follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #2409
misooscar

Drives:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbison777 View Post
Swift Spec-R's, I'll bet
If I were to upgrade shocks in the future, which model would still work with the swift spec r springs?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
misooscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #2410
waterbison777

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misooscar View Post
If I were to upgrade shocks in the future, which model would still work with the swift spec r springs?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Spec-R's are designed specifically for the vehicle's stock dampers. I've only personally run them with OEM dampers, and they are quite impressive on track (much harsher than OEM for DD though.)

Perhaps someone else would have more insight regarding alternate dampers. Can't really help you there.
waterbison777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waterbison777 For This Useful Post:
misooscar (04-15-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 02:40 AM   #2411
mike_frs

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just ordered a set of KW V3's. After I install and get an alignment, should I get a corner balance? What's the advantage and disadvantage if I do or don't do the corner balance?
mike_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #2412
Doozer

Drives: gt86...among others
Sorry posted this in another thread but it should have gone here:

Hey suspension guru's

we've outgrown our Ohlins and now need something better.

The high and low speed sections are starting to hurt us, as high speed corners we can't attack the curbing because we have no high speed damping ability. The car literally jumps to the other side of the track.

We've heard great things about SRC
We've heard good things about RCE.
We've heard good things about Moton.
We've heard good things about JRZ.

Does anyone feel like pitching a product?

Price wise, why go 3 way when 4 way is also pricey? Is high speed rebound not so much of a concern?

I apologize in advance. I know NOTHING about suspension, I just turn clicks on the ohlins to make them softer or harder.

Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #2413
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_frs View Post
Just ordered a set of KW V3's. After I install and get an alignment, should I get a corner balance? What's the advantage and disadvantage if I do or don't do the corner balance?
If you track your car, a corner balance is recommended to get the most out of your coilovers. It's not 100% necessary for a street car.

The goal is even cross weights:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...orner-weights/

You should do the corner balance before you align the car.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #2414
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
Sorry posted this in another thread but it should have gone here:

Hey suspension guru's

we've outgrown our Ohlins and now need something better.

The high and low speed sections are starting to hurt us, as high speed corners we can't attack the curbing because we have no high speed damping ability. The car literally jumps to the other side of the track.

We've heard great things about SRC
We've heard good things about RCE.
We've heard good things about Moton.
We've heard good things about JRZ.

Does anyone feel like pitching a product?

Price wise, why go 3 way when 4 way is also pricey? Is high speed rebound not so much of a concern?

I apologize in advance. I know NOTHING about suspension, I just turn clicks on the ohlins to make them softer or harder.

Thanks guys
All 4 are good options.

If you "know nothing about suspension" a 4 way will not be your friend unless you have someone you can count on to tune your set-up or has a lot of experience with that specific damper. Also, high speed rebound adjustment is not as valuable IMO.

RCE Tarmac 3 Clubsports (3 way with high/low compression damping adjusters) are a great way to get into that level of damper at a cost far below a 3 way JRZ or Moton.

Is this a dedicated track car or does it still see the street?

- Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Doozer (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #2415
Doozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
All 4 are good options.

If you "know nothing about suspension" a 4 way will not be your friend unless you have someone you can count on to tune your set-up or has a lot of experience with that specific damper. Also, high speed rebound adjustment is not as valuable IMO.

RCE Tarmac 3 Clubsports (3 way with high/low compression damping adjusters) are a great way to get into that level of damper at a cost far below a 3 way JRZ or Moton.

Is this a dedicated track car or does it still see the street?

- Andy
Thanks Andy,

This particular car is race only. We have a very good shock engineer who's helping to teach us about this kind of stuff.

We tell him what it feels like in the car and he can translate that into what adjustments to make at the track. Great guy to have on a team.

As our shock guy is very technical and shows us graphs like this one below, but I don't know who to interpret that data into car feeling. Can you help explain why the 4 way high-speed rebound adjustment isn't so critical (in terms of feeling in the car)?

Thanks
Attached Images

CSG Mike (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #2416
Racecomp Engineering

Ahhh if you've got a shock guy that certainly helps and it looks like he's using shock pots which is great (though that software is for motorcycles and I'm not sure where the fork is on an 86 jk)

High speed rebound adjustment is a nice but expensive bonus. With a quality shock, whether it's a 1 way or 2 way or 3 way, the single rebound adjustment will mostly affect only low and some mid-speed damping OR the full range with nice evenly spaced curves between clicks. Ideally when you turn up the rebound damping to get an increase in low-speed adjustment you don't see an exponentially huge progressive increase in high-speed at the same time. But very high rebound (extension) velocities are also not seen too often on the track...though you still have to be careful of jacking down if you're overdamped.

