follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
rjgough95

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 7.3 F350 Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelo View Post
I installed tomei uel header and overpipe one week before tomei front pipe and perrin 2.5 resonated catback.... Uel and over pipe with rest stock is great, boxer rumble that is not loud but stock muffler did sound pretty good on wot... Upon later installing tomei front pipe and perrin catback all hell breaks loose on wot in a good wat...Loud but boxer rumble no rasp no drone loud...from the experience i now know tomei uel and frot pipe, beside being catless are very light built...tubing is thin ... Is the ingredient for loudness.. What makes my setup loud is definetly the tomei parts and i'm loving it... Jackpot for me since i wanted a loud deep boxer rumble always and all hell breaks loose boxer scream at wot but no rasp ever.... seriously... Thank god
Hope this helps!!!!
Does the over pipe being changed out really make any difference???
rjgough95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgough95 View Post
Does the over pipe being changed out really make any difference???
I can't tel since i installed headers and overpipe at the same time...sorry...
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
brzbrad
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that I now want to do a full headers-back set up, I guess I don't like having money in my pocket and I want the "Subie rumble" from UEL's. I was looking at the SpeedFactory Daily Rage w/Perrin from FT86SpeedFactory.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/spee...rrin-1627.html

Not sure if I want resonated or catted FP yet. Thoughts/anyone have experience with this set up?
brzbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #18
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I have/had the Perrin 2.5" resonated and now have the 3.0" resonated exhaust.

Just switching from the 2.5 to the 3.0 I gained almost double volume. Adding the JDL front pipe made it a bit embarasing to drive with the 3.0". I had to imediatly rev the engine in the mornings to get it out of the cold start or I'd wake the neighborhood.

The main difference in the 3.0 from the 2.5" I noticed is the volume durring cold starts and when on the throttle. The 3.0 makes it loud and sounds like a beast at WOT. The 3.0" also sounds like shit when cruising. Think 75mph in 6th gear @ 3.2k rpms on the highway...it's just drone. I have to push the stock radio past the 50% volume to just mute the reverb. This wasn't a problem when I had the 2.5" as it was never displeasing to listen to even with the front pipe.

As far as resonated or unresonated. If your doing full exhause resonated IMO is the way to go. It slightly knocks the high end off while giving you a throat clearing growl. When you add front pipe/op/headers your going to easily amplify the volume and rasp of the kit so knocking the trebel while preserving the mids and bass is great thing.

I upgrade because I'm in the process of turboing my car which will make the car much quiter. If I were to stay NA I'd keep the 2.5 resonated. But with boost I wanted the 3" for performance and for the exhaust to be a bit louder so that when the turbo is added to the car it only remains slightly louder than the 2.5" did at idle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
brzbrad (12-08-2014), Chad86 (06-10-2016)
Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #19
brzbrad
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelo View Post
I installed tomei uel header and overpipe one week before tomei front pipe and perrin 2.5 resonated catback.... Uel and over pipe with rest stock is great, boxer rumble that is not loud but stock muffler did sound pretty good on wot... Upon later installing tomei front pipe and perrin catback all hell breaks loose on wot in a good wat...Loud but boxer rumble no rasp no drone loud...from the experience i now know tomei uel and frot pipe, beside being catless are very light built...tubing is thin ... Is the ingredient for loudness.. What makes my setup loud is definetly the tomei parts and i'm loving it... Jackpot for me since i wanted a loud deep boxer rumble always and all hell breaks loose boxer scream at wot but no rasp ever.... seriously... Thank god
Hope this helps!!!!
After months of thinking, research and working with the guys at the tuning shop, I've pretty much decided on your set up. Tomei UEL headers and over pipe, Invidia FP, and 2.5" Perrin resonated. Can't wait for the parts to come in! And thanks for everyone's suggestions!
brzbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #20
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
I have/had the Perrin 2.5" resonated and now have the 3.0" resonated exhaust.

Just switching from the 2.5 to the 3.0 I gained almost double volume. Adding the JDL front pipe made it a bit embarasing to drive with the 3.0". I had to imediatly rev the engine in the mornings to get it out of the cold start or I'd wake the neighborhood.

The main difference in the 3.0 from the 2.5" I noticed is the volume durring cold starts and when on the throttle. The 3.0 makes it loud and sounds like a beast at WOT. The 3.0" also sounds like shit when cruising. Think 75mph in 6th gear @ 3.2k rpms on the highway...it's just drone. I have to push the stock radio past the 50% volume to just mute the reverb. This wasn't a problem when I had the 2.5" as it was never displeasing to listen to even with the front pipe.

As far as resonated or unresonated. If your doing full exhause resonated IMO is the way to go. It slightly knocks the high end off while giving you a throat clearing growl. When you add front pipe/op/headers your going to easily amplify the volume and rasp of the kit so knocking the trebel while preserving the mids and bass is great thing.

I upgrade because I'm in the process of turboing my car which will make the car much quiter. If I were to stay NA I'd keep the 2.5 resonated. But with boost I wanted the 3" for performance and for the exhaust to be a bit louder so that when the turbo is added to the car it only remains slightly louder than the 2.5" did at idle.
I'm switching to a Perrin 2.5" resonated from a full 3" setup as I have experienced the awfulness of drone and the intolerable loudness of 3"
With my current uncatted header and soon to install Perrin 2.5" resonated, would it be best to just switch back to the stock frontpipe and overpipe, or are there any benefits to sticking with my current 3" overpipe and catted, resonated frontpipe? Although there will be a bottleneck going from the 3" piping to 2.5" exhaust, is this worth it? or am I only going to produce additional noise levels? as I am trying to do without by switching to a 2.5" exhaust setup.

This video is the only setup I could find that is solutioning the same scenario I am in, where the 3" exhaust and uncatted header was originally too loud, so the user switched to the Perrin 2.5" resonated, retaining the 3" overpipe and 3" catted frontpipe.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FCXs7chGho"]Perrin 2.5" Exhaust Cold Start/Revs - YouTube[/ame]