follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List
Racecomp Engineering

Old 07-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #113
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRichZC6 View Post
I have AST 5200 dampers with 5/9 kg/mm springs, and I'm comparing Bridgestone RE71R and GT Radial SX2, both 245/40R17 on a 17x9 wheel at 35 psi, to stock Michelin Primacy on a 17x7.5 wheel at 35 psi.

Besides a difference in ride, I can push the parked car and see it jiggle on the stock tires... Almost like pushing a Jeep! I can't do the same when the RE71R or SX2 are on.
With spring rates being about twice that of stock, your observations make sense. I can see myself going the same direction.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:51 AM   #114
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
With spring rates being about twice that of stock, your observations make sense. I can see myself going the same direction.
Ricer
Ultramaroon (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #115
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ricer
K
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #116
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
At 5'3 175lbs I am boarder line obese according to BMI

Look the part, don't I?

I've ridden in a PP equipped car, I didn't think it was that much firmer
I can see your rolls from here dude, lay off the burgers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #117
Tcoat

Quote:
K
LOL
That was a subtle reference to a certain member here that feels if you do anything he wouldn't do you are a "ricer". My car is on RSR Super Down springs for all show and no go making me an ultraricer in his eyes.
Aipex8 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #118
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL
That was a subtle reference to a certain member here that feels if you do anything he wouldn't do you are a "ricer". My car is on RSR Super Down springs for all show and no go making me an ultraricer in his eyes.
From what it sounds like "anything he wouldn't do" is just about everything. Lol

For the most part, I'm okay with people doing whatever they like to their cars, whether or not I think it's in poor taste (I just won't talk to you). It just bothers me when people try to talk down to others about things they don't understand.

According to another one of his posts, my car is basically 80% ricer.
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #119
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
At 5'3 175lbs I am boarder line obese according to BMI

Look the part, don't I?

I've ridden in a PP equipped car, I didn't think it was that much firmer
Hard to see from a distance..... I'm 5'7", 165, and a weightlifter, and am considered slightly "overweight". So yeah, you have a lot more padding than either my wife or me. That said, we could probably feel the difference a bit more than you. I've solved the problem for my wife by getting a gel pad for the seat and that does help a lot -- even in a non-PP car. The only problem with the pad is that it disables the air bags. I am testing solutions for that issue and think I have come across one that might work. If it does, I'll post it.

Listen, some people are going to be more sensitive than others. Psychologically, it also has to do with perceptions. If you want to feel like you are driving in a race car, you might even like feeling all of the bumps on the road. There is nothing wrong with that. Age is also an issue as the older you are, the more you feel the bumps. But factually, the PP version is "firmer" and going even firmer than that is out of the question for us.

I've had a number of people ride in my 18 BRZ non-PP so far. None of them own sports cars -- they all own SUV's. They all think the car rides acceptably but VERY firm. I expect that most people here accept, and even want, a firmer ride than most people. I even like the firmer ride more than my SUV -- but it is less comfortable. Again, if your ride meets your psychological expectations, that is all that is important.... For us, the PP version was too firm.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #120
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Hard to see from a distance..... I'm 5'7", 165, and a weightlifter, and am considered slightly "overweight". So yeah, you have a lot more padding than either my wife or me. That said, we could probably feel the difference a bit more than you. I've solved the problem for my wife by getting a gel pad for the seat and that does help a lot -- even in a non-PP car. The only problem with the pad is that it disables the air bags. I am testing solutions for that issue and think I have come across one that might work. If it does, I'll post it.

Listen, some people are going to be more sensitive than others. Psychologically, it also has to do with perceptions. If you want to feel like you are driving in a race car, you might even like feeling all of the bumps on the road. There is nothing wrong with that. Age is also an issue as the older you are, the more you feel the bumps. But factually, the PP version is "firmer" and going even firmer than that is out of the question for us.

I've had a number of people ride in my 18 BRZ non-PP so far. None of them own sports cars -- they all own SUV's. They all think the car rides acceptably but VERY firm. I expect that most people here accept, and even want, a firmer ride than most people. I even like the firmer ride more than my SUV -- but it is less comfortable. Again, if your ride meets your psychological expectations, that is all that is important.... For us, the PP version was too firm.
Why is it that you are so quick to write other people's experience off as psychological but yours are always certainly bound by this divine ability to see things objectively?
Jordanwolf (07-17-2018), wparsons (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #121
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ricer
Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #122
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ultramaroon (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #123
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
OP you should see my bitch tits/moobs bounce over some bumps with my insanely stiff coilovers. It's literally painful and makes me feel like I need to be driving around while wearing a bro/manzier.

I'm 6'1" 186lbs, so fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #124
Aipex8

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
From what it sounds like "anything he wouldn't do" is just about everything. Lol

For the most part, I'm okay with people doing whatever they like to their cars, whether or not I think it's in poor taste (I just won't talk to you). It just bothers me when people try to talk down to others about things they don't understand.

According to another one of his posts, my car is basically 80% ricer.
Not only are we all ricers, but we are all lying to ourselves that we like they way our cars feel modded. Deep inside you hate your car every time you drive it and wish it was stock.
Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #125
BasementN3k0
The Angry Brown Guy

Drives: 2016 Tacoma & 2018 86 GT Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post

How to sum up the op
BasementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BasementN3k0 For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #126
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Why is it that you are so quick to write other people's experience off as psychological but yours are always certainly bound by this divine ability to see things objectively?
Because he's not meant for the internet. He legit thinks everything is a personal attack, then goes and says dumbass shit like "severe understeer" like he's racing on normal streets, lol.

Gets feedback, takes it personal, decides to write stories on forum about Porsche and wife that not one person gives any fucks about.

feelsbadman
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
BasementN3k0 (07-18-2018)