Short answer: independent high and low speed compression is much more valuable and a single knob for rebound is fine for most of us as long as the base valving is good (which it will be on a quality shock like the ones in your list).

We have a lot of experience with our RCE T3s and JRZs 2 ways for this platform and Moton on others. We really like JRZ, both because it's a quality shock and the aftersale support is great. Our shocks would give the advantage of 3 way adjustment which is huge. The 3 way race JRZs are very good of course too if it's in your budget and you're really looking for a hardcore motorsports shock. You would expect more frequent rebuilds with the motorsports JRZs though (nature of the beast).

- Andy
Old 04-21-2015, 02:17 AM   #2417
Doozer

Quote:
Ahhh if you've got a shock guy that certainly helps and it looks like he's using shock pots which is great (though that software is for motorcycles and I'm not sure where the fork is on an 86 jk)

High speed rebound adjustment is a nice but expensive bonus. With a quality shock, whether it's a 1 way or 2 way or 3 way, the single rebound adjustment will mostly affect only low and some mid-speed damping OR the full range with nice evenly spaced curves between clicks. Ideally when you turn up the rebound damping to get an increase in low-speed adjustment you don't see an exponentially huge progressive increase in high-speed at the same time. But very high rebound (extension) velocities are also not seen too often on the track...though you still have to be careful of jacking down if you're overdamped.

Short answer: independent high and low speed compression is much more valuable and a single knob for rebound is fine for most of us as long as the base valving is good (which it will be on a quality shock like the ones in your list).

We have a lot of experience with our RCE T3s and JRZs 2 ways for this platform and Moton on others. We really like JRZ, both because it's a quality shock and the aftersale support is great. Our shocks would give the advantage of 3 way adjustment which is huge. The 3 way race JRZs are very good of course too if it's in your budget and you're really looking for a hardcore motorsports shock. You would expect more frequent rebuilds with the motorsports JRZs though (nature of the beast).

- Andy
Thanks Andy,

exactly the information I was looking for.

We have an enduro this weekend then 1 month until the next event. Hope to be able to make a decision soon.

I now also need to look into Asia's JRZ support, if it's non-existent, easier to rule them out.

Take care
Old 04-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #2418
DeaconRoc

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've had my coilovers fitted but I'm getting an issue on high frequency bumps on highway type roads (Motorway and A roads here in the UK). The firmer the dampers are set the worse it gets - to the point where the rear view mirror becomes almost pointless it is vibrating that much. At softer settings it's better but still present.

Does this sound like something that can be tuned with damper adjustments or a more fundamental issue with the dampers?

Thanks for the help!
DeaconRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #2419
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Which coilovers, what spring rates, how many clicks from full hard or full soft, etc...?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #2420
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Garage
I was pointed in this direction so I will repost here.

So I finally pulled the trigger on buying some springs because my car sits really high with the 235/50r17 tires I put on. Anyways after much debate and deciding that I really wanted the rear slightly lower than the front I went with the RS-R super down springs from redline360. I am probably going to have a shop put them on as I really dont want to wack a fender with the impact gun when I inevitably become impatient with the springs..

My question is.. After doing some research I keep seeing that if you lower your FRS more than 1 inch that you should get LCA's. I was just wondering if that was entirely true? These springs say they will drop approximately 1.2in in the front and 1.4in in the back so I am a little worried. I really dont want to have to put LCA's on the car..

Any help would be much appreciated guys! Thank you
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #2421
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
I was pointed in this direction so I will repost here.

So I finally pulled the trigger on buying some springs because my car sits really high with the 235/50r17 tires I put on. Anyways after much debate and deciding that I really wanted the rear slightly lower than the front I went with the RS-R super down springs from redline360. I am probably going to have a shop put them on as I really dont want to wack a fender with the impact gun when I inevitably become impatient with the springs..

My question is.. After doing some research I keep seeing that if you lower your FRS more than 1 inch that you should get LCA's. I was just wondering if that was entirely true? These springs say they will drop approximately 1.2in in the front and 1.4in in the back so I am a little worried. I really dont want to have to put LCA's on the car..

Any help would be much appreciated guys! Thank you
You'll end up with a lot of camber with a 1.4 inch rear drop. I would recommend rear LCAs. The alternative would be the whiteline rear camber adjusters which are good and cheaper than LCAs, but require a good shop to install and align.

- Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Ddreder (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #2422
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Garage
Quote:
You'll end up with a lot of camber with a 1.4 inch rear drop. I would recommend rear LCAs. The alternative would be the whiteline rear camber adjusters which are good and cheaper than LCAs, but require a good shop to install and align.

- Andy
How much is too much? 2-3 degrees? or more? Do you know if it will cause excessive tire wear? LCA's are just fracking expensive and I was already working on a budget.. Maybe I'll just cancel my order and go for the 1inch drops..
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote