follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #99
Jordanwolf
真真

Drives: 2017 900whp beast
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
I'm using mash as a superlative. It's definitely easier to get moving in something like a Golf R or WRX STI in the snow than the Civic Type-R.
The difference is negligible when driving normally.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #100
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I traded in my 2016 BRZ Limited for a Civic Type R back in March of this year after owning it for three years and putting 80,000 miles on it. I bought my BRZ new with 13 miles on the odometer.

I had my share of issues with the BRZ including a timing cover/cam carrier oil leak at 40K miles, cam sensor/OCV repeated check engine lights at 60K miles, and my throwout bearing eventually went at 75K miles. At the time when I traded it in, both valve cover gaskets were showing signs of oil seepage. Needless to say, I have dumped more money into repairs on a three year old car after the warranty expired than I would have expected to.

With that said, I have always been a Honda guy at heart, so I made the choice to get into a Civic Type R.

How is the Civic Type R? Well at first, experiencing the acceleration was quite a change, but I have gotten used to it. However, ripping through first and second gear is still a rush. Peak torque kicks in at low RPM, and it just pulls all the way to redline. Forget about traction in the lower gears, the tires just like to break loose in both dry and wet.

People say the car is quiet, but the engine makes an audible and noticeable sound from the cabin. You can hear, and feel the low booming at low revs, but as you lay into the throttle, the engine almost sounds like a lesser pitched F1 engine.

Brakes have no issues whatsoever. The bite is very good, but not twitchy like an on/off switch. The only complaint is a bunch of brake dust from the factory metallic pads, and brake squeal with the Brembos.

Handling feels awesome. It is different than the BRZ, but it can turn corners the same, if not better. The only major thing is you feel that you are in a bigger car.

Shifter feel, I would say both cars are notchy, and precise. But they are different as the Civic Type R is connected via cables to the transmission, and the BRZ is not.

As far as ride comfort, the Civic Type R seats are more supportive, but slightly less comfortable than the BRZ seats. The adaptive dampers that the Civic Type R has are an added plus, along with the three different driving modes. You can definitely feel a change in throttle response, and suspension when you switch between the modes for either commuting on the highway, or spirited driving on a back road.

As far as infotainment, my 2016 BRZ Limited did not have navigation or Android Auto/Apple Car Play. The Civic Type R does. Bluetooth connectivity is also instant in where my BRZ took a bit longer to connect. Sound quality is better in the Civic Type R, since it has more speakers, and it comes equipped with a factory subwoofer.

And interior space, with large hatch area, and back seats for people to sit comfortably in. This is an added plus over the BRZ.

Last edited by Si_Chris; 07-10-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-12-2019), Jordanwolf (06-06-2019), SkyeHack (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:25 AM   #101
Captain Snooze
Because compromise

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,146 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
to Ken Block in
Ken Block transitive verb
Synonym of destroyed tyres
See also hoonigan

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #102
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: '17 White 860. Some TRD things.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If I wanted a to drive a car almost as ugly, I could do it a lot cheaper in a used Pontiac Aztec.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-12-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #103
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The difference is negligible when driving normally.
No, not really. I winter drive my Miata and Golf R. One is infinitely easier to get moving than the other.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #104
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
No, not really. I winter drive my Miata and Golf R. One is infinitely easier to get moving than the other.
Do they both have the same snow tires?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #105
Jordanwolf
真真

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
I traded in my 2016 BRZ Limited for a Civic Type R back in March of this year after owning it for three years and putting 80,000 miles on it. I bought my BRZ new with 13 miles on the odometer.

I had my share of issues with the BRZ including a timing cover/cam carrier oil leak at 40K miles, cam sensor/OCV repeated check engine lights at 60K miles, and my throwout bearing eventually went at 75K miles. At the time when I traded it in, both valve cover gaskets were showing signs of oil seepage. Needless to say, I have dumped more money into repairs on a three year old car after the warranty expired than I would have expected to.

With that said, I have always been a Honda guy at heart, so I made the choice to get into a Civic Type R.

How is the Civic Type R? Well at first, experiencing the acceleration was quite a change, but I have gotten used to it. However, ripping through first and second gear is still a rush. Peak torque kicks in at low RPM, and it just pulls all the way to redline. Forget about traction in the lower gears, the tires just like to break loose in both dry and wet.

People say the car is quiet, but the engine makes an audible and noticeable sound from the cabin. You can hear, and feel the low booming at low revs, but as you lay into the throttle, the engine almost sounds like a lesser pitched F1 engine.

Brakes have no issues whatsoever. The bite is very good, but not twitchy like an on/off switch. The only complaint is a bunch of brake dust from the factory metallic pads, and brake squeal with the Brembos.

Handling feels awesome. It is different than the BRZ, but it can turn corners the same, if not better. The only major thing is you feel that you are in a bigger car.

