follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #575
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fbm uses PnP 12" Spal fans and they're own design rad. The fans used by Carolina dyno are actually a lower grade and cfm rating due to the straight blade design. An oil cooler with a fan will work better especially in stop and go traffic.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
yomny (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #576
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Fbm uses PnP 12" Spal fans and they're own design rad. The fans used by Carolina dyno are actually a lower grade and cfm rating due to the straight blade design. An oil cooler with a fan will work better especially in stop and go traffic.
Good info, i was going solely on pictures as i didn't have more info but this does seem like a better deal specially at a lower price.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yomny For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #577
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
This question goes mostly for track participants. What would be an adequate setup for NA car with enough overhead to run a turbo at the track. I was considering running a setup like the one carolina dyno makes, shroud with spal fans along with koyo rad, this paired with a front mounted oil cooler such as seatrab core with a sandwhich type adaptor. Any suggestions, althought nothing seems to be good enough for turbo's at the track due mostly to placement of the kitss.
@CSG Mike

What about these guys from setrab, i think its a 20 row.
You won't need the fans on the oil cooler if its front mounted.

What kind of power output are you thinking?

I'm a huge fan of the 20A 12" SPAL fans, and you only need to do some minor wiring to make them work.

Which series is the Setrab you're thinking? 20 rows are generally a 1 or 9 series core.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #578
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The STOCK radiator hasn't proven to be a bottleneck at the track for multiple people. People need to stop assuming that the stock radiator is inadequate.

Control your oil temps well and if you want to do more ... address getting airflow through all the cores and out of the engine bay. This could mean vented hood or some sort of airflow mod, and/or powerful fans and/or replace the stock crash beam.

No one to my knowledge has proven that more powerful fans will do anything on this platform ... yet. I think @CSG Mike is planning on testing that in the future.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #579
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
The STOCK radiator hasn't proven to be a bottleneck at the track for multiple people. People need to stop assuming that the stock radiator is inadequate.

Control your oil temps well and if you want to do more ... address getting airflow through all the cores and out of the engine bay. This could mean vented hood or some sort of airflow mod, and/or powerful fans and/or replace the stock crash beam.

No one to my knowledge has proven that more powerful fans will do anything on this platform ... yet. I think CSG is planning on testing that in the future.
We've had the fans sitting on the shelf for over a year... but we needed more data on the stock fans.

The big fans will probably go on sometime in January; we have a custom shroud to accommodate the fans, and will put them into production if there is demand.

It's easy to fit fans with the JRSC; other systems may have some clearance issues depending on where piping is routed, etc.

It may be on before Laguna Seca...
Old 12-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #580
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You won't need the fans on the oil cooler if its front mounted.

What kind of power output are you thinking?

I'm a huge fan of the 20A 12" SPAL fans, and you only need to do some minor wiring to make them work.

Which series is the Setrab you're thinking? 20 rows are generally a 1 or 9 series core.
I was planning on using the 20 row not sure what the difference are between the 1 & 9, care to elaborate. I dont know if a 20 would be overkill for NA but i did want a little headroom for boost. Then again i dont know if the 20 row would block more air. I was aiming for just around 350whp on 93oct.
@sw20kosh i wanted to install a radiator because most turbo kits replace fans and thought it would be practical to install the rad along with the kit since i may endup needing it in the future.. on that thought, is what led be to opt for the upgraded rad with shroud and spal fans now rather than after or during the kit. Kind of preparing the ground for the future plans. Maybe going with a kit that doesn't replace fans at all would be better and focus on venting the heat? Just getting ideas here.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #581
CSG Mike

Quote:
I was planning on using the 20 row not sure what the difference are between the 1 & 9, care to elaborate. I dont know if a 20 would be overkill for NA but i did want a little headroom for boost. Then again i dont know if the 20 row would block more air. I was aiming for just around 350whp on 93oct.
@sw20kosh i wanted to install a radiator because most turbo kits replace fans and thought it would be practical to install the rad along with the kit since i may endup needing it in the future.. on that thought, is what led be to opt for the upgraded rad with shroud and spal fans now rather than after or during the kit. Kind of preparing the ground for the future plans. Maybe going with a kit that doesn't replace fans at all would be better and focus on venting the heat? Just getting ideas here.
Keep in mind that some radiators "push forward" while others "stick out to the back". That'll determine what fans will clear your particular setup.

Oil temps have minimal correlation with output, except that the turbo may be oil or oil/water cooled, which adds heat to the oil.

If the oil cooler is the first cooler in your airflow stream, a 9 series 20 row will probably be slightly on the too much side. If it's 2nd, after the FMIC, then it'll probably be perfect.

1 series and 9 have different widths; you're probably looking at a 9 series, which is 15" wide.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
yomny (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #582
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
@CSG Mike will probably agree with me here... avoid front mounted turbo kits. That really narrows your choices but maybe he can shed some light on the headaches of tracking/running a front mount turbo.

I run a 25 row series 9 right behind the intercooler. It is doing great for track. It is overkill for street. I will live with it as all I need to do is block off some of the airflow to it in order to keep street oil temps nominal.

I would say a 20 row is perfect if it is behind the intercooler.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #583
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'm planning on installing my oil cooler in the passenger fog light area.

This requires some long lengths of coolant lines, to and from the cooler from the sandwich plate, compared to a cooler mounted in the center of the radiator grill. I do not want my oil cooler sitting directly in front of my intercooler.

Is the extra 2-3 feet of oil lines to the cooler a big deal? I know there's some pressure loss from running the cooler and longer lines.

It just seems to me on my car the best placement is going to be the fog light passenger side (about as far away from the sandwich plate as can be) using the AVO ducting as well..
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike the snake For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (12-08-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #584
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I'm planning on installing my oil cooler in the passenger fog light area.

This requires some long lengths of coolant lines, to and from the cooler from the sandwich plate, compared to a cooler mounted in the center of the radiator grill. I do not want my oil cooler sitting directly in front of my intercooler.

Is the extra 2-3 feet of oil lines to the cooler a big deal? I know there's some pressure loss from running the cooler and longer lines.

It just seems to me on my car the best placement is going to be the fog light passenger side (about as far away from the sandwich plate as can be) using the AVO ducting as well..
Why not go with the Jackson Racing oil cooler, which mounts behind the intercooler and up off the tray using a low mount bracket? It's best thermostatic solution I've seen.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #585
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I don't think there's room because I moved my radiator and condensor forward for clearance. I don't think there's room in front of, or behind the intercooler now.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #586
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Keep in mind that some radiators "push forward" while others "stick out to the back". That'll determine what fans will clear your particular setup.
Tell me please which one "sticks out to the back? I really need that one! I bought Mishimoto and it "pushes forward" and can't live together with the intercooler from the HKS V2 setup without major modification of mounting points.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #587
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
Tell me please which one "sticks out to the back? I really need that one! I bought Mishimoto and it "pushes forward" and can't live together with the intercooler from the HKS V2 setup without major modification of mounting points.
Robispec (although they're prone to failure), and.... our prototype (which will probably never go into production).

The Koyo is a "fatter" core.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (12-10-2014)
Old 01-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #588
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Anyone know wether the DEI "cool tape" or "reflect-a-gold" are worth a damn? I've seen some go as crazy as wrapping the entire intake pipe and oil pan. Also has anyone had any issues with the spal fan melting?

@Reaper The Varis hood with the center NASA duct would be perfect for your setup with the holes in the cowl panel.

Last edited by Kiske; 01-31-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote