follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #15
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Get all of the details to your insurance company and let them be the ones to deal with the shady company. Your insurance will make you whole and ought to allow you to choose the shop you go to and use OE parts and will then take it up with the other. That's the way I've always dealt with dumb shit that other people have done to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
i've always just called my own insurance company and let them go after the other company. give them the police report and you'll get your deductible back. thats what im paying them for...

This 100%.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
yeah so this insurance co is garbage. called mine, started a claim and I'll be dropping the car off friday. F*CKING F*CK!
echo419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
yeah so this insurance co is garbage. called mine, started a claim and I'll be dropping the car off friday. F*CKING F*CK!
Should have called yours the day it happened. Should have never called hers, that's your insurance's job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #18
echo419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Should have called yours the day it happened. Should have never called hers, that's your insurance's job.
per my agent. going through my insurance company we have to file a claim. When we file a claim and I get the repairs I still have to pay my deductible. in this case $500. then they go try and collect from the other insurance company and AFTER my insurance company gets paid then they would cut me a check to refund my deductible.

I did not want to have to shell out $500.

but none of this matters since her insurance finally called me and according to them she's not listed on the policy as a driver. it looks like she just lives with someone that owns that car. so this means I'm going to have to file a claim anyways(Uninsured motorist), she's just getting a ticket and unless my insurance co sues her, wins and actually gets paid she's getting away with damaging my property without penalty.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Swabodda
Magnificent Bastard

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ tS 15/500 - 2013 Tundra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This is patently false. You only contact your insurance company when you're at fault or if you're in the situation described here. The right call was made to contact the company insuring the at-fault vehicle. There is no reason, other than failure to pay by the at-fault driver's company, to initiate a process which often times results in litigation or, at the very least, too much back and forth between the two companies. This raises costs and I'm sure we can all agree we pay too much for insurance as it is.

Source: My wife has been an insurance agent for 17 years.
Swabodda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swabodda For This Useful Post:
echo419 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabodda View Post
This is patently false. You only contact your insurance company when you're at fault or if you're in the situation described here. The right call was made to contact the company insuring the at-fault vehicle. There is no reason, other than failure to pay by the at-fault driver's company, to initiate a process which often times results in litigation or, at the very least, too much back and forth between the two companies. This raises costs and I'm sure we can all agree we pay too much for insurance as it is.

Source: My wife has been an insurance agent for 17 years.

So your argument is insurance agents don't like to do their job so we should do it?

Wrong. I like to have the people I hire to do a job, do the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Brooklyn (07-12-2018), Ultramaroon (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #21
Swabodda
Magnificent Bastard

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ tS 15/500 - 2013 Tundra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So your argument is insurance agents don't like to do their job so we should do it?

Wrong. I like to have the people I hire to do a job, do the job.
Except it's not their job unless you're at fault or there's a situation similar to the one described by OP.

Do you keep a lawyer on retainer too?
Swabodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
per my agent. going through my insurance company we have to file a claim. When we file a claim and I get the repairs I still have to pay my deductible. in this case $500. then they go try and collect from the other insurance company and AFTER my insurance company gets paid then they would cut me a check to refund my deductible.

I did not want to have to shell out $500.

but none of this matters since her insurance finally called me and according to them she's not listed on the policy as a driver. it looks like she just lives with someone that owns that car. so this means I'm going to have to file a claim anyways(Uninsured motorist), she's just getting a ticket and unless my insurance co sues her, wins and actually gets paid she's getting away with damaging my property without penalty.
That sux
Old 07-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabodda View Post
Except it's not their job unless you're at fault or there's a situation similar to the one described by OP.

Do you keep a lawyer on retainer too?

When you buy full coverage it is.

And for auto matters, yes. Their name is AAA.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #24
echo419

Quote:
When you buy full coverage it is.

And for auto matters, yes. Their name is AAA.
per my agent with which I am fully covered with my car and home I have to file a claim to get them to take action, pay my deductible and wait for reimbursement. I was trying to avoid having to float $500 for however long it took them to collect from her insurance.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #25
Trollhart

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That sucks for you in the first instance, but think about it that way:

You outlay 500 bucks now and get your car fixed soonest possible,
while your insurance deals with all the pesky stuff (like, in the worst case, suing the opponent side, obtaining a title, executing from that title, etc.).
This takes a lot of time and nerves, and in the end the other side may not be able to pay at all.

You don't Need to Thing about any of this, and you may even get an unexpected 500 bucks back at some point in the future.

Small anecdote: I got sideswiped by some ***hat in an SUV on Friday the 13th (not today, the one in April).
Surveyor estimates the damage around EUR 5.000-6.000.
For reasons which take too long to explain here, I chose to not involve my comprehensive insurance, but I took Action via my lawyer immediately (I have legal insurance).
End of June I finally received 50% settlement (since there were no independent witnesses, it was decided that fault would be shared 50/50 - time to get a dashcam).

I will finally be getting the car back end of August.

Could I just have paid 500 bucks to get the car back in May or so, and save myself all the hassle, I would have done that without hesitation.
Trollhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #26
echo419

first I would imagine insurance etc might work differently here and in Europe. I can't say for sure as I've never driven or insured a car over there.

this is how it normally works here when the other party is at fault.

I get police report, call their insurance, send the report and maybe some pics. Then I drop the car off at the shop doing the repairs. They advocate for me with the insurance co to make sure they pay to fix my car properly. I go pick up rental car which the other parties insurance pays for. car gets fixed and I pick it up. the end.

I spent 20 minutes on the phone with my insurance co yesterday giving an official statement that was recorded in case of legal action. in the meantime I've got to wait until they review the report. then I've got to drop the car off. since I don't have rental insurance I have to pay for a rental car(it's not worth the cost of coverage. I could rent a cheap little car 2 days every month for the price of the car). now they do offer the option of taking the car to one of their "approved" shops where the repairs get instantly approved and the ins co pays them directly. they gave me all this BS about how the work will be warrantied etc if I take it there. truth is the only reason these shops are "approved" is because the shop agreed to repair the cars as cheaply as possible. they use shit aftermarket parts that don't fit for shit and it's all thrown together as quickly as possible. the shop does this because they are basically guaranteed work flow and quick payment in exchange for them agreeing to keep the costs of the repair down as much as possible.

my own insurance company screwed me last year when I got vandalized. long story short instead of fixing my door or giving me a new door they made me wait for a used door off of a wrecked car to come in promising that it would be perfect and ready to install right away(they never are). then when it came in he had to repair that door and that took more time. then after he installed the door we realized that it was from a premium not a limited model. so I had to come back and get him to swap out the parts from my old door into the new one(I need my car a couple of days and couldn't just leave it). now for some reason when I open that door it beeps 3 times like something is wrong. we've both taken the door apart to try and figure out what the issue is. everything seems to be identical to the way it was before. oh and now I have a door with a different vin # than my actual car. #Fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Swabodda (07-13-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #27
echo419

dropped it off yesterday. here's to hoping I don't get screwed by my own company.