follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #1079
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloko View Post
Another JDL kit gets installed!!!!!

I just wanted to come on here and share my opinion on the kit, excellent fitment and quality. Got the FMIC version with the JDL crash bar and JDL oil cooler, everything bolted on perfectly and the car got tuned by James at HRI and it drives like a DREAM. Running 10 PSI and this shit feels like a ferrari

I was never boosted before so having a boosted car for the first time is pretty exciting
congrats! stock internals right? what are you putting down to the wheels?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #1080
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Congrats! your car looks like mine now with the color combo lol. I have the same setup. Running 10psi too with E85 and I have a 12psi map for shits and giggles.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
mrloko (09-28-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #1081
djezlee

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I'm not sure but I emailed JDL asking about it and they said it would be no problem to build the kit. It's a few hundred extra.
Thanks!
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 AM   #1082
djezlee

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Turbos benefit from free-flowing exhaust. 3" would be better, but 2.5" will still be fine. Also, if you run an open dump, it's almost irrelevant.
I'd like to go 2.5" and re-circulated exhausted, but not if it compromises performance in anyway while using FI. From what I read the 2.5" overpipe is an better fit than the 3" and over the next few months, I will lose some performance going with a 3" exhaust while still NA.
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #1083
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I just wanted to come on here and share my opinion on the kit, excellent fitment and quality. Got the FMIC version with the JDL crash bar and JDL oil cooler, everything bolted on perfectly and the car got tuned by James at HRI and it drives like a DREAM. Running 10 PSI and this shit feels like a ferrari

I was never boosted before so having a boosted car for the first time is pretty exciting
On stock tires! Skiiiiiiiiiirt.

Really interested in your thoughts on the kit once you've owned it for a while. I want to track my car with this kit, but have only seen a few owners use it long term under super stressful conditions. Are you planning to wring it out regularly?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
mrloko (09-28-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #1084
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
On stock tires! Skiiiiiiiiiirt.

Really interested in your thoughts on the kit once you've owned it for a while. I want to track my car with this kit, but have only seen a few owners use it long term under super stressful conditions. Are you planning to wring it out regularly?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KwW7m6o7CI[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_ZWQgNy5k[/ame]

I have almost 10k miles on this kit. It's also my daily driver as well as a weekend track car. Worth every penny. The first video was from a weekend long track event Friday, Saturday and Sunday. tons of track time. the second video was from a single day event.

I will say you will most definitely need to upgrade your radiator. (on a side not assuming you have an oil cooler already if you plan on tracking).
Hicklinc (01-25-2020)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #1085
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post

I have almost 10k miles on this kit. It's also my daily driver as well as a weekend track car. Worth every penny. The first video was from a weekend long track event Friday, Saturday and Sunday. tons of track time. the second video was from a single day event.

I will say you will most definitely need to upgrade your radiator. (on a side not assuming you have an oil cooler already if you plan on tracking).
Oh man. That thing sounds unreal.

I do run a Jackson Racing oil cooler, but I imagine that I would have to swap it out once there is an intercooler in there.

What radiator do you run now?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #1086
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Oh man. That thing sounds unreal.

I do run a Jackson Racing oil cooler, but I imagine that I would have to swap it out once there is an intercooler in there.

What radiator do you run now?
I have a mic almost right next to the turbo lol. Otherwise the exhaust sounds deep. I've been meaning to record that.

I had OEM. Overheated on track when temps were about 85 ambient. On track temps were probably close to 100 if not over it. I just recently upgraded to the Verus Engineering Rad and haven't overheated it yet. That thing is a work of art and worth every penny with the R&D that when into it.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...mance-radiator

You could probably re-use your oil cooler, but you'll most likely have to lengthen your lines and move it over to the passenger side. (Not too familiar where it's normally located). I have an oil cooler and it sits right next to the intercooler on a slant to fit. So I'm sure if you cut some hose to a custom length you should be able to reuse your core.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #1087
mistople

Quote:
I have a mic almost right next to the turbo lol. Otherwise the exhaust sounds deep. I've been meaning to record that.

I figured! I saw that you're running the 3" Perrin, so I was trying to figure out why it sounded so different than my 2.5. Is the JDL kit you got a UEL version?

Quote:

I had OEM. Overheated on track when temps were about 85 ambient. On track temps were probably close to 100 if not over it. I just recently upgraded to the Verus Engineering Rad and haven't overheated it yet. That thing is a work of art and worth every penny with the R&D that when into it.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...mance-radiator

You could probably re-use your oil cooler, but you'll most likely have to lengthen your lines and move it over to the passenger side. (Not too familiar where it's normally located). I have an oil cooler and it sits right next to the intercooler on a slant to fit. So I'm sure if you cut some hose to a custom length you should be able to reuse your core.
Verus makes awesome stuff. I want that + every aero bit they offer!

