follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
what state best to buy FT86

Its getting boring here just like the other topic on off topic area says, I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now. what state is the best to buy the FT-86? friend told me Portland Oregon has no sales tax don't know if its true, I don't mind flying and driving or shipping it (if its only $500) if I can save atleast $5000 on tax and all what shit they put to make it a higher price tag. A friend told me about this website called http://www.autobrag.com/ they compete to the lowest price of a new car, don't know how true they are on their price.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Then what?! When you bring it back to CA and try to register it they'll tag it on there and by that time it's going to cost you even more than if you bought it here after the emissions. If you do non-op then you should be good.

You're best bet is to buy it from a city with in CA that has a lower tax rate than where you are at. Bringing in an out of state car especially in CA and dealing with the DMV is a nightmare.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
I use to live in St Louise drove my altima back here just needed to pass smog and go DMV to get plates, whats the other requirements now?
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
the best way to get a good price is do your homework on a site like edmunds.com or something similar. they give dealer invoice price, which is where you want to start haggling with the salesman. they also show what other people paid in your area, so you have a reasonable expectation.

check for any and all rebates, financing deals, and other special offers, and make sure you know how they work (all the fine print).

if you can wait until the end of the calendar year, you could probably get a current-year model for cheaper than a next-year model.

i'm not sure about which state to buy in. personally, i'll go to whichever local dealership gives me the best deal with the least hassle. i'm not gonna bother traveling out of state just to buy a car. by the time you add up all travel expenses and time invested (maybe even taking time off work), it would be more beneficial for me to shop locally. also, if you're out of state and something goes wrong, you're SOL.

-Mike

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
alex2364

Drives: '07 S2000
You pay sales tax in the state that you register the car in. I know because I bought a new car in NC and registered and titled in VA.
alex2364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
I_AM

Drives: Toyota Mr-2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
You pay sales tax in the state that you register the car in. I know because I bought a new car in NC and registered and titled in VA.
this. the Government gets theirs. they make sure of it.
I_AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
I use to live in St Louise drove my altima back here just needed to pass smog and go DMV to get plates, whats the other requirements now?
First it has to have at least 7500 miles on the odometer before you register it.

Also since it's a 49 state vehicle, you have to get all the emissions crap installed, inspected by either the C.A.R.B or the State Referee then have it smogged.

If you buy it in CA, you don't have smog the car for 5 yrs.

It's a headache and will end up costing your more in the long run. Not even worth it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
the best way to get a good price is do your homework on a site like edmunds.com or something similar. they give dealer invoice price, which is where you want to start haggling with the salesman. they also show what other people paid in your area, so you have a reasonable expectation.

check for any and all rebates, financing deals, and other special offers, and make sure you know how they work (all the fine print).

if you can wait until the end of the calendar year, you could probably get a current-year model for cheaper than a next-year model.

i'm not sure about which state to buy in. personally, i'll go to whichever local dealership gives me the best deal with the least hassle. i'm not gonna bother traveling out of state just to buy a car. by the time you add up all travel expenses and time invested (maybe even taking time off work), it would be more beneficial for me to shop locally. also, if you're out of state and something goes wrong, you're SOL.

-Mike
Given the hype this car is already bringing, I highly doubt you'll get invoice or even $500 above it. They are probably going to do a dealer mark up on them too until supply has been met.

If you are the guy that has to have the latest and greatest, I hope you have deep pockets or have a hook up at the dealerships.

Costco has a decent car buying program but your best bet is to deal directly with the fleet sales manager. Buying in LA will also cut down on the shipping and freight charges since Long Beach is the main point of entry.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
yeah, my main point was it's better for the buyer if you haggle up from the invoice, instead of down from the sticker. i got my truck halfway between invoice and sticker, which i was proud of because i purchased it in November of '05. it's an '06, and at my time of purchase, it was "truck of the year", so the dealers knew there was high demand for them. it also wasn't on the lot, they had to do a dealer trade to get it for me.

wasn't easy, but i'm happy with the deal i got, heh.

and no, it wasn't a "latest-and-greatest" type purchase. i bought it when i needed it, hehe. for that matter, i STILL don't own an ipod of any kind. if that tells you something, haha. owned my MR2 for over 8 years now. i figure out what i like, buy it, and keep it.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
yeah, my main point was it's better for the buyer if you haggle up from the invoice, instead of down from the sticker. i got my truck halfway between invoice and sticker, which i was proud of because i purchased it in November of '05. it's an '06, and at my time of purchase, it was "truck of the year", so the dealers knew there was high demand for them. it also wasn't on the lot, they had to do a dealer trade to get it for me.

wasn't easy, but i'm happy with the deal i got, heh.

and no, it wasn't a "latest-and-greatest" type purchase. i bought it when i needed it, hehe. for that matter, i STILL don't own an ipod of any kind. if that tells you something, haha. owned my MR2 for over 8 years now. i figure out what i like, buy it, and keep it.

-Mike
Yeah, I was adding additional comments to your reply, not calling you out. I had a similar situation when I bought my 05 Tacoma but in Sept of 04. Since there weren't too many available on the lot and they wouldn't even let me test drive an X-Runner unless I had a deposit on one, I knew my chances of bargining were slim. I just sold my GSR so I needed a car and the timing was perfect.

I went through all the Toyota dealerships in San Diego and none of them would show me the invoice. It wasn't until I went to the Long Beach and LA Toyota dealerships that I started to get somewhere. I went to South Coast Toyota, Huntington Beach Toyota, Longo, Toyota of Glendale, and Norwalk Toyota fleet service managers to get the envoice price on both the truck itself and on the packages or options. (those are invoiced too)

It wasn't until I went to Carson Toyota, near Compton (the mecca) and finally was able to drive my super white 4x4 dbl cab TRD Offroad, w/tow package home. I originally wanted the white Sport model but they weren'te getting one for another 2 weeks.

Gloria Rincon from fleet sales... she kind of reminded me of Sarah Palin!

I wonder if she still works at Carson Toyota and could probably hook up an FT...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
jaymesbry

Drives: BL5 Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post

You're best bet is to buy it from a city with in CA that has a lower tax rate than where you are at. Bringing in an out of state car especially in CA and dealing with the DMV is a nightmare.
You pay CA sales tax according to the address that you register it in.
jaymesbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymesbry View Post
You pay CA sales tax according to the address that you register it in.
Yeah, you're correct.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
shaX 07

Drives: 1998 Honda Accord EX
What happens if you buy the car in a state that has a lower tax rate than the one you live in? I know that if you buy in a state with no sales tax you obviously pay it when you register, but if you paid 4% sales tax in one state and the one you live in is 5%, do they charge you the 1% difference when you register?
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote