follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2023, 06:10 PM   #1
ThatGuyWithAnFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Water Leak in Trunk

Hey everyone, recently with the rain I've had my trunk has continuously filled up with water. It's to the point where I leave multiple towels in the trunk and popped off one of the little plugs so the water doesn't pool up back there. I've narrowed two of the spots to be my tail lights gaskets (I have some Gasket Ninja ones on the way) and my windshield. But there are these two other spots where I have leaks, shown in the video below, and I have zero clue how to fix them. All the seals on the outside look good and I've tried using some 3M weather strip adhesive to reseal some spots to make sure they are sealed but yet it continues. Any help would seriously mean a lot, been having this issue for months now and it's really annoying, thanks!

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZKy2a57cPdc
ThatGuyWithAnFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:12 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,823 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, ThatGuyWithAnFRS, I don't have any other ideas other than what I mentioned in your previous thread.

You have to be over 65 years old to be allowed to post two threads about the same thing within the same month.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (02-27-2023), x808drifter (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:05 AM   #3
ThatGuyWithAnFRS

Hey Hum, apologies for posting a similar thread but previously the water was leaking in from a different location. It has come to my attention now that the water is leaking in also from the upper area above both tail lights. Not here to be rude in any way, also I'm not nearly 65 years old xD. Apologies if it's annoying but I'm just here to seek help and maybe help others here in the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatGuyWithAnFRS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,823 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithAnFRS View Post
Hey Hum, apologies for posting a similar thread but previously the water was leaking in from a different location. It has come to my attention now that the water is leaking in also from the upper area above both tail lights. Not here to be rude in any way, also I'm not nearly 65 years old xD. Apologies if it's annoying but I'm just here to seek help and maybe help others here in the process.
And that's OK -

My main suspects still are:

* leaking around the rear window glass

* leaking past the trunk seal

I hope you find the leak.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:11 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the rear tail light gaskets are known to leak over time. i would first suspect/inspect those.

the rear glass and trunk seal are possible, but somewhat rare unless the vehicle was subjected to some oddball forces like launching it off things, or was in an accident.
ThatGuyWithAnFRS (02-27-2023), Turdinator (03-30-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #6
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
When I got my 2013 FRS there was moisture getting in the R taillight. I found some extra thick gaskets to install. When I got around to putting in the new gaskets, I found that the bolts holding the light in were loose. I never noticed any water actually getting in the trunk.

I guess you could do it the old fashion way: Put the back seat down, crawl into the trunk, and have someone spray water on the back of the car.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:52 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I came to comment about taillights too. Check em!
Old 02-27-2023, 11:04 PM   #8
ThatGuyWithAnFRS

Thanks Soundman, BlsFRS, and DarkPira7e for the responses. I recently ordered tail light gaskets from Gasket Ninja and those should help with the actual tail light area itself. In the video linked at the top I showed that it is leaking in that little open area above the tail light, I tried to point to the exact spot with my thumb, has anyone ever had issues in that area? Also an update, I contacted an Auto Glass shop in my area and have a scheduled date to get the glass removed and completely resealed along with new Window Moulding. I will leave a response afterwards if that fixes the leak from my previous thread where I had water leaking deep in the trunk (above where the coilover is kinda). For these other two spots I'm gonna continue testing and such, looking for areas where sealant could've been missed and hopefully finding a fix. Appreciate everyones help!!! I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else who's having similar issues.

Link to video of possible rear glass leak: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IX9-_0f6a-I

Link to video of leak from above the tail lights: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZKy2a57cPdc

Also just wanted to say, the Trunk gasket has been replaced and sealed with 3m WeatherStrip Sealant, along with new tail light gaskets. Just for anyone curious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatGuyWithAnFRS For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (02-28-2023), DarkPira7e (02-28-2023), soundman98 (03-01-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 06:08 PM   #9
ThatGuyWithAnFRS

Hey guys, just an update for anyone wondering what happened with the issues. So I brought the car into an Auto Glass shop to get it resealed. They pulled off the glass and found RUST, so apparently some time in the past the car either had a respray or something, but there was rust. So I paid a nearby shop to repair the rust and paint the area. After that the glass shop finished the job and put the cleaned glass onto the car. The glass fixed 2 out of the 3 leaks I had been experiencing, the leak deep in the trunk above the rear driver side coil-over, and the leak above the driver side tail light. The leak above the passenger side tail light still remains, but it is a lot slower. I have been looking around the area and using 3M weather strip sealant to fill any spots that might have a possible entry point for water, I will update the thread again once I figure out what is causing it. And thanks to everyone who responded for the help, much appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatGuyWithAnFRS For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-16-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:29 PM   #10
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Had a huge pool in my trunk after the rains this month as well. For me I think its the weather-stripping on the trunk. Both my taillights were immaculate when I check but the bottom of the trunk weather-stripping seemed to be bad and easily moved.

I guess those 2 black stopper things were suppose to allow water to leak out the bottom of the car if you remove it?? Engineers knew water was gonna get down here lol
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Had a huge pool in my trunk after the rains this month as well. For me I think its the weather-stripping on the trunk. Both my taillights were immaculate when I check but the bottom of the trunk weather-stripping seemed to be bad and easily moved.

I guess those 2 black stopper things were suppose to allow water to leak out the bottom of the car if you remove it?? Engineers knew water was gonna get down here lol

the bottom of the trunk weather stripping doesn't make any sense to be letting water into the trunk.

the weather stripping coming loose is likely a symptom instead of the cause. you need to look upstream. could still be the weather stripping, but up near the tail lights, or at the top by the rear glass.

all cars have plugs like that. jeep guy's like to leave them out for offroading sessions
FrickingReallySlow (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 11:05 PM   #12
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I used to get the pool in the spare tire area too. Never figured it out.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #13
ThatGuyWithAnFRS

Hey FrickingReallySlow, if you're able to pull off the trunk gasket that easily I would highly recommend replacing it, mine was the exact same and was allowing tons of water to get into the trunk. I bought a new one from Toyota for relatively cheap, and use some 3M Weatherstrip sealant on the inside of the gasket to make sure it sealed properly, and when you remove it I have a feeling you might find some rust so I would make sure to paint it after the fact.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:35 PM   #14
ThatGuyWithAnFRS

Also just to add, I recently fixed all my water leaking issues in my own vehicle. I went around using sealant and laying new beads everywhere to prevent anything getting in and everything is all good. Here's a list of all the parts I replaced.
-
Main Trunk Gasket Seal (Deck Lid Seal): SU00305128
-
Tail Light Gaskets (Both L&R): http://gasketninja.com/
For Aftermarket tail lights (I have Valentis) I used the 2017-2020 Gaskets and used the 3M Sealant that can be added to the order to have a correct seal.
-
Atmospheric Vents (Duct, Quarter Vent "Both L&R are same part): SU00307831
-
I also had the rear glass resealed, I don't know the part numbers for the molding and everything since the shop purchased all that but it did fix part of my issue.
-
3M Weatherstrip Adhesive: http://www.amazon.com/3M-08011-Black...5505c9d1e&th=1
-
Thanks to everyone that helped! And I hope this helps anyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatGuyWithAnFRS For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-30-2023), DarkPira7e (03-29-2023)