follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #169
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKOLA View Post
I try to keep my traction control off, but it comes on automatically after travelling a short distance down the road. How are any of you keeping traction control off all of the time?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #170
Seattle944t

Drives: Sc10n
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I try to keep my traction control off, but it comes on automatically after travelling a short distance down the road. How are any of you keeping traction control off all of the time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
What he said, there is a lot of useful information for you there.

But, to answer your question: If you just press the Trac button it is temporary and will turn back on once you go over 30MPH. To disable it you need to hold it down for 3 seconds and you will see both the Trac and VSC lights activate. Now it won't turn back on when you exceed 30MPH.
Seattle944t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle944t For This Useful Post:
NIKOLA (09-13-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #171
NIKOLA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Wow.....what a tough crowd! Ok, so I didn't read the manual. How many people actually read any manual of any kind?

Anyway, thanks for the info. It wasn't that hard to answer my question.....was it?
Currently driving a Sprintex Supercharged FR-S in Ultramarine with an Invidia N1 Catback with Catless Front Pipe, Invidia Over Pipe, Injen Catless 4:1 EL Headers, Perrin Aluminum Drive Pulley & Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft. Also, looking to upgrade wheels someday to Enkei PF01's (17x8's).
NIKOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #172
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow.....what a tough crowd! Ok, so I didn't read the manual. How many people actually read any manual of any kind?

Anyway, thanks for the info. It wasn't that hard to answer my question.....was it?
*raises hand* i still have all the manuals to my old Sega Genesis and NES games. But i'm weird. lol
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #173
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Reading manuals is the best pooping material ever. You learn, you poop... that is basically 2 of my favorite things.

Stack your manuals in your bathroom, its a good time.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Luis_GT (09-14-2013), StarshipPoopers (09-14-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #174
#944_10_Series_FRS

Drives: 2013 10 series FRS #944
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Here is a video talking about traction control... They even tested on our FRS;

http://autos.yahoo.com/video/mythbus...175528043.html
#944_10_Series_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #175
(fr-s)

Drives: 2013 fr-s 6sp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you faster with traction control on or off?

In dry weather I usually go TC off. If its wet, in my experience, if TC is off and you aren't careful or paying attention the back end WILL step out on you. I usually keep it on in wet unless I'm specifically trying to have some fun and fully focused on doing so.
(fr-s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #176
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Too much variables in daily driving, better keep them on.
I hate to imagine some kid just run crossing and I have to brake in mid corner while at the same time that particular road are wet not because of rain but because some sprinkler malfunction.
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gzpermadi For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #177
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
My own experience with the FR-S (can't speak for other cars):

- If you're a beginner, TC ON will make you faster on the track/autox. Poor throttle inputs during cornering with TC OFF + prius tires = spin out (I know!).

- After one or two track days or autox's, VSC ON may be faster (YMMV). You're better at modulating throttle input but still make rather big mistakes once in a while. Having VSC ON increases the slip angle threshold before the computer kicks in, so now you can corner faster.

- As you gain seat time and start going faster and faster, TC becomes too intrusive, literally slowing you down. So at this point you turn it off.

I think if you have to ask, then leave the aids on. When it's time to turn them off, you'll know.

On the street I leave everything on, save for one or two canyons that I know very well and trigger the TC even at moderate speeds.
This, although i leave vsc on for my first run while.the tires are cold.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #178
Jose_Timberlake

Drives: Scion FRS 2.0 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
I'm sorry, but exactly how are you faster on the street with traction control off? I would have hoped this was about the track because if anybody is driving faster on the street without ESC they are an idiot and this would be an idiotic topic. Streets are speed limited. Having ESC doesn't waive speed limits. Since almost all speed limits are set well below what the road can safely handle, why have a discussion that's about whether you can drive the speed limit with TC on or off. Speed limits are the max speed, conditions may require slower speeds.

You can plan for "unfortunate events." It's called defensive driving. Ride a motorcycle as long as I have and you will understand what I mean. In an urban setting, with heavy freeway traffic, you assume everyone around you is trying to kill you, you always have a plan, and you are anticipating something bad happening. It is no guarantee, but it will keep you alive a lot longer than assuming other drivers will do what they are supposed to. Work the same in a car, only your chances of injury are far less if something bad does happen.
Owned/rode a K7 Gixxer for a couple of years and it definitely made me a better driver. Totally get what u mean about having to think for everyone else on the road as if they were out to kill you! The '07 Gixxer came with a factory stabilizer which saved my ass w/out question one Sunday morning ride (nasty speed wobble)...I'll use this analogy when it comes Traction Control:

TC and/or VSC is like a condom(s), I'd rather have one & never need it, instead of needing it & not having one.
Jose_Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #179
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
Don't try and justify TC with things that don't interfere with the way I drive. I use my seatbelt all the time and feel uncomfotable without one, but that doesn't interfere with what I want the car to DO.

I drive at safe distances that give me enough time to react to certain situations, if you don't, you need to go to driving school, I've avoided many accidents because, even though I speed a lot, I keep enough of a safety margin that allows me to calmly think of the situation and do what I need to do to correct it.
Hmmm...I'm also consistently inconsistent. You speed a lot yet manage to keep a "safety" margin? How can you keep any margin of safety when speeding? Contradictions at its finest...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jose_Timberlake For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #180
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
On a public road = TC on (if there is one)
On a private road / track / closed environment = I go through the trouble of disabling TC

Why bother on a public road? I've had cars with and without TC.

Keep in mind, the cars I had without TC were also typically lower horsepower and torque but also lower weight. That means less to bring to a stop and less grip needed to maintain control.

People talk about grip like it is digital, either you have grip or you don't. NOT TRUE. Most of the time, there is actually SOME grip but we overpower it through excessive throttle and environments (downhill slide for example) will exacerbate it. Cars have gotten heavier no doubt about that and we have even more to stop whereas tire technology hasn't caught up as much as the weight and hp wars have gone up.

People talk about hydroplaning and losing control like a lab experiment but in reality for a car to have ALL FOUR TIRES to do exactly that and get a perfect hydroplane is actually not that high. I need to dig up that SAE paper on traction control and its merits.

Now I am ranting.

Either way, hats off to the old geezer who drove lots of cars without TC. I may not have driven as many cars but I did drive a few and I am accident free so far (knock on wood).

Frost
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #181
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Well what are we all lecturing you for you almost maintained a constant drift on perfectly paved wet pavement on a closed course. You can definitely handle the flawed, public roads of the real world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
Apparently things for @Luis_GT are always black & white, never a grey moment. The man is ready to handle any "Oh S**t" moment where something unexpected & unpreventable happens while speeding in & out of traffic...with all of the safety "nannies" switched off, of course. The man will rise to this unforeseen scenario with such precision that he'll put the old adage of "S**t happens" to shame, because clearly...his reflexes would outperform any TC system any day of the week.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #182
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_Timberlake View Post
Hmmm...I'm also consistently inconsistent. You speed a lot yet manage to keep a "safety" margin? How can you keep any margin of safety when speeding? Contradictions at its finest...
Quite easily in fact, I speed when traffic is light and if I see 2 cars in front I slow down to the speed limit and take my time to pass, but I'm guessing you lack driving judgement, depth perception, and the ability to plan what to do ahead of time.

Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote