follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #169
TruRace
Senior Member
 
TruRace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 336
Thanks: 58
Thanked 142 Times in 99 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got my clutch fork and pivot in this weekend and it feels amazing. I was having really bad lockout issues with my act clutch with streetlite flywheel. Switched over to a southbend stage 2 with oem flywheel with the velox clutch fork and it is 1000x better. Not sure where the root of my lockout problems was from but this set up feels really good so far. Fingers crossed though
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruRace For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (08-10-2017), VerusEric (08-06-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #170
VerusEric
Design Guy
 
VerusEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 BRZ, 1993 MR2 Turbo
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 547
Thanked 2,427 Times in 740 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
We have some exciting news to announce again on this product line.

We have been working for the past 6 months or so on an even stronger unit using a better manufacturing technique, forging. Forging forces hot metal into shape which aligns the grain structure of the material in a better way than machined billet. We then heat treat and cryo treat these units to further improve strength/hardness/overall structure.

Below are images showing, through FEA, the difference from OEM, to billet, to forged. The scales are all set to the material's yield strength to keep viewing simple and easy. Purple/red is bad and blue is good as far as the stress plots are concerned.

OEM 1


Billet 1


Forged 1


OEM 2


Billet 2


Forged 2


The billet/machined units have and continue to work flawlessly in the market. The forged unit will (hopefully) be easier for us to keep in stock which was another reason for this move towards the newer unit.

We will work on having product images shortly.

Thank you,
Eric
__________________
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
churchx (08-29-2017), Drakiv (09-21-2017), mrderp (08-29-2017), ohmai18 (08-31-2017), SoCalArgento (08-29-2017), SPCorBUST (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #171
SoCalArgento
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Location: 805
Posts: 255
Thanks: 67
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
We have some exciting news to announce again on this product line.



We have been working for the past 6 months or so on an even stronger unit using a better manufacturing technique, forging. Forging forces hot metal into shape which aligns the grain structure of the material in a better way than machined billet. We then heat treat and cryo treat these units to further improve strength/hardness/overall structure.



Below are images showing, through FEA, the difference from OEM, to billet, to forged. The scales are all set to the material's yield strength to keep viewing simple and easy. Purple/red is bad and blue is good as far as the stress plots are concerned.



OEM 1





Billet 1





Forged 1





OEM 2





Billet 2





Forged 2





The billet/machined units have and continue to work flawlessly in the market. The forged unit will (hopefully) be easier for us to keep in stock which was another reason for this move towards the newer unit.



We will work on having product images shortly.



Thank you,

Eric


Any idea of price range for the forged fork compared to the billet unit ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #172
VerusEric
Design Guy
 
VerusEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 BRZ, 1993 MR2 Turbo
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 547
Thanked 2,427 Times in 740 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalArgento View Post
Any idea of price range for the forged fork compared to the billet unit ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pricing will remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Curiosity questions.
I would have thought that forging for such a small production what have been prohibitory expensive.
You did the stress analysis on the machined forks; are the machined forks deficient in some way?
Is there anyway to tell the forged unit apart from the genuine item?
With the numbers we are moving in the first ~year, forging makes sense for the long haul. It will also allow us to keep more in stock without running out which has happened with the machined unit multiple times. Like I stated, the machined units are not *in any way* deficient. While they are not as strong as the forged units, they are more than strong enough to handle the loads necessary to actuate the clutch.

Yes, they will look different. They are both genuine Velox/Verus items though... and we stand behind both.

Thanks,
Eric
__________________
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-29-2017), Drakiv (09-21-2017), Iceman (08-30-2017), johan (08-30-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #173
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®
 
Captain Snooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 5,125
Thanks: 2,430
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I deleted my original post because of a typo and @Eric had already answered. Whoops.
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (08-30-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #174
grichardt
Senior Member
 
grichardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: Live Oak, TX
Posts: 116
Thanks: 4
Thanked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
when will the new forged parts be in stock? I need to order a fork and pivot very soon.
__________________
grichardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #175
Spocknasty
Member
 
Spocknasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 1990 Turbo Miata
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 32
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Time to install my new Exedy clutch / flywheel setup and I'm looking forward to adding the Velox clutch fork and pivot!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Automotive photo and video
www.mikespock.com
Spocknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spocknasty For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (09-25-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #176
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®
 
Captain Snooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 5,125
Thanks: 2,430
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Admittedly, I'm looking forward to having to have my clutch replaced.
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #177
VerusEric
Design Guy
 
VerusEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 BRZ, 1993 MR2 Turbo
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 547
Thanked 2,427 Times in 740 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grichardt View Post
when will the new forged parts be in stock? I need to order a fork and pivot very soon.
They're in stock and ready to ship.
__________________
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #178
SpectreRT
Senior Member
 
SpectreRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: usa
Posts: 561
Thanks: 90
Thanked 185 Times in 136 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Mine is getting installed with my new upgrades over the next week or so. Will report back with results.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (09-25-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #179
Spocknasty
Member
 
Spocknasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 1990 Turbo Miata
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 32
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just passed the break in period on my new clutch setup - Exedy OEM pressure plate, Exedy Stage 1 clutch disc, Exedy lightweight flywheel, and Velox fork and pivot point.