Shifter feel, I would say both cars are notchy, and precise. But they are different as the Civic Type R is connected via cables to the transmission, and the BRZ is not.

As far as ride comfort, the Civic Type R seats are more supportive, but slightly less comfortable than the BRZ seats. The adaptive dampers that the Civic Type R has are an added plus, along with the three different driving modes. You can definitely feel a change in throttle response, and suspension when you switch between the modes for either commuting on the highway, or spirited driving on a back road.

As far as infotainment, my 2016 BRZ Limited did not have navigation or Android Auto/Apple Car Play. The Civic Type R does. Bluetooth connectivity is also instant in where my BRZ took a bit longer to connect. Sound quality is better in the Civic Type R, since it has more speakers, and it comes equipped with a factory subwoofer.

And interior space, with large hatch area, and back seats for people to sit comfortably in. This is an added plus over the BRZ.

My old BRZ:

My Civic Type R (and my old Civic SI I have owned for 13 years):
Definitely sounds like a car to compliment my 86, but not replace.

I expect the shifter in the 86 will feel better based on what every single person has said so farm and the bigger car feeling like you mentioned may be a bit strange and not as sporty. A big draw for me to this car is that it is bigger though, this would be my "practical" car if and/or when(probably just when tbh) I have to get a "practical" car, lol.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #106
Jordanwolf
真真

Garage
Quote:
A Miata is not FWD? lol or did I miss something here. The comparison was between a FWD car and AWD systems. In the winter, with experience with many different FWD cars, I have never once had an issue gaining traction from a standstill.

If we were talking about RWD, which we weren't, then I totally agree.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #107
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
A Miata is not FWD? lol or did I miss something here. The comparison was between a FWD car and AWD systems. In the winter, with experience with many different FWD cars, I have never once had an issue gaining traction from a standstill.

Drivetrain is all but irrelevant. Level of grip is the only thing that really matters.
I drove a 420 wheel torque Mazdaspeed3 in the winter with great winter tires and never had a problem getting off the line before any Audi or STI with shit tires.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (06-06-2019), why? (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #108
Jordanwolf
真真

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Drivetrain is all but irrelevant. Level of grip is the only thing that really matters.
I drove a 420 wheel torque Mazdaspeed3 in the winter with great winter tires and never had a problem getting off the line before any Audi or STI with shit tires.
I can agree to this point mostly, as I do believe weight distribution has an impact.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #109
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
a twin with good winter tires will be great in the snow. It is all the traction and the right tires for the job.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #110
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
If I wanted a to drive a car almost as ugly, I could do it a lot cheaper in a used Pontiac Aztec.
The looks are not for everyone. Sort of like the catfish front end on the 17+ MY 86s

Quote:
Definitely sounds like a car to compliment my 86, but not replace.

I expect the shifter in the 86 will feel better based on what every single person has said so farm and the bigger car feeling like you mentioned may be a bit strange and not as sporty. A big draw for me to this car is that it is bigger though, this would be my "practical" car if and/or when(probably just when tbh) I have to get a "practical" car, lol.
Find your nearest non Honda used car dealer that has a used Civic Type R on the lot, and test drive it. That is pretty much the only way to get a feel for the car. Trust me, you will not be disappointed by the driving dynamics.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #111
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

No, I'm mainly talking about cars that drive two wheels vs four. Having owned just about every generation of Si, a MR-2, E46 M3, a BRZ, ATS, ND Miata and Golf R, all equipped with winter tires, the AWD cars are always noticeably easier to get moving. I'm not saying driving a high output FWD car in the snow is impossible, I am saying that getting the AWD car moving is mindlessly easy and requires next to no thought compared to the car that drives two wheels.

Anyways, you don't need to take my word for it. Just swing by the Civic X forums or check out Evo UK's, Top Gear's, Throttle House's etc. long-term reviews. They all gripe about wheel spin/hop in the wet or snow.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #112
Jordanwolf
真真

Garage
Quote:
No, I'm mainly talking about cars that drive two wheels vs four. Having owned just about every generation of Si, a MR-2, E46 M3, a BRZ, ATS, ND Miata and Golf R, all equipped with winter tires, the AWD cars are always noticeably easier to get moving. I'm not saying driving a high output FWD car in the snow is impossible, I am saying that getting the AWD car moving is mindlessly easy and requires next to no thought compared to the car that drives two wheels.

Anyways, you don't need to take my word for it. Just swing by the Civic X forums or check out Evo UK's, Top Gear's, Throttle House's etc. long-term reviews. They all gripe about wheel spin/hop in the wet or snow.
Get better winter tires then, I don't know what else will help you.

Like I said earlier, when you drive like you have some sense and understand that there is snow on the ground, gaining traction from a stand still really isn't an issue, especially in a FWD car where there is typically more weight on the drive wheels.

The only real argument would be traction going up a hill.

You sure you didn't get sold some all seasons labeled as winters?