The JR unit sits smack in the middle of the radiator. Given how long it is, I doubt it would work. I know Blitz makes a nice one that I've seen work with this kit.

In any case, I'm super jealous of your setup. However, it sounds like you're a more experienced mechanic than me, so its probably a bit more intimidating for me in that respect. I'd be so worried of blowing it up on track and not being able to drive the thing home.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #1088
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
I figured! I saw that you're running the 3" Perrin, so I was trying to figure out why it sounded so different than my 2.5. Is the JDL kit you got a UEL version?

Verus makes awesome stuff. I want that + every aero bit they offer!

The JR unit sits smack in the middle of the radiator. Given how long it is, I doubt it would work. I know Blitz makes a nice one that I've seen work with this kit.

In any case, I'm super jealous of your setup. However, it sounds like you're a more experienced mechanic than me, so its probably a bit more intimidating for me in that respect. I'd be so worried of blowing it up on track and not being able to drive the thing home.
Actually I need to update that. I have a dezod 3inch catback now. I got rid of my Perrin because I personally didn't like the sound of it. Also, it cut back down to 2.5inch after the muffler and I wanted a true 3inch all the way back.

Blitz makes a very nice one. There's another forum member on here that has one and it actually looks quite nice. If it's in the middle then you would just have to custom mount it and create longer hoses. I use custom length aeroquip -10an lines with mocal -10an fittings with a mishimoto 19row core.

By no means I'm a certified mechanic, but I do like tinkering with things myself and learning so to say the least I've installed everything to the car myself. Only thing I didn't touch was the tune.

To your last point of blowing up on track... Lol been there and done that. It REALLY sucks... It's the risk you take when you push the car with consequences attached. I couldn't drive my car for a whole year and had to put my car back together all last winter in my garage freezing my ass off. Just doing little things at a time and eventually got it finished for my first event in July. But that's the best part I think being able to just come back to it no matter what happens and stick with it.
mrloko (09-28-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #1089
mistople

Quote:
Actually I need to update that. I have a dezod 3inch catback now. I got rid of my Perrin because I personally didn't like the sound of it. Also, it cut back down to 2.5inch after the muffler and I wanted a true 3inch all the way back.
Even better. I've been thinking about switching from Perrin->Dezod as well. I don't see many owners with it. I think its one of the most interesting sounding catbacks out there. How much louder is your setup than a catless UEL + resonated perrin 2.5"? I have the JDL UEL, stock OP/FP, and 2.5" Perrin, and its a tad quiet even for me.

Quote:

To your last point of blowing up on track... Lol been there and done that. It REALLY sucks... It's the risk you take when you push the car with consequences attached. I couldn't drive my car for a whole year and had to put my car back together all last winter in my garage freezing my ass off. Just doing little things at a time and eventually got it finished for my first event in July. But that's the best part I think being able to just come back to it no matter what happens and stick with it.
I need to buy a truck and trailer when room/money allows. I'd feel so much better about the whole thing in that case. You make good points though. Even tracking my tuned NA car is a risk. Turbo just looks like so much fun..I'm not sure I can hold off on doing it next year.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #1090
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Little jelly not gonna lie I am going to need to live with E85 and NA
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #1091
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Even better. I've been thinking about switching from Perrin->Dezod as well. I don't see many owners with it. I think its one of the most interesting sounding catbacks out there. How much louder is your setup than a catless UEL + resonated perrin 2.5"? I have the JDL UEL, stock OP/FP, and 2.5" Perrin, and its a tad quiet even for me.

I need to buy a truck and trailer when room/money allows. I'd feel so much better about the whole thing in that case. You make good points though. Even tracking my tuned NA car is a risk. Turbo just looks like so much fun..I'm not sure I can hold off on doing it next year.
I would say it's most definitely louder. The stock front is what really keeps things quiet since it has a cat and a resonator. The beautiful thing about a turbo setup is that the turbo itself acts as muffler. Compared to your exhaust, I think you would enjoy as long as you don't do an open dump.

I will admit one thing, if there was one thing I wish I could do over again was track my car NA. I never did that, I just went full send and tracked it with Forced Induction. Kinda funny actually, had 0 track experience and took a boosted brz to the track. lol that was a fun learning experience, but now I'm just dialing things in just how I like them.
Trust86 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #1092
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
I thought the turbo would act more of a muffler than it does. Then again I’m 3” straight piped from turbo back. Literally 3” staraight pipe lmao. No mufflers, resonators, or cats. And a fuck ton of rasp still comes through unfortunately lol
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote