follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #8219
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are you running rich or lean?

Looking at your log, I notice that your IAM is at a horrible 0.3. You want that at 1.0 or as close as possible.
What this means is that your ECU is pulling ignition timing because you're experiencing knock. What type of fuel are you running?

Here is something to side-by-side compare with your car. Keep in mind that this is a nearly finalized tune though, or at least close to what I'd consider ideal for my needs.

https://datazap.me/u/riboyster/725mm...zoom=3870-4062

Edit: Did Open Flash make you get a new MAP sensor? IIRC Moto-East and Delicious recommend MAF tunes and default MAP sensor because of inadequate pressure readings. Not sure how much experience openFlash has with this kit.

Last edited by riboyster; 10-10-2018 at 08:47 PM.
riboyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #8220
BRZ_F

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Are you running rich or lean?

Looking at your log, I notice that your IAM is at a horrible 0.3. You want that at 1.0 or as close as possible.
What this means is that your ECU is pulling ignition timing because you're experiencing knock. What type of fuel are you running?

Here is something to side-by-side compare with your car. Keep in mind that this is a nearly finalized tune though, or at least close to what I'd consider ideal for my needs.

https://datazap.me/u/riboyster/725mm...zoom=3870-4062

Edit: Did Open Flash make you get a new MAP sensor? IIRC Moto-East and Delicious recommend MAF tunes and default MAP sensor because of inadequate pressure readings. Not sure how much experience openFlash has with this kit.
I saw the low IAM so it definitely needs timing removed. CA 91 gas is pretty bad and that's with me running Chevron. But before the timing is adjusted I want to make sure the code is taken care of.

It was running rich so my fuel trims were like -20% LTFT. I scaled the MAF but even after scaling the MAF the fuel trim vary a lot when I apply the throttle. During coasting the fuel trims and AFR are good but as son as start lifting off the throttle the STFTs go high positive. So only think I can think of is that the varying fuel trims are what are triggering the code.

I believe the tune is MAF based as I have the stock MAP which only reads up to 5 psi or so and Open Flash knows it the stock MAP. As you apply throttle and remove your foot off the throttle and decelerate do your STFTs vary a lot and go high positive?
BRZ_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #8221
riboyster

Quote:
I believe the tune is MAF based as I have the stock MAP which only reads up to 5 psi or so and Open Flash knows it the stock MAP. As you apply throttle and remove your foot off the throttle and decelerate do your STFTs vary a lot and go high positive?
Looking at my log, STFT stays at 0 when I'm off the throttle. A lot of this seems tuner specific. I hate to be the one to do it, but I'm going to recommend that you either go Moto-East or Delicious Tuning. Their off the shelf tunes aren't full of nearly as many problems. I'm sort of inclined to believe that this may be more of a tuning problem than a physical problem.
I know it's a bitch, but EcuTek allows for so many more datastreams to be monitored. I was in the same boat - I have both OFT and EcuTek. The reality is that Moto-East @moto-mike and @DeliciousTuning have much more experience in the field. Maybe they will comment and help with any ideas.

However, I don't want to completely eliminate MAF scaling or exhaust leak as a possible issue.
Looking at your boost levels off the gas at near maximum rpm, you're pulling -11psi which is exceptionally good, so I'm inclined to believe that it is not a vacuum problem.

Last edited by riboyster; 10-11-2018 at 09:28 PM.
riboyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #8222
BRZ_F

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Looking at my log, STFT stays at 0 when I'm off the throttle. A lot of this seems tuner specific. I hate to be the one to do it, but I'm going to recommend that you either go Moto-East or Delicious Tuning. Their off the shelf tunes aren't full of nearly as many problems. I'm sort of inclined to believe that this may be more of a tuning problem than a physical problem.
I know it's a bitch, but EcuTek allows for so many more datastreams to be monitored. I was in the same boat - I have both OFT and EcuTek. The reality is that Moto-East @moto-mike and @DeliciousTuning have much more experience in the field. Maybe they will comment and help with any ideas.

However, I don't want to completely eliminate MAF scaling or exhaust leak as a possible issue.
Looking at your boost levels off the gas at near maximum rpm, you're pulling -11psi which is exceptionally good, so I'm inclined to believe that it is not a vacuum problem.
Thanks! So I posted on FB and Moto East replied letting me know the Sprintex kits trigger the code so it needs to be turned off. I feel like I'm starting to get some closure on this and can probably stop chasing an issue that doesn't exist.

