follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #617
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
has @Brian@Vortech or any of the other vortech guys commented on the idler pulley / pipe wear / belt issues?
VERY curious about this as well; I haven't seen an official response yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #618
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftZen View Post
After seeing all the install issues Dezoris has had with his Vortech kit, I highly doubt I'll be going Vortech (was originally my top pick in Forced Induction). Are there any plans to "simplify" the install of this kit, and perhaps fix the poor documentation? One of the major advantages of a supercharger to me (over a turbo) is the easy install, but the install actually looks just as involved (if not more) than some turbos I've seen on youtube.
It's honestly not that bad of an install. It's time consuming of course like any major upgrade such as fi, but the directions are pretty clear on the cd it came with it also had enlarged pictures to help you if you were to get confused. Mind you the kit is a centrifugal type blower so it will require routing such as an intercooler etc so the amount of time needed for install is very understandable.

If you want ,innovative is apparently EASIER but I chose vortech for a reason and won't state my reasons so I wont state pros and cons about another's product to keep things fair and my own bias within my own mind and mouth.

In terms of issues, I myself have not ran into any and it's almost been 2500 miles. I pretty much womp on the motor a little more than I should lol. No rubbing or weird noises and belt looks great.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #619
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
It's honestly not that bad of an install. It's time consuming of course like any major upgrade such as fi, but the directions are pretty clear on the cd it came with it also had enlarged pictures to help you if you were to get confused. Mind you the kit is a centrifugal type blower so it will require routing such as an intercooler etc so the amount of time needed for install is very understandable.

If you want ,innovative is apparently EASIER but I chose vortech for a reason and won't state my reasons so I wont state pros and cons about another's product to keep things fair and my own bias within my own mind and mouth.

In terms of issues, I myself have not ran into any and it's almost been 2500 miles. I pretty much womp on the motor a little more than I should lol. No rubbing or weird noises and belt looks great.
My belt is also fine. Also I'm pretty sure a kid on here hos first custom car he is under 20years old. And he installed it himself. As soon as I saw hks's routing and the need for oil cooler I was out. Was excited about innovate have a roots for the whine sound. But lack of intercooler I was out. But the upgraded ability of the vortech I was sold. I installedine through the night by myself. Made it to work the next day
ft86me (07-12-2013), RedAlert (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #620
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
My belt is also fine. Also I'm pretty sure a kid on here hos first custom car he is under 20years old. And he installed it himself. As soon as I saw hks's routing and the need for oil cooler I was out. Was excited about innovate have a roots for the whine sound. But lack of intercooler I was out. But the upgraded ability of the vortech I was sold. I installedine through the night by myself. Made it to work the next day
kinda took the words out of my mouth on that one. hahaha. on EVERYTHING haha. i have more views on innovative vs vortech, but i'm not gonna open my mouth haha
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
charged86 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #621
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
My contact with Vortech has been very positive. They are addressing most of these issues we have been talking about with documentation. Should be updated soon. Their support has been good so far and are checking on and following the pulley issue. Best thing we can do is keep and eye and report issues right away to Brian and your vendors.

In terms of Innovate, their kit is a classic case of too good to be true.
Its non intercooled, the testers have not and dont have a way to monitor IAT temps from the blower to engine. And the tuners wont post logs online. Too many redflags. I want owners to have a good experience believe me and I hope my concerns wind up beinh nothing.

Lastly Perrin and Visconti are not on board with tuning not a good sign.
I think they need to get the intercooled model released before I will risk testing it.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #622
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
My contact with Vortech has been very positive. They are addressing most of these issues we have been talking about with documentation. Should be updated soon. Their support has been good so far and are checking on and following the pulley issue. Best thing we can do is keep and eye and report issues right away to Brian and your vendors.
Thanks for the update. However it certainly would be nice to see a public statement from @Brian@Vortech regarding these issues to ease the minds of current and potential future customers.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #623
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlert View Post
Thank you @Dezoris. The minute I read you post about the pulley into intake tube made me concerned, so I went home on my lunch break to see if I had any rubbing. I also passed along the FYI/caution to another install that is currently being installed @Darryljr11. It's the community effort that's makes this FI experience, that much better.
Brady still has my car and did both our kits and yours has been fine so im not worried. He has John on speeddial and experience with our cars so im not worried about any of this stuff. If something breaks ill just have him replace it. Gotta pay to play lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #624
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
@Brian@Vortech - Are there any plans to drop the price of the Vortech kit in light of the competition?
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #625
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Forgot to ask this question some time ago while I was in the middle of my install and once I was finished I never bothered to think about it until the other day when I had my underpanels off:

