follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #15
Trefoil

Drives: GBS BRZ Harrop SC/PTuning Header
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Not really sure about the shipping. I'd have to check my invoice again. If the shipping was free, paying customs that amount is a pretty small price to pay.

The container that it comes in is by far the most impressive packing job that I've ever seen. Everyone else ships in cardboard, Harrop actually sends you a plastic bin that's perfect for all of the original parts that you kept as you've modded the vehicle.
Trefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trefoil For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-02-2016), NLS8520 (05-25-2017)
Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #16
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefoil View Post
Not really sure. about the shipping. I'd have to check my invoice again. The shipping was free, so paying customs that amount is a pretty small price to pay.

The container that it comes in is by far the most impressive packing job that I've ever seen. Everyone else ships in cardboard, Harrop actually sends you a plastic bin that's perfect for all of the original parts that you kept as you've modded the vehicle.
Free shipping? How's this? Last I heard from Harrop it was 250-300 for shipping stateside.

Plastic crate is a plus haha.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
Trefoil

Garage
I might have purchased one of the first in the US and got a particularly good deal. I haven't really had time to get it fully tuned and dynoed, so I've been quiet on announcing anything to the forums.

Also, the GTSpec tower bar does not fit with the SC, but the handling has actually improved without it as the car is now less prone to understeer switching quickly to oversteer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trefoil For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-26-2019), HarropOz (07-29-2016), kuczynskika (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm an owner.

The kit is compatible with RacerX's catch can and the Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler.

Had some issues with Customs and FedEX, just FYI, so be prepared for about ~$115 more on the price you bought it for when importing to the States.

Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with the SC. It really changed the vehicle for the better. The car is ridiculously fast with flex fuel. Though friends with modified WRX's can get a launch on me, the top end just allows me to continue pulling away from them.
Are you running the standard pulley and stock internals? I will be really interested to see what whp you make with e85 when you dyno it. (Not that I can get e85 over here!)
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #19
Trefoil

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Are you running the standard pulley and stock internals? I will be really interested to see what whp you make with e85 when you dyno it. (Not that I can get e85 over here!)
Standard pulley and stock internals. I went for support modification after maxing out power on 93 aki as an NA car. I chose the Harrop due to price compared to the torque AUC, also due to the fact that it worked with the majority of my existing modifications without having to buy the same part twice... I say most, because I had purchased a racerX oil cooler that would have required some heavy modification to remount around the driver side fenderwell. The jackson racing radiator with oil cooling fit a lot of issues that would arise with relocation to a colder climate, racing, and fitment any oil radiator.

The funny thing about e85 is that although it was great for the environment and human health to move away from MTBE, it turned out to be a giant corn subsidy in the US which increases emissions from farm equipment and takes grain from the livestock feed supply.... The scientists and policy makers were hoping for indigenous plants that required no extra fertilizer to supply biomass to the ethanol plants.

I'll post when I get a dyno day after the final tuning!

Last edited by Trefoil; 07-28-2016 at 03:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trefoil For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-26-2019)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #20
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Free shipping? How's this? Last I heard from Harrop it was 250-300 for shipping stateside.

Plastic crate is a plus haha.
I believe I paid $350 for shipping to Pennsylvania. Customs fees were $32 but I had it shipped to a business. Shipping to a residence might have extra fees?

Like Trefoil, I had some issues with FedEx. It took two days and numerous phone calls to get it cleared through customs. Had to provide the business tax ID (EIN) of the shop I had it shipped to and explain in great detail what a supercharger was to a lady so she could figure out what to categorize the shipment as to get it cleared through customs (she never figured it out...). Thankfully I got a call from a guy on the second day who knew exactly what to categorize it as. Shipping was quick, so it was worth the $350. Went from Australia to Pennsylvania in 5 business days (Shipped Monday and arrived Friday), including the trouble of getting it cleared through customs.

I ordered my kit in October 2015, it was manufactured during batch 2. In the end I paid $4795 ($4738 for kit + shipping, $25 wire transfer fee, $32 customs fees). I think the Edelbrock kit without tune was around the same price from CSG, but I don't like the airbox included in that kit, so I chose the Harrop kit since it uses the stock airbox.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blood For This Useful Post:
kuczynskika (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #21
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post
I believe I paid $350 for shipping to Pennsylvania. Customs fees were $32 but I had it shipped to a business. Shipping to a residence might have extra fees?

Like Trefoil, I had some issues with FedEx. It took two days and numerous phone calls to get it cleared through customs. Had to provide the business tax ID (EIN) of the shop I had it shipped to and explain in great detail what a supercharger was to a lady so she could figure out what to categorize the shipment as to get it cleared through customs (she never figured it out...). Thankfully I got a call from a guy on the second day who knew exactly what to categorize it as. Shipping was quick, so it was worth the $350. Went from Australia to Pennsylvania in 5 business days (Shipped Monday and arrived Friday), including the trouble of getting it cleared through customs.

