follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
ACE Headers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #43
MiguelAE86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Drives: NB Miata
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Thanks: 425
Thanked 119 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
WE DO BIG THINGS
__________________
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #44
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits
 
Sportsguy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Limited BRZ
Location: Miami
Posts: 10,442
Thanks: 19,400
Thanked 7,940 Times in 4,190 Posts
Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Sometimes it's better to have some restriction to increase the speed of flow. It's like if you pinch the tip of a water hose the water flows faster.
Exactly. Hope everyone drops the myth no filter should be the best.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #45
xjohnx
Grip>Slip
 
xjohnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Location: RVA
Posts: 3,520
Thanks: 655
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Does these filter make the car run any smoother in the higher rpms?
You're welcome to snag the K&N from my BRZ and take your car for a spin if you'd like. It's a 30 second swap out.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Hanzo (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
FT-86 SpeedFactory
 
FT-86 SpeedFactory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 7,695
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 3,520 Times in 1,245 Posts
Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
Exactly. Hope everyone drops the myth no filter should be the best.
The best at sucking small rocks and bugs into your engine.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
kuhlka (12-05-2013)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #47
MarkMash
Senior Member
 
MarkMash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Toyota 86
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 301
Thanks: 415
Thanked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
not sure if this has been asked yet - what's the sound difference like to stock? much different? better? louder? cheers
MarkMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #48
xjohnx
Grip>Slip
 
xjohnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Location: RVA
Posts: 3,520
Thanks: 655
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMash View Post
not sure if this has been asked yet - what's the sound difference like to stock? much different? better? louder? cheers
K&N is slightly louder than stock.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #49
YoKeutla
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Scion FRS
Location: Iowa
Posts: 71
Thanks: 16
Thanked 47 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMash View Post
not sure if this has been asked yet - what's the sound difference like to stock? much different? better? louder? cheers
There is a noticeable difference in sound. In my opinion, I think the motor sounds much better with the drop-in filter now. Before, you couldn't really hear anything with the exhaust being so quiet. Now you can really tell you are getting up in the rpm range and I think the engine doesn't sound as raspy in those high rpms.
__________________
Sponsored By: FT-86 SpeedFactory - http://ft86speedfactory.com


Cheers!:happy0180:
YO
YoKeutla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YoKeutla For This Useful Post:
Hanzo (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #50
xjohnx
Grip>Slip
 
xjohnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Location: RVA
Posts: 3,520
Thanks: 655
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I used photoshop to overlay the stock vs K&N run:

xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
200hp/tonne (02-26-2014), bedabi (06-19-2013), Bonburner (08-01-2012), Brinks (07-23-2014), FT-86 SpeedFactory (07-31-2012), jimmillion (05-12-2015), Pascal_TTH (02-03-2013), SkitterSkotter (07-31-2012), Sportsguy83 (07-31-2012), YoKeutla (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #51
E92M3Guy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Location: Cali
Posts: 44
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All three runs added to the FT86 Dyno Database:
http://www.ft86dynos.com

Stock:
http://www.ft86dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=517

HKS Filter:
http://www.ft86dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=518

K&N Filter:
http://www.ft86dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=519

AFE Filter:
http://www.ft86dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=520
E92M3Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E92M3Guy For This Useful Post:
YoKeutla (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #52
YoKeutla
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Scion FRS
Location: Iowa
Posts: 71
Thanks: 16
Thanked 47 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Might want to note that we were running on 91octane. 93 is not easily accessible where we are from
__________________
Sponsored By: FT-86 SpeedFactory - http://ft86speedfactory.com


Cheers!:happy0180:
YO
YoKeutla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoKeutla For This Useful Post:
E92M3Guy (07-31-2012), SkAsphalt (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #53
E92M3Guy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Location: Cali
Posts: 44
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKeutla View Post
Might want to note that we were running on 91octane. 93 is not easily accessible where we are from
Fixed. Thanks.
E92M3Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #54
Tainen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Location: Washington
Posts: 808
Thanks: 154
Thanked 349 Times in 174 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you run each configuration 3 times on the dyno?(including baseline)

The reason I ask is, I've dyno'd my car like... 6 times now, and each time, the power fluctuates the first two runs and the 3rd run is the stable HP figure that is repeatable, and always the highest number as well.
__________________
First white BRZ in the country
Limited SWP BRZ, 35% tint, clear bra, Nameless Performance downpipe, axelback, headers
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
ZetaPerformance (09-19-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #55
d1ck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 249
Thanks: 31
Thanked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Sometimes it's better to have some restriction to increase the speed of flow. It's like if you pinch the tip of a water hose the water flows faster.
When you pinch off the end of a hose you're creating what's called a nozzle which reduces the cross sectional area which the water has to flow through. This is why the velocity increases. You can determine the velocity through a known opening by doing the following:

Code:
Velocity (ft/s)= Flow Rate(ft^3/s) / Area (ft^2)
However, you're not getting more flow by doing this, that literally makes no sense. Try breathing through a straw and you will know what I mean. It's much easier to breathe through your open mouth or nose which has a larger cross sectional area than a straw.

You're also creating a restriction which reduces the flow rate through the entire system system (Hose). Therefore by pinching the hose off you're increasing the velocity of the water, but also reducing the flow rate. The amount the flow rate is affected depends on the efficiency of the orifice as well as the area.

Now that you've (hopefully) learned some basic fluid dynamics you will understand why what you said has nothing to do with the increase from installing a filter.

That said, I can't explain why that happened, but I'm thinking it could be due to intake resonance which would have been designed with the filter in mind. Unfortunately I don't know anything about this field.

Alternatively it could be a simple artifact in the dyno testing and within the margin of error of the dyno. In this case it would have no significance.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d1ck For This Useful Post:
theredtape (04-26-2013)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #56
Hanzo
Senior Member
 
Hanzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Location: VA
Posts: 963
Thanks: 182
Thanked 656 Times in 194 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
When you pinch off the end of a hose you're creating what's called a nozzle which reduces the cross sectional area which the water has to flow through. This is why the velocity increases. You can determine the velocity through a known opening by doing the following:

Code:
Velocity (ft/s)= Flow Rate(ft^3/s) / Area (ft^2)
However, you're not getting more flow by doing this, that literally makes no sense. Try breathing through a straw and you will know what I mean. It's much easier to breathe through your open mouth or nose which has a larger cross sectional area than a straw.

You're also creating a restriction which reduces the flow rate through the entire system system (Hose). Therefore by pinching the hose off you're increasing the velocity of the water, but also reducing the flow rate. The amount the flow rate is affected depends on the efficiency of the orifice as well as the area.

Now that you've (hopefully) learned some basic fluid dynamics you will understand why what you said has nothing to do with the increase from installing a filter.

That said, I can't explain why that happened, but I'm thinking it could be due to intake resonance which would have been designed with the filter in mind. Unfortunately I don't know anything about this field.

Alternatively it could be a simple artifact in the dyno testing and within the margin of error of the dyno. In this case it would have no significance.
Interesting, I was thinking if you pinch down on a hose (not all the way down) your cross sectional area will still be the same since the hose would squash and widen (I may be wrong). Good info though, thanks!
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT/MT Dyno Results with/without Mods blackfireball5 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 0 07-04-2012 02:34 PM
My Fr-s Dyno Results!! Surprising if you ask me track_warrior Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 36 07-02-2012 10:15 PM
K&N Drop-In Filter for BRZ/FR-S in stock! Mach V Dan Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 0 06-27-2012 02:41 PM
Dyno results for the Nameless Performance street package! John@Nameless Announcements, Contests, Giveaways 31 06-26-2012 04:37 AM
Drop In filter test! Stock, Apexi, No filter RallySport Direct Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 14 06-25-2012 02:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.