WOW! I'm in love with my car all over again. The smoothness of the OEM pressure plate mixed with the beefy fork make shifting feel like BUTTER! I regularly drive Porsches and the clutch feel is superior now. My previous setup used the same OEM pressure plate - I can tell the fork has made a big difference there. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or a result of moving the transmission around, but even the shifter itself feels better, smoother when going into gear. I have knee issues and this has very much improved my driving experience.

I had my doubts at first about upgrading the fork but can definitely say it was a wise decision to go with Velox - this should be standard with every clutch replacement!
__________________
Automotive photo and video
www.mikespock.com
Spocknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spocknasty For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (10-05-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #180
Detroiter
Senior Member
 
Detroiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Location: Michigan
Posts: 215
Thanks: 149
Thanked 125 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocknasty View Post
Just passed the break in period on my new clutch setup - Exedy OEM pressure plate, Exedy Stage 1 clutch disc, Exedy lightweight flywheel, and Velox fork and pivot point.

WOW! I'm in love with my car all over again. The smoothness of the OEM pressure plate mixed with the beefy fork make shifting feel like BUTTER! I regularly drive Porsches and the clutch feel is superior now. My previous setup used the same OEM pressure plate - I can tell the fork has made a big difference there. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or a result of moving the transmission around, but even the shifter itself feels better, smoother when going into gear. I have knee issues and this has very much improved my driving experience.

I had my doubts at first about upgrading the fork but can definitely say it was a wise decision to go with Velox - this should be standard with every clutch replacement!
When my clutch or TOB goes out I was thinking about upgrading the fork aswell. You say the clutch feel is better than a Porsche now? Did you remove the clutch spring and do the clutch height adjustment as well or did just upgrading the clutch disc, flywheel, fork and pivot cause the change in feel?
__________________
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Raven
OFT Stage 2 UEL E85 | Tomei UEL Headers | Catless FP | Greddy Revolution RS Catback | HKS Air Filter | Toyota Badge Swap
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #181
Spocknasty
Member
 
Spocknasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 1990 Turbo Miata
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 32
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
When my clutch or TOB goes out I was thinking about upgrading the fork aswell. You say the clutch feel is better than a Porsche now? Did you remove the clutch spring and do the clutch height adjustment as well or did just upgrading the clutch disc, flywheel, fork and pivot cause the change in feel?
I've been running the MTEC clutch spring - I couldn't deal with the soft, vague feel of the OEM clutch setup. Currently when the clutch disengages it gives out with no tension pushing back - the first time I pressed it in I almost put my foot through the floor. I think it's wonderful given the traffic on the turnpike every morning. I played with the clutch height adjustment and will continue to do so further until I find a sweet spot.

Porsche is known for their quality on all components for sure, the clutches are smooth but less aggressive and precise than I prefer. I'd say my clutch setup currently feels like a freshly honed Wüsthof knife slicing through vegetable matter as it if were air. I chatted with Steve over at Exedy about the ideal clutch setup - the OEM pressure plate spares my knee while the stage 1 friction surface offers slightly improved engagement with a bit more longevity for the inevitable track day. The upgraded flywheel is a must on all my cars - I love the quick response and I'm "that guy" who rev matches on the street. The only "drawbacks" are a slight jerk / bang when shifting hard (diff bushings need to be upgraded) and some reverberation transmitted into the car around 3,000 RPM in third gear when cruising - but that's to be expected with the sporty nature of the components. Next to no gear lash noise and honestly I wish there was more.
__________________
Automotive photo and video
www.mikespock.com
Spocknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spocknasty For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (09-26-2017), VerusEric (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #182
SpectreRT
Senior Member
 
SpectreRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: usa
Posts: 561
Thanks: 90
Thanked 185 Times in 136 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
They're in stock and ready to ship.
Got mine installed; and im running into some issues.

Sometimes, everything feels awesome. However, after I do a hard pull - sometimes the pedal gets really soft and I cannot shift. When this happens, I pump the clutch again and its back to normal.

Fluids are good, no leaks, slave cyl looks good, brand new ACT Stage 2 & flywheel installed by a local tuning shop that specializes in the 86 platform.

Any ideas? Pointers? We initially tried to bleed the system to resolve and that did not help. New idea is some sort of fork spring assist like on most EJs. - Picture attached for reference of what we're thinking.
Attached Images
 
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modular Hood Louver Kit - Verus Engineering VerusEric Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 218 08-09-2019 09:35 AM
Verus Engineering Rear Wing Development VerusEric Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 185 07-14-2019 08:25 PM
Verus Engineering Brake Cooling Kit VerusEric Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 93 06-15-2019 11:42 AM
Verus Engineering Billet Transmission Beta Tester Run VerusEric Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 56 02-16-2019 10:59 AM
▀▄▀▄ Vivid Racing | Cusco 86/BRZ Clutch Release Fork and Pivot Set vividracing Transmission and Driveline 0 07-12-2016 01:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.