follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
gamjatang

Drives: 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Audio System: OEM Audio+ Reference, Audison Prima 8.9, or Hertz Energy setup?

Debating what I should get… please help! (1st post, I usually reddit but may find more help here?)

I can’t stand the (cringe-worthy) stock audio system for my 2016 BRZ so I went shopping around for audio systems. Currently I use AKG 801 headphones with a FiiO amp for my computer setup which has an amazing sound stage and sound reproduction (i.e. not a thumping “loud” guy). I don’t consider myself an audiophile but I can recognize good sound. The Bose system upgrade from factory in my Nissan Rogue sounds okay but infinitely better than BRZ stock hands down. I listen to a variety of music including pop, techno, jazz, some rock, and very little rap. I plan to sound deaden my car this weekend in prep for the audio system install, and keep my stock head unit for now.

Option #1: $1100 (+$600 installation and materials) Hertz Energy 3-way (sorry not Hi-Energy as posted in title), 2 coax speakers, average amp, standard sub+enclosure. This is the cheapest option and I’m sure the sound is probably going to be better than my Bose system.

Option #2: $1500 (attempt install myself) OEM Audio+ 400CF Reference. Many good reviews from FT86 owners. I would likely pick Balanced bass option since I like a clear bass. I’ve not done any car mods yet at all but I’m willing to try – Youtube vids look like an easy install and I would just need to buy standard tools. The downside is I can’t adjust anything after installation besides EQ in stock head unit. The upside is the sound stage is already custom tailored for our FT86 despite the cheaper components, which I know cheaper components can actually sound much better if acoustics is tuned well (hence many people claiming good bang-for-buck for rookies doing car audio systems).

Option #3: $1500 (+600 installation and materials) Audison Prima AP8.9. He didn’t mention it, but I assume installer will put in something slightly better than stock speakers and can utilize this 8.1-channel DSP/AMP – it’d be crappy if he was thinking of working off stock speakers/tweeters. There was a post in R8 forums about how the system works, and another post indicating the Audison AP8.9 would make okay speakers sound great (very bottom of OP’s post). Downsides are this is the very top of my budget I’m willing to spend on this system and price does not include any sound stage tuning. Upside is I think I can hook a USB to the unit and tune it on a laptop to my liking. It also sounds like a “plug-and-play” system according to the installer, and I may be able to transfer the unit if I switch to a new twin in the future for instance.
gamjatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dsp is the most important part of good sound in a car. The oem+ would likely be better than the first option, but as you said, not adjustable if the tune isn't where you want it.

Option #3 gives the most flexibility. I recently heard a Lexus with just dsp, amps and tuning, and while it didnt get loud enough for me, the sound quality was very good at the levels he listened at. Most often now days, the stock speakers aren't the weakest link, the tuning from the factory is.

I'm cursious, what are you using for deadening?
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Option 1 seems good. Hertz is one of the best in the market. And would probably be the best for your buck option.

Option 2 is also good if you want to get something basic, and throw it in there.

Option 3 Would need a bit more info. You can throw that amp in with Option 1 also.

All those options can work with stock HU if you buy a proper Line out converter like LC2i (I'm running it at the moment and my shop tuned it for me).
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

The problem with option one is the stock processing won't work with a 3 way. You'd need a way to process the signal anyways.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Vmax911

Drives: WRB BRZ
How much time do you want to spend on this?

I hear good things about the OEM+ system. It's very plug and play, and the DSP tuning is done for you. Obviously not very flexible if you want to tweak your sound, but just install and be done.

I would chose option #1 with the addition of an external DSP. However, I have found out that you can spend hours and hours tweaking and tuning with all the flexibility a DSP will give you. I guess it depends on how much you like to tinker.
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
gamjatang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Dsp is the most important part of good sound in a car. The oem+ would likely be better than the first option, but as you said, not adjustable if the tune isn't where you want it.

Option #3 gives the most flexibility. I recently heard a Lexus with just dsp, amps and tuning, and while it didnt get loud enough for me, the sound quality was very good at the levels he listened at. Most often now days, the stock speakers aren't the weakest link, the tuning from the factory is.

I'm cursious, what are you using for deadening?
Toost - Thanks for the DSP insight. I'm not a person to blast the speakers so it is okay, just need clarity. The loudness from stock is fine (just very muddled sound in all the highs-mid-lows). For option#1 the installer will include equipment in the price I provided to process, just something more basic than option#3.

Xfury - the reason I don't want to combine #1 and #3 is because I don't want to go over my budget. I've got wheels/tires/coilovers to think about come Spring.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Given your listening level, I would put dsp above all else. Muddled bass/midrange etc, almost always comes from poor tuning. Either bad time alignment, bad phase alignment at the crossover or even just poor crossover choices.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
gamjatang

I'm probably going to do #3 or possibly #2.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Black-Self-adhesive-Automotive-Insulation/dp/B00PCLPXXQ"]Noico deadening[/ame] material off amazon
Old 12-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

I can't tell you the performance of it as a deadener as I won't get to testing it until next weekend, but I can tell you that it held up to 400 degree f in my heat testing. So you shouldn't ever have to worry about it failing due to heat.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I initially rolled my own upgrades on my car stereo. 2 12s in the trunk with a 150W mono amp. Upgraded 6.5"s in the doors with 1" tweeters and passive crossovers driven off the Pioneer 4400BH. It sounded pretty good for the ~$1000 I put into it including the deck.

I then got the OEM Audio+ system, and it sounds even better and I have a useful trunk again.

+1 for the OEM Audio+

Bob

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

The reason oem+ sounds good is the tuning. The speakers/amp etc are nothing special. But it's tuned for the car. That's makes all the difference in the world.

Just for reference, the human ear can hear a time alignment adjustment of less than a millisecond between the left and right speakers. My last install needed 5 ms to time align the right and left midrange, and they were in the kick panels and my seat was relocated further back than stock. With door speakers and stock seating, the needed time value will be even more. That's how important dsp is.