-I completed smoke check and no vacuum leaks (as you said idle PSI and when I let off throttle goes high up to -11 PSI which is good)
-I checked for exhaust leaks yesterday under the car and nothing (manifold end to the block, around O2 sensors, at the collector where header meets overpipe and they all check out)
-probed the pre cat O2 sensor; the white wire gives 2.2V at idle which is Stoich 14.7 AFR and with throttle moves up and down that; lower is richer and higher is leaner
-probed the post cat O2 blue wire and that seems to give .1V at idle; this one is a bit strange because i thought this is a narrowband O2 so it should give .45V for stoich 14.7 AFR
-MAF has been cleaned like 5 times
-MAF has been scaled
- No fuel leaks I can tell of; but have yet to check injectors to see if they are stuffed or leaking

Might just have to turn off the code just like P420 needs to be turned off when you go catless.
BRZ_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 AM   #8223
riboyster

It's very possible. Never heard of it needing to be turned off, but then again, I've never built a tune for FI. If Moto East told you that, then that's what it is. Kill the code, narrow down on that timing (think 3000-4000rpm), pump that IAM up to 1 and you'll be good to go!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #8224
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Been a while since I've posted here. My car is currently down and has been for a while (too hot to work on it). It first started sputtering and dying when you gave it throttle. I've finally got it to throw some codes and this is what they are: P0172 and P117B.
On torque pro it's going super rich when you give it gas like it's flooding the cylinders. I'm assuming it's a direct injector taking a shit but any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #8225
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
Just bought my stg2 kit today. Will be looking into a flex fuel kit as well

Any advice from you aged users? Other modifications besides header and flex fuel that I should look into?

2018 BRZ tS
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckls For This Useful Post:
Kenny_LongWrench (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #8226
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Just bought my stg2 kit today. Will be looking into a flex fuel kit as well

Any advice from you aged users? Other modifications besides header and flex fuel that I should look into?

2018 BRZ tS
Nothing here. Haven't done flex fuel yet.
Maybe consider high flow cat and catless headers if your state allows.

I'm also using the perrin stock MAF intake. Definitely brings out the whine and improves throttle response. Worth a try.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:48 AM   #8227
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So, I have the Varis Arising II hood with the NACA duct, I need to know if there's going to be a problem with that or not before I even decide to get a Sprintex..

Anyone have any ideas or can help?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #8228
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
So, I have the Varis Arising II hood with the NACA duct, I need to know if there's going to be a problem with that or not before I even decide to get a Sprintex..

I doubt anyone knows or had personal experience. You could somehow try to measure clearance from stock manifold to your hood, then stock hood to stock manifold see the difference. then try to find clearance of supercharger w/ stock hood and see the difference.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
sqd (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #8229
Rich196

Drives: GT86
Quote:

I would offer but i dont have sprintex any more, but if someone could make you a dimensioned template up that uses the alternator and AC pulley covers as a reference point, that goes round the nose pulley of the sprintex that would be you best best. It is pretty tight even on a stock bonnet.

sprintex by Richard Beale, on Flickr
Rich196 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich196 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (12-06-2018), sqd (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #8230
sqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
I would offer but i dont have sprintex any more, but if someone could make you a dimensioned template up that uses the alternator and AC pulley covers as a reference point, that goes round the nose pulley of the sprintex that would be you best best. It is pretty tight even on a stock bonnet.

sprintex by Richard Beale, on Flickr
Thanks anyway!

But I don't think the NACA duct is a problem, it sits too far back to be an issue with the pulley on the charger.. Considering that people run the Sprintex with different types of strut bars, I'd imagine that without a strut bar, the NACA duct wouldn't hit the charger.

But I would like to make sure too, of course
Old 11-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #8231
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks anyway!

But I don't think the NACA duct is a problem, it sits too far back to be an issue with the pulley on the charger.. Considering that people run the Sprintex with different types of strut bars, I'd imagine that without a strut bar, the NACA duct wouldn't hit the charger.

But I would like to make sure too, of course
If you don’t have one. You could get a strut bar that fits the sprintex. And use that to test fit. If it doesn’t fit can resell for 90% cost and only out around 20$.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #8232
sqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
If you don’t have one. You could get a strut bar that fits the sprintex. And use that to test fit. If it doesn’t fit can resell for 90% cost and only out around 20$.
If I'd been in the US, yes the strut bar would be easy to sell the way you suggest. Being in Sweden, it'd take me some time to get it sold, trust me

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.