follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Defrost works without AC, it just isn't as good. That's not really a clear indication of AC function. The AC should run all the time on defrost, it removes the moisture from the air.

When you recover an AC system the freon goes in to a tank. It mixes with everyone else's used freon, as well as whatever new stuff is in there. When you charge the system it pulls from the same tank.

Remove 1.5lb to take the engine out, put 1.5lb back in when you're done.

Remove 0.5lb, put back in 1.5lb someone is paying for that 1.0lb. It can't really be regulated, so the shop is most likely just eating it. But where did that 1.0lb go?

I've never seen a hole in the condenser create a small leak. Rock to the core = 0.0lb recovered and a green stain on your pant leg while you look under hood for that hissing noise.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Defrost works without AC, it just isn't as good. That's not really a clear indication of AC function. The AC should run all the time on defrost, it removes the moisture from the air.

When you recover an AC system the freon goes in to a tank. It mixes with everyone else's used freon, as well as whatever new stuff is in there. When you charge the system it pulls from the same tank.

Remove 1.5lb to take the engine out, put 1.5lb back in when you're done.

Remove 0.5lb, put back in 1.5lb someone is paying for that 1.0lb. It can't really be regulated, so the shop is most likely just eating it. But where did that 1.0lb go?

I've never seen a hole in the condenser create a small leak. Rock to the core = 0.0lb recovered.
Well we'll see when i actually pick up the car. They didn't tell me i had 0 lb freon recovered from the system. So they recovered some freon, but then all of the sudden it doesn't hold freon anymore when they tried to recharge it.

They just told me, when they were charging it, they "discovered" a leak and its not holding freon.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
maslin (04-04-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #17
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post

How card is it to replace ac condenser? i didn't see a DIY. And does ac condenser get removed by any chance during engine rebuild?
You can actually replace it by removing the plastic covers that connect to the front bumper cover on the bottom and bolting/unbolting it from down there. Pretty easy, no need to remove radiator and/or front bumper cover.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
maslin (04-06-2019), msaikhan (04-07-2019), Ultramaroon (04-06-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #18
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You can actually replace it by removing the plastic covers that connect to the front bumper cover on the bottom and bolting/unbolting it from down there. Pretty easy, no need to remove radiator and/or front bumper cover.
Aw man, i just saw this, after i had my bumper off.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-07-2019)