What's the purpose of filing down the underpanel by the bumper? Here's the image from the Vortech instructions:

I don't see anything in the kit actually requiring that modification. What's it for?
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #626
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Hey everyone. We are making an effort to simplify the install documentation, clarify a few things, and to include torque specs on mounting bracket hardware to make the entire process go more fluidly for the future. Hopefully this will help to get the installation down to the 4-6 hour procedure it should realistically be for this kit.

As far as the idlers go, we are checking into this situation. We have requested a couple of the damaged ones be sent in for evaluation, to see if we there is an issue from the manufacturer. However, we have used, and/or continue to use this exact same idler without issue in applications that range from 1996-2010 Mustangs (V8 and V6), 350Z/G35, Ford F150, 1999-2009 GM Trucks/SUVs, Corvette, Pontiac GTO, Lexus IS300, etc., so the idler itself should be up to the task. We hope that whatever the issue may be, we can get it resolved and have everyone back on the road worry free ASAP.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (07-12-2013), Pete (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #627
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
Hey everyone. We are making an effort to simplify the install documentation, clarify a few things, and to include torque specs on mounting bracket hardware to make the entire process go more fluidly for the future. Hopefully this will help to get the installation down to the 4-6 hour procedure it should realistically be for this kit.

As far as the idlers go, we are checking into this situation. We have requested a couple of the damaged ones be sent in for evaluation, to see if we there is an issue from the manufacturer. However, we have used, and/or continue to use this exact same idler without issue in applications that range from 1996-2010 Mustangs (V8 and V6), 350Z/G35, Ford F150, 1999-2009 GM Trucks/SUVs, Corvette, Pontiac GTO, Lexus IS300, etc., so the idler itself should be up to the task. We hope that whatever the issue may be, we can get it resolved and have everyone back on the road worry free ASAP.
It looks like the pulley itself isn't the issue, rather the clearance between the pulley and pipe as outlined in this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovXSuQ33Ss"]FR-S BRZ Vortech Pulley and Intake Tube Problem - YouTube[/ame]
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #628
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
It looks like the pulley itself isn't the issue, rather the clearance between the pulley and pipe as outlined in this video:

There are people with no clearance issues, during the install you need to verify clearance before securing the discharge pipe. There is a mounting bracket that the discharge pipe in question attaches to which is slotted, allowing for proper placement of the pipe that won't result in pulley contact. The discharge pipe does rub on the hood insulation slightly, but for me it does NOT put pressure on the hood.

The greddy kit for the K series engines in the RSX had a discharge pipe that when installed incorrectly (too far into the coupler) the throttle plate would bind when at WOT.

As with ANY FI kit, clearance issues should be checked/rectified during install.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (07-12-2013), Pete (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #629
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
What's the purpose of filing down the underpanel by the bumper? Here's the image from the Vortech instructions:

I don't see anything in the kit actually requiring that modification. What's it for?
The reason we have customers do that is because with the intercooler installed, we noticed that on some cars the panel was a tight fit afterwards. However, not all cars have this issue.

Hope this helps.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
Pete (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #630
Chase Bays

Drives: FR-S | 335i | S13
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
We love our Vortech kit! The install was easy for what it is. We also have zero clearance issues. Just because one or two or 5 people say it was a pain in the ass to install doesn't mean you should disregard the hundreds of other satisfied customers.

But seriously, we love this supercharger kit.