are off?
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #131
new2subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
I read this battery requires about 14.4v to c
harge. The alternator puts out about this much when the headlights are turned on. Is there a way to have the alternator output this higher voltage when the headlights are off?

IIRC the alternator was putting out 14.5V at idle, assuming my meter is accurate. Or, the alternator was kicking in because the battery needed charging.

One month since install and zero issues. I accidentally left it for about a week without hooking up the charger and it still started no probs even though when tested I was down to 13.25V. Anything below 13V is supposed to be a problem...I got lucky. Duh...I forget it's there.

I have no head unit in the car. I'm not sure what that would draw when the car is turned off.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #132
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I've left my car for 8 days, came back, cranked no problem. I honestly think folks are overthinking it. I live in Texas and it regularly gets over 100 in my garage, so I seriously doubt anyone is going to encounter issues unless they just never drive the car. As long as its got a nominal voltage of around 12.8V or better it should crank, and your alternator should recharge the battery. To get back to peak nominal voltage takes about 20-30 minutes of driving.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #133
new2subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I've left my car for 8 days, came back, cranked no problem. I honestly think folks are overthinking it. I live in Texas and it regularly gets over 100 in my garage, so I seriously doubt anyone is going to encounter issues unless they just never drive the car. As long as its got a nominal voltage of around 12.8V or better it should crank, and your alternator should recharge the battery. To get back to peak nominal voltage takes about 20-30 minutes of driving.

Based on the way it cranks I would agree with you. Going back to "I forget it's there"
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #134
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
The problem isnít hot weather itís more cold weather. But the people who have problems typically live in colder weather and most likely have something that has a constant draw on the battery even when car is off like alarm system, remote start, parking dash cameras etc.. or they have a 5 minute commute and never fully recharge the battery. Otherwise for the most part yes you can forget about it and use like normal battery. Only time I hook up to charger is if itís sat for 5+days. If I know Iím not going to drive for 4+ days before hand I just unplug terminal, can sit for a year if it has zero draw. If I donít know like this winter on day 4 when I was planning on driving it snowed so on day 5 i hooked up to a charger. Otherwise I just forget about it. Off a full charge I started car 5 times in a row little to no idle and 5th start up still cranked harder then OEM battery on full charge.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote