follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #29
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks everyone for the info. I really am thinking of going tomei. Dat peer pressure doe.
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallsAndFoundations For This Useful Post:
number1Tango (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #30
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_of_ra View Post
I am debating the same thing. from all the videos i've seen, the tomei UEL sounds a little raspy (crappy mics on phones probably but i am not sure) while the FT86 header sounds awesome + it has a cat. People have praised the Tomei a lot so i am in two minds.

I don't know the performance gains between the two, but a tune should eliminate that torque dip regardless of which one we go with.
It's really going to depend on the rest of your exhaust.
Stock FP seems to keep the rasp away. Catless will more than likely have some rasp, but that's also dependant on your MP and muffler.

My experience...
Catless UEL header and rest of the exhaust stock = no rasp.
Threw a catless FP on and it had a little bit of rasp.
Catless UEL header, stock FP and Perrin 2.5" resonated = deep sound with no rasp.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #31
edeekeos

Drives: 2014 Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Just figured I'd stop in again and reassert my new found love. This Tomei header is amazing! I've got a good ~100miles of fuel trim learning in now, and WOW does she pull down low. Night and day difference from stock(I'm also on the E juice though.)

My current setup consist of: Tomei UEL -> Tomei OP -> CNT Resonated FP -> Stock Catback. I will say, with no cats at all in the system, its pretty raspy, but not bad IMO. Actually I personally LOVE the way it sounds. It's a very tuned/aggressive rasp if that makes any sense? Not like a tin-y cheap rasp, I don't know, kinda hard to explain. I think some of this may have to do with the VERY agressive timing from the E85 tune. It pops and crackles alot, I love it. I should mention however, at cold start, when timing is retardedly retarded, it LOOOOOOUUUUUDDD, and VERY raspy! I will see what I can do about getting a video for you.

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #32
edeekeos

Drives: 2014 Pearl BRZ Limited
Garage
Ok, here ya go. Sounds alot deeper in person, this was taken with my iPhone..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Wu-ECtzag"]Subaru BRZ Tomei UEL Header - YouTube[/ame]

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #33
Maverickgear

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeekeos View Post
Ok, here ya go. Sounds alot deeper in person, this was taken with my iPhone..

Wow, those popping sounds... Just wow
Maverickgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #34
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Waiting for someone to ride out their 86 and find used collectors somewhere and put it on as an attempted exhaust tip
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 AM   #35
ckim

Drives: '15 DGM STi Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
Two of my buddies have Tomei UEL and I have an Open Flash UEL. Openflash might still have some in stock so I would consider them too.
Do the Tomei UEL and OpenFlash UEL sound much different? Have there been any Tomei UEL dynos posted yet?
ckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #36
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I would recomend the Tomei over the Speedfactory because it's cheaper and catless. Plus the Speedfactory ones have been having cracking issues, so I would stay clear. Wait 6 months to get a header that cracks? No thanks.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #37
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tomei is the way to go, if you're in the market for an UEL Header--right behind JDL, if not on par, with quality. (JDL is more expensive because they offer a lifetime warranty). From personal experience, I'd go with Tomei because of their reputation as an aftermarket company--I had too many Tomei parts on my old 240 and not one of them cracked or were faulty. Currently as I type, I've clocked over 10k miles with the Tomei UEL on my 86 and nothing has gone wrong. Additionally, when I initially installed the header, no CEL lights popped up--this was when I was untuned. I later picked up an OFT and tuned the car just to be safe. I have nothing against the FT86 headers, it's just that if you're going to buy an aftermarket header for this platform, why would you go catted (assuming you're going to get the catted version)--you're restricting your car's maximum performance potential. Moreover, to the people that say that having a catless header will yield raspy exhaust tones, that's complete bull--if anything, it's the catback/ axleback that you have in your car that will determine the car's exhaust note. An unresonated and/or catless exhaust will always be raspy, no matter what.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-16-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #38
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you're looking for performance, Tomei or JDL.

I personally have the FT86SF and my results where disappointing, losing low end tq and only gaining 5hp from a tune.

As of last month, I chisled off the FT86SF cat and the difference it made feels substantial, still need to go to the dyno to see what gains I got from removing the cat though.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #39
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As far as the FT86SF option, I can't comment as we haven't tuned one yet. We have, however, tuned quite a few of the Tomei UEL header and they are an absolute joy to work with. Great quality, fitment is spot on, and there are substantial gains to be had with it. I'd say that the Tomei is about one of the best bang for the buck pieces you can get right now.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-04-2015), D_Thissen (02-16-2015), tahdizzle (02-09-2015), Thatguyjeremy (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #40
white_knight

Drives: 2013 86 GTS - Pegasus White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
If you're looking for performance, Tomei or JDL.

I personally have the FT86SF and my results where disappointing, losing low end tq and only gaining 5hp from a tune.

As of last month, I chisled off the FT86SF cat and the difference it made feels substantial, still need to go to the dyno to see what gains I got from removing the cat though.
I had similar results with mine. While the SF headers fixed the dip, I actually lost torques way down low.

How did you actually remove the cat from the header? Do you think this would've regained that lost torque way down low? Would it need another tune?
white_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #41
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_knight View Post
I had similar results with mine. While the SF headers fixed the dip, I actually lost torques way down low.

How did you actually remove the cat from the header? Do you think this would've regained that lost torque way down low? Would it need another tune?
I used a hammer and a chisle... I have to make a custom tune for it eventually, but in the mean time I'm using OFT 91 oct stage 2.

Still need to take it to the dyno to see if theres any difference.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #42
power_of_ra

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
It's really going to depend on the rest of your exhaust.
Stock FP seems to keep the rasp away. Catless will more than likely have some rasp, but that's also dependant on your MP and muffler.

My experience...
Catless UEL header and rest of the exhaust stock = no rasp.
Threw a catless FP on and it had a little bit of rasp.
Catless UEL header, stock FP and Perrin 2.5" resonated = deep sound with no rasp.
how about... tomei UEL, motiv catted fp/op and perrin resonated CBE?

about to finally buy one of these damn things this summer.
power_of_ra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to power_of_ra For This Useful Post:
leoh007 (02-23-2015), number1Tango (01-11-2016)