follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: When it comes to coilovers what are you going to do with the car?
I plan on using coilovers for racing competition. 36 50.00%
I plan on using coilovers to just lower my car. 36 50.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Nice to see guys that can differentiate between racing and track days / time trial competition. I am sure I will hit up some track days, but will never race my BRZ as it is worth too much to throw away in a racing incident.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My main concern is street performance. I had cheap coilover in the past and I won't do that again.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
IMOA

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For me it's a mid/high end damper which is comfortable enough for daily driving, perfect for dealing with imperfect roads when driving in the mountains (canyoning in American?) and working very well for track days but the last tenth or two isn't as important as it is for genuine racing. I feel that sometimes these sorts of requirements are overlooked as a lot of damper manufacturers assume that only those racing will pay for real quality dampers when in fact it's the daily drivers who do some track days and a regular night/sunday morning in the hills who benefit most from the top end coilovers as they give the performance and the compliance which the cheaper coilovers can't deliver.

JRZ and MCS were probably top of the list but Mike's review of the Tein SRC has piqued my interest
IMOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
my other car is gets more track time but the frs will be on there too. soon for its initial setup for the coils and probably some drift time as well
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
For me it's a mid/high end damper which is comfortable enough for daily driving, perfect for dealing with imperfect roads when driving in the mountains (canyoning in American?) and working very well for track days but the last tenth or two isn't as important as it is for genuine racing. I feel that sometimes these sorts of requirements are overlooked as a lot of damper manufacturers assume that only those racing will pay for real quality dampers when in fact it's the daily drivers who do some track days and a regular night/sunday morning in the hills who benefit most from the top end coilovers as they give the performance and the compliance which the cheaper coilovers can't deliver.

JRZ and MCS were probably top of the list but Mike's review of the Tein SRC has piqued my interest
I echo your point here exactly. Thanks for articulating.

I think the KW V3 needs competition. They have found a niche market for the weekend track goer who primarily daily drives their car. I just think $2400 for this setup is way too expensive and I personally feel the spring rate is too soft. RCE's Tarmac 2 "clubsport" version of the KWs are very interesting but might be out of my budget for the BRZ.

I'm interested to see how good the Bilstein PSS's end up for the BRZ. I also like the Konis but I wish it wasn't an "insert" type and the Ground Control options just don't seem like the right way to do things...

I have DG-5s on my NSX but it's more a toy and track car so the budget and priorities are completely different. I suppose I would consider them if Tsuchiya made a set for the 86 but it doesn't appear development there is far along at all. Nor would I want to rebuild them every 15-20k miles or so. I do 18k a year in my BRZ! This also brings up the importance of longevity being a priority also.

TO TIC: It would be very helpful if laymen folks like us can understand the pros/cons so we can evaluate accordingly. I don't think you're talking to the crowd who buys Stance coilovers here (no offense to the STance brand). We know it's always a compromise between streetability, trackability, and cost.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RYU For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
fun thread..

the KW3 competition wins at present, I may be one of only two guys running it on this board:

KV3 is a trackable damper with street manners. Most folks pay over $2200 for these, I could have had them figure $500 less, ballpark. Almost got them. They would have cost me less than what I got.

I ended up with:

GC's Koni Race dampers is a streetable race setup putting track manners 1st, streets secondary, but thats what I wanted, this isnt a camry

I didnt want to ever feel like I couldnt pound the snot out of my dampers, so I went with Koni. I've spun out and gone baja at the track countless(yeah that many) times on my M3(not intentionally!), and those shocks feel perfect despite my admitted repeated abuse.

Sure the kw3 product involves paying for some pretty ano bling, but I dont ever buy something cause its prettier. Its not a sweater, its suspension. it doesnt benefit the ano process, powder coat is just fine for my ride

the koni is boring paint meat and potatoes. nothing to brag at car meets and point out
make you look at it and think you spent too much, zero real bling looking at the housings and such

The koni setup actually cost me more than the KW3, but that is the way I went. Internally there ARE differences. Places where a smaller shop like KV3 used the ease of machined aluminum, are places where koni uses a steel, as they have high production volume and can make a steel part instead for same cost
the materials used are comprable, but I wanted a spring wound by someone else than KW

I couldnt see the justification for Ohlins dollars, so I feel I did okay, and wouldnt have regretted going kw3 at all

however, for those of you that dont get the same discounts, if youre looking at $2400 for kw3, I suggest taking a good hard look at the GC KONI offering, ask for the upgraded front dual adjust dampers, you really dont NEED it in the rear.

while I have no experience with Tein, myself, I have used BilsTEIN plenty, and would again, and again. Like koni.
the pricing GC offers, you may be able to afford the coilovers, their camber plates and the strut bar for just a few dollars more ,literally, than the kv3 setup, if rear damper compression adjustability isnt something you need(the mass and load forces on the rear dont vary anywhere as much as the front end)

The dual adjust rears are coming- not sure if they are out yet, but I was sure I didnt need them for my application and track usage.
best to allocate the funds to where they matter
@CSG Mike, what do the tein reservoirs you just tested cost, for comparison

guys who have no intention to track, coilovers are a waste IMHO and overkill
that kit that lets you lower your car and keep oe shocks from Groundcontrol is for you
save you coin and buy a tune and exhaust instead

a quality damper, OE equiv by koni or bilstein is what the street only crowd needs, a stiffer coil
and GC has it for you all

you dont need kw3 for a street car
go with a touring setup instead and drive happy

Pics of my setup coming soon to a thread near you..

Last edited by gmookher; 01-09-2013 at 03:11 PM.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-09-2013), GC_Adam (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
@CSG Mike, what do the tein reservoirs you just tested cost, for comparison
$3650.00

IMHO, they're significantly better dampers than the KW V3/CS.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
guys who have no intention to track, coilovers are a waste IMHO and overkill
that kit that lets you lower your car and keep oe shocks from Groundcontrol is for you
save you coin and buy a tune and exhaust instead

a quality damper, OE equiv by koni or bilstein is what the street only crowd needs, a stiffer coil
and GC has it for you all

you dont need kw3 for a street car
go with a touring setup instead and drive happy

Pics of my setup coming soon to a thread near you..
No one will listen to this. There will always be people buying $1000 coilovers and slamming their cars. Street users don't even need adjustable dampers...they just think they do then never bother changing the settings very much.

TiC makes nice things...not for the poseurs though. I think you guys should think about what you want to do. Do you want to sell volume crap to poseurs or good (and more pricier) equipment at a lower volume to true enthusiasts? I suspect you'll go for option two, in which case you should just go ahead and get your race dampers ready and provide street options down the line.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
so far it's looking like a fairly even split, but then again the sample size isn't too big.

please chime in guys.
I didn't vote because there's a HPDE/DailyDriver group here that doesn't fit in either two of your poll categories I feel. In any case, I think i've said enough. Time for other people to chime in.

I just hope this doesn't thread turn into a massive he_said/she_said debate like most threads end up at on this forum.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
No one will listen to this. There will always be people buying $1000 coilovers and slamming their cars. Street users don't even need adjustable dampers...they just think they do then never bother changing the settings very much.

TiC makes nice things...not for the poseurs though. I think you guys should think about what you want to do. Do you want to sell volume crap to poseurs or good (and more pricier) equipment at a lower volume to true enthusiasts? I suspect you'll go for option two, in which case you should just go ahead and get your race dampers ready and provide street options down the line.
Sadly, option one is where the money is. We refuse to sell anything we wouldn't use ourselves though, so I guess we'll never be rich
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote