follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
This is the video of full throttle 15 psi runs on my Visconti tune:

Damn that sounds sexy!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblackfrs View Post
Whats the deal with the TRD s/c? I haven't heard anything about it. Then again I haven't done a whole lot of research either. I briefly talked to the toyota service manager where I bought the car. (bought 5 cars from that dealership actually and they take care of any problem I've ever had so I trust them)

He quoted me $4400 for the kit and $700 labor to install it.

Quote:
He must have been talking about an Innovate kit. Ask @Frs300 how great a decision it is to let a dealership install your forced induction kit.

ya dont let toyota install anything end up with a pile of rubble for a motor lol
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
ravenblackfrs (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
ravenblackfrs

Quote:
This is the video of full throttle 15 psi runs on my Visconti tune:
Chris, is the exhaust stock? Or did you upgrade it? If so what exhaust did you do? And if you had a recommendation for me, what should I do to my car in the mean time before getting the FI. Should I go ahead and have the exhaust work done? Do I need to buy a different intake? I currently have an Airaid Intake on it. Been on it since I bought the car. I'm planning on having the work done in November. Just have to get with my local tuning shop. @king_tut

Thanks for all advice man. Hope to see you down at the meet in winter park, fl. Going to try to talk my buddy into driving his Cayman S down with me.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Chris, is the exhaust stock? Or did you upgrade it? If so what exhaust did you do? And if you had a recommendation for me, what should I do to my car in the mean time before getting the FI. Should I go ahead and have the exhaust work done? Do I need to buy a different intake? I currently have an Airaid Intake on it. Been on it since I bought the car. I'm planning on having the work done in November. Just have to get with my local tuning shop. @king_tut

Thanks for all advice man. Hope to see you down at the meet in winter park, fl. Going to try to talk my buddy into driving his Cayman S down with me.
I don't really think any intake is worth it on this car. I would sell your Airaid and go back to stock and focus on exhaust upgrades. I have the GReddy Evo3 which is a 2.75" exhaust that is a little too loud for most people without a turbo as a muffler. I would at least get your overpipe and midpipe done, and I would recommend non catted.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
ravenblackfrs

Quote:
I don't really think any intake is worth it on this car. I would sell your Airaid and go back to stock and focus on exhaust upgrades. I have the GReddy Evo3 which is a 2.75" exhaust that is a little too loud for most people without a turbo as a muffler. I would at least get your overpipe and midpipe done, and I would recommend non catted.
I bought the Airaid within weeks of buying it. Its on it cause I'm too lazy to take it off. I'll take it off when they do the turbo. I have a magnaflo axel back and whatever the pipe is that goes into the muffler. Not sure what they call that pipe. Its sounds pretty aggressive but its only axel back so I know its not much.

As for non-catted... NOT HAPPENING... car has to be inspected yearly and I don't know anyone to "overlook" that feature. I'll do aftermarket headers and do a high flow cat.

So I'd be good buying a perrin exhaust from header to tip and be good? It wont mess up the engine riding like that until I buy the turbo? Not going to do the turbo until around Christmas. So in the meantime I will get the exhaust done. 2.75" or 3"?

I'm doing this turbo for more power, not to track or race the car so I'm not looking for anything insane. Just more umpth.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
I bought the Airaid within weeks of buying it. Its on it cause I'm too lazy to take it off. I'll take it off when they do the turbo. I have a magnaflo axel back and whatever the pipe is that goes into the muffler. Not sure what they call that pipe. Its sounds pretty aggressive but its only axel back so I know its not much.

As for non-catted... NOT HAPPENING... car has to be inspected yearly and I don't know anyone to "overlook" that feature. I'll do aftermarket headers and do a high flow cat.

So I'd be good buying a perrin exhaust from header to tip and be good? It wont mess up the engine riding like that until I buy the turbo? Not going to do the turbo until around Christmas. So in the meantime I will get the exhaust done. 2.75" or 3"?

I'm doing this turbo for more power, not to track or race the car so I'm not looking for anything insane. Just more umpth.
If you are going turbo, then the Perrin 3" is a great option.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
ravenblackfrs

Quote:
If you are going turbo, then the Perrin 3" is a great option.
Should I go ahead and do header back with cat? I know you said do without the cat but I'm not going to be able to get away with that living in Atlanta. Would that large of an exhaust cause me to lose back pressure on the stock engine?

Sorry, I'm a noob at some of this stuff.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

The general consensus seems to be that this motor doesn't need backpressure. When do you have to get the vehicle inspected? There is no guarantee that you will pass once you go turbo as most turbo kits include turbo manifolds with no cats. Also I think @Synack is in ATL now if you wanted to see the D3PE turbo kit in person.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Should I go ahead and do header back with cat? I know you said do without the cat but I'm not going to be able to get away with that living in Atlanta. Would that large of an exhaust cause me to lose back pressure on the stock engine?

Sorry, I'm a noob at some of this stuff.
Yes, you will likely lose some torque with an exhaust that large. Back when I had the Nismo 370Z, I had the Greddy Turbo Ti-C exhaust which was 2.75" and I lost about 3wtq on a dyno. But I gained about 7-8whp. If you do go the exhaust route, if you are planning on staying naturally aspirated, then go with 2.5".

I'm not sure of the high flow cat options for the FR-S/BRZ as I am running straight turbo all the way out of the catback without any cats inbetween. But if you can go with a headerback exhaust with high flow cat, that would be your best bet. You would still most likely pass emissions. Sometimes the CEL could possibly go off, but they usually go away. It's just because most highflow cats are right at the edge of throwing off your oxygen sensor's accepted values. Depending on when you bought the car, if you bought it new, then you have exactly 2 years after purchase until you have to get emissions testing done.

If you got the headerback (header,highflowcat,catback) all in 2.5", I would expect ~25whp without a tune. Possibly ~40whp with tune. It would be loud as shit though. Unless you got a catback with a damn good muffler.

Good luck
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
Synack
Boosted

Just read the rest of the thread lol. If you want to stay safe and avoid breaking lots of stuff. I would go with no more than 300whp. And 300 might be pushing it on stock internals, depending on how you drive. Most of these people might disagree with that number because a lot of the turbo cars are shop cars, not daily drivers. 300 is a safer number for someone driving their car daily. Now I drive like an asshole, and I've already started breaking stuff. Just part of the deal of doubling your stock power. Blew out some gaskets, turbo is already leaking oil, transmission is already acting all fudged up. I'm sitting at just about 350whp. My compression is also much lower than stock. Personally, after driving Tut's car, I would recommend staying with stock compression and just not pushing the car too hard. It will save you a lot of money of the pistons/rods, and it will also allow you to have a much more linear power band.

Also if you stay below 300whp you will eliminate the need for methanol injection or E85. You can just stick to 93 pump gas only, which is more practical.

When I drove Tut's car, he had power everywhere. The lag was more or less nonexistant. Which is the opposite of my car. With the compression drop, my car is a DOG under 4000rpms, but when it hits boost it's like a "freight train", quoted from Tut. If I had to do it again, I would prefer the lower power with stock compression and minimal lag. It's more fun that way. It's more practical. Although my highway drives are a blast lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
ravenblackfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Just read the rest of the thread lol. If you want to stay safe and avoid breaking lots of stuff. I would go with no more than 300whp. And 300 might be pushing it on stock internals, depending on how you drive. Most of these people might disagree with that number because a lot of the turbo cars are shop cars, not daily drivers. 300 is a safer number for someone driving their car daily. Now I drive like an asshole, and I've already started breaking stuff. Just part of the deal of doubling your stock power. Blew out some gaskets, turbo is already leaking oil, transmission is already acting all fudged up. I'm sitting at just about 350whp. My compression is also much lower than stock. Personally, after driving Tut's car, I would recommend staying with stock compression and just not pushing the car too hard. It will save you a lot of money of the pistons/rods, and it will also allow you to have a much more linear power band.

Also if you stay below 300whp you will eliminate the need for methanol injection or E85. You can just stick to 93 pump gas only, which is more practical.

When I drove Tut's car, he had power everywhere. The lag was more or less nonexistant. Which is the opposite of my car. With the compression drop, my car is a DOG under 4000rpms, but when it hits boost it's like a "freight train", quoted from Tut. If I had to do it again, I would prefer the lower power with stock compression and minimal lag. It's more fun that way. It's more practical. Although my highway drives are a blast lol.

LOL, Yea not looking to go over 300whp. Was thinking a modest 250-300 would do just fine. My car isn't even a daily driver... its a weekend driver... lol. Tut's build sounds about perfect. I didn't see if he had done anything to exhaust or not. I was thinking going ahead and running the stock motor n/a with the upgraded exhaust until I could get the turbo put on. I don't want it to be super loud, if its that loud its going to be annoying to drive and take away from the sound of the turbo. LOL, So 2.75"? or 3"? If 3" is going to make me lose too much BP while n/a I'll wait and have it done at the same time I have the turbo done. Was just trying to be proactive.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
LOL, Yea not looking to go over 300whp. Was thinking a modest 250-300 would do just fine. My car isn't even a daily driver... its a weekend driver... lol. Tut's build sounds about perfect. I didn't see if he had done anything to exhaust or not. I was thinking going ahead and running the stock motor n/a with the upgraded exhaust until I could get the turbo put on. I don't want it to be super loud, if its that loud its going to be annoying to drive and take away from the sound of the turbo. LOL, So 2.75"? or 3"? If 3" is going to make me lose too much BP while n/a I'll wait and have it done at the same time I have the turbo done. Was just trying to be proactive.
Well first of all if you are definitely going turbo, then I wouldn't touch anything before the catback. And you most definitely won't be able to run a cat, mine blew out a year ago lol. The turbo acts somewhat as a muffler and brings the noise level of the exhaust down. I'm currently running 2.5" on my catback, and it's not very loud. I wouldn't imagine 2.75 or 3" would be much louder when you're turbo. But they are definitely louder if you are NA. Just don't buy any headers etc if you plan on going turbo because the turbo will more than likely require a turbo manifold replacing the stock one.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
cb7tuner

Drives: 2013 whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've got the FA20club turbo kit on mine if you wanted to check it out as well. In McDonough GA. i will also be at the nopi nationals show this weekend in commerce
cb7tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cb7tuner For This Useful Post:
ravenblackfrs (09-18-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I did mine in stages. I purchased a Zeta Performance catback first, added the turbo manifold/header from FA20Club second, Flex Fuel kit third, and now the turbo is being installed this week. I still have the stock front pipe and over pipe for now. It worked well for me as i was able stretch out my spend and install the stuff I felt comfortable with while leaving the harder job for those with a lift. Good luck!