follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: What motor mounts do you run?
Stock 28 46.67%
Cusco 6 10.00%
Perrin 17 28.33%
STI 7 11.67%
Other: Explain 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #29
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Gotta disagree. Have you seen how much movement the engine has in the cradle in on/off throttle? Engine mounts are probably one of the best ways to improve driveline performance in on/off throttle and ensure that torque is going to the wheels instead of needless movement of the engine/trans assembly. You can literally feel the entire driveline moving during shifting and on/off throttle conditions.
That too. I remember a non-twin owner pointing out the engine wobble when I would hit redline free revs. You can see it in my dyno vids too when I was doing the stock baseline pulls.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #30
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I saw how much it could move when I installed my clutch, and I couldn't get the damn engine to stop moving so I could get the transmission to seat. I still prefer the less NVH approach of the OEM mounts on the street. I am not sure why we didn't get the rear dogbone mount that the WRX/STI have.
I wondered about the rear dogbone as well, but I never bothered upgrading mine on the WRX - Group-N engine mounts fixed all my concerns with no additional NVH outside of during cranking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku View Post
That too. I remember a non-twin owner pointing out the engine wobble when I would hit redline free revs. You can see it in my dyno vids too when I was doing the stock baseline pulls.
Yup, you can clearly see it in my baseline dyno vid as well. @Mach V Dan even made a comment on it at the time, too.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #31
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm debating on making the switch to some STi mounts in my Innovate equipped BRZ.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #32
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
My Perrin mounts would not fit with the Perrin overpipe. I sent them back. After seeing these pics, I'm glad I stayed with stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I think its safe to say over 90% of Perrin Engine Mounts customers and target market for them have an aftermarket header.

To extract the kind of power from the engine that merits upgrading mounts, one of the first steps is upgrading the stock header.
It is definetly possible to run the PERRIN engine mounts on a turbo or aftermarket header car. As long as there is proper airflow during dyno runs, with proper shielding, wrap, etc you will be fine. We've been selling these for a while, and I believe this is the first time I've heard of a melted mount!
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #33
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
It is definetly possible to run the PERRIN engine mounts on a turbo or aftermarket header car. As long as there is proper airflow during dyno runs, with proper shielding, wrap, etc you will be fine. We've been selling these for a while, and I believe this is the first time I've heard of a melted mount!
I have them and will inspect them later on. I have been running with no tray under the engine since the new turbo kit got installed. This is just one more reason to not mount it
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I have the Perrin motor mounts, but will likely be going back to stock or going with different mounts.

Sent from my Nexus Five, I'm Alive!
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #35
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
I have the Perrin motor mounts, but will likely be going back to stock or going with different mounts.

I don't get why the drastic overreaction.....

It's one reported issue among a LOT of mounts sold....

Al least verify you have the problem before spending more money.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #36
tg_1981

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That is not normal for sure, sending PM! Sorry for the hassle. I'm not sure how many customers of ours have turbo kits installed with our header, this is the first we've seen melt! It could be that it will need additional head shielding.
Chris thank you for taking care of the issue.
tg_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #37
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I don't get why the drastic overreaction.....

It's one reported issue among a LOT of mounts sold....

Al least verify you have the problem before spending more money.
Lol.

I do have a problem. I'm not a lemming.

I've noticed an annoying harmonic resonance from these mounts at highway speed on anything other than glass smooth roads. It could be due to also having the Perrin trans mount in combination. I don't know. Going back to stock mounts is a test to determine the true source of the resonance. It started right after I installed the Perrin motor mounts. I already had the Perrin trans mount in combination. I have many modifications, which I regret not doing in slow succession. It's hard to trace issues when too many things change.

From a dead stop launch, the mounts are doing their job no doubt.

I have little experience with imports. My prior experience has predominantly been on domestic platforms. On those platforms, I've experimented with solid mounts and the increased feedback through the chassis was welcome since it was mostly vibrational. I don't have a problem with a seat massage. This 'NVH' I'm getting from the poly-based Perrin's is more audible rather than vibrational. Combine with the lack of insulating material in the 86 and it gets old pretty quick.

Also, I don't always post my problems right away on the forum or any other. I don't want to be that guy. I tend to do a lot of troubleshooting before saying anything.

Last edited by evan; 02-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
ecko04 (02-25-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #38
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Just installed the Cusco mounts and they added a fair bit of NVH.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #39
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
cusco sitting in my garage waiting to go on
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #40
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
They definitely transmit more NVH than the ones on my WRX did. With a grabby clutch it would pretty brutal... Not an issue at highway speeds at all just low RPM starting and stopping and you feel it a bit at high RPMs through the pedal.

I put the Cusco mounts on along with a P&L header and Tomei front pipe, to go with my Perrin non-resonated catback. My wife says i ruined the car because it vibrates too much and sounds like shit.

Gonna have to get that resonated section for the Perrin.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #41
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Lol.

I do have a problem. I'm not a lemming.

I've noticed an annoying harmonic resonance from these mounts at highway speed on anything other than glass smooth roads. It could be due to also having the Perrin trans mount in combination. I don't know. Going back to stock mounts is a test to determine the true source of the resonance. It started right after I installed the Perrin motor mounts. I already had the Perrin trans mount in combination. I have many modifications, which I regret not doing in slow succession. It's hard to trace issues when too many things change.

From a dead stop launch, the mounts are doing their job no doubt.

I have little experience with imports. My prior experience has predominantly been on domestic platforms. On those platforms, I've experimented with solid mounts and the increased feedback through the chassis was welcome since it was mostly vibrational. I don't have a problem with a seat massage. This 'NVH' I'm getting from the poly-based Perrin's is more audible rather than vibrational. Combine with the lack of insulating material in the 86 and it gets old pretty quick.

Also, I don't always post my problems right away on the forum or any other. I don't want to be that guy. I tend to do a lot of troubleshooting before saying anything.

Sorry to hear about your mounts, from your experience, it sounds like keeping the stock mounts or using a softer upgraded mount would suit you better. Our mounts will add a noticeable difference in vibration and sound. Especially with other mods on your car which it sounds like you have, it could get pretty loud.

I know there's some customers though that have complete exhausts with a stiffer transmission mounts and our engine mounts that are fine though. It might be worth a shot checking the overpipe to make sure nothing's rubbing.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #42
evan

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your mounts, from your experience, it sounds like keeping the stock mounts or using a softer upgraded mount would suit you better. Our mounts will add a noticeable difference in vibration and sound. Especially with other mods on your car which it sounds like you have, it could get pretty loud.

I know there's some customers though that have complete exhausts with a stiffer transmission mounts and our engine mounts that are fine though. It might be worth a shot checking the overpipe to make sure nothing's rubbing.
Chris.. I haven't yet written off the mounts since I haven't isolated the problem 100%. For all I know, it could be a wheel bearing that's toast. Everything is fine until I reach highway speeds on less than smooth roadway. I then hear this harmonic resonance. It's the best way to describe. It's not vibration coming through the steering wheel. I did recently do a compete overhaul of my exhaust from the header downpipe back, so any overpipe clearance issues should be addressed.

I'll see you at SyKart later. Maybe we can chat about it further then..

--
"wacks on..wax off"

Last edited by evan; 03-06-2014 at 08:04 PM.