I ordered my kit in October 2015, it was manufactured during batch 2. In the end I paid $4795 ($4738 for kit + shipping, $25 wire transfer fee, $32 customs fees). I think the Edelbrock kit without tune was around the same price from CSG, but I don't like the airbox included in that kit, so I chose the Harrop kit since it uses the stock airbox.

Good insight here. Did you order the kit with or without tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #22
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Good insight here. Did you order the kit with or without tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, forgot to mention that. I ordered it without the tune and did dyno tuning locally since I have a flex fuel kit. I'm unsure if Harrop offers a flex fuel tune.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #23
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that. I ordered it without the tune and did dyno tuning locally since I have a flex fuel kit. I'm unsure if Harrop offers a flex fuel tune.

Gottcha. Yeah I don't think they offer one. Did you do the install yourself or a shop?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #24
Trefoil

Garage
If you have a basic set of mechanic tools (deep and short metric sockets, ratcheting wrenches, pliers, etc) you can accomplish the installation in a weekend. I strongly recommend that anything this heavy is performed with a friend for team lift and seating of the manifold gaskets squarely.

I did it while drinking beer with friends over a 12 hour period, then because of the beer and everyone wanting to be a cook in the kitchen, took another 10 to sort out vac line issues. If you're careful, organized, and not overheated (blame 104 degree F weather and 98% humidity) you can easily perform this in a weekend so long as you have the tune file in hand to flash the ECU before turning the key. It's not difficult to perform this install, it just takes time and critical planning/thinking.

I did order through Moto East and they offered me their Flex fuel kit and an e-tuning package. Though not as immediate as say, going to an in-state dyno and tuning shop for a weekend, I've been happy with their customer and tuning support.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trefoil For This Useful Post:
kuczynskika (07-28-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #25
HarropOz

Drives: Harrop TVS1320 Supercharged 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Can anyone comment on how the supercharger looks in person? The two pics above are different. One shows silver lettering, and the other does not. One shows the left sided attachment to the intake, and the other shows a plug.
They are the same car.

we shaved the lettering at some point on the race car so people could read the "Suprcharged" text from a distance.... Bit of a sales pitch.
HarropOz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarropOz For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (10-06-2017), funwheeldrive (08-02-2016), Irace86 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #26
HarropOz

Drives: Harrop TVS1320 Supercharged 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm an owner.

The kit is compatible with RacerX's catch can and the Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler.

Had some issues with Customs and FedEX, just FYI, so be prepared for about ~$115 more on the price you bought it for when importing to the States.

Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with the SC. It really changed the vehicle for the better. The car is ridiculously fast with flex fuel. Though friends with modified WRX's can get a launch on me, the top end just allows me to continue pulling away from them.

Just on the extra Freight charges, We have been extensively contacting fedex for a reimbursement for the over charge. Australia and USA have a Free Trade Agreement and we were advised by Fedex incorrectly on the description we were required to use on our documentation. To Date, we have not had any further issues.

Andrew.
HarropOz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HarropOz For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-29-2016), CxG (11-13-2019), GhostOp86 (08-01-2016), Irace86 (07-29-2016), kuczynskika (07-29-2016), Trefoil (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #27
Trefoil

Garage
Thanks Andrew! It wasn't a criticism of you all, but of the US Customs and FedEx systems. I have been extremely happy with my purchase and the support you've all provided me.

The system rocks! Especially on corn juice!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:34 AM   #28
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Standard pulley and stock internals. I went for support modification after maxing out power on 93 aki as an NA car. I chose the Harrop due to price compared to the torque AUC, also due to the fact that it worked with the majority of my existing modifications without having to buy the same part twice... I say most, because I had purchased a racerX oil cooler that would have required some heavy modification to remount around the driver side fenderwell. The jackson racing radiator with oil cooling fit a lot of issues that would arise with relocation to a colder climate, racing, and fitment any oil radiator.

The funny thing about e85 is that although it was great for the environment and human health to move away from MTBE, it turned out to be a giant corn subsidy in the US which increases emissions from farm equipment and takes grain from the livestock feed supply.... The scientists and policy makers were hoping for indigenous plants that required no extra fertilizer to supply biomass to the ethanol plants.

I'll post when I get a dyno day after the final tuning!
What whp would you be happy taking it up to with the stock internals? I'm presuming you will be as high as 270-280 on e85, even with their stock pulley.

Interesting about the e85 - shame they can't use something that doesn't need fertiliser and is there anyway - like grass!
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote