follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #9521
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Two more PM's sent out today. Skipped two, one already has a phantom @KoolBRZ and one is boosted by Kraftwerks @JoonPrime (hope everything is great with your current boost).

Cheers all,
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (09-28-2015), zc06_kisstherain (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #9522
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Two PM's were sent out yesterday. We will move down the list after the weekend if there are no responses.

Rev 3 kit has had some updates, mostly with ease of installation and compatibility additions for Procede:

I want to applaud @Shiv@Openflash, the procede hits all the marks when it comes to boosting our platform with a ESC. After using it for 2 weeks it is simply the best addition anyone could add to the ESC. I have been using the sport map and it is truly awesome. Sure it takes a bit of getting use to but once your brain readjusts to the new power it cannot be beat. Merging in with traffic in 4th or 5th gear is awesome, you squeeze the throttle and dial in the power effortlessly. Gone is the "too much / not enough" feeling that boosting in lower RPM ranges could bring out with the WOT switch. I have had 5 friends drive my car (they own a STI, WRX, GTI, 135i and 370z). They all loved how the power came on, no lag, no drama just smooth boost.

I urge everyone that hasnt given the procede a try to try and fit it into the mod budget, it really is great.

With that being said, almost all users of the part throttle switch have migrated to the procede and loved it. Rob is going to suggest that if a user wants the advanced partial throttle boost that they go the procede route. If the user really doesn't want the procede they can go with the standard WOT switch(at reduced cost) or the partial throttle switch(at normal cost).

The V3 kit has connections on the control box for both Procede and Throttle switch, no more need to splice into your existing connection to add the procede for ESC control. This kit also has updates to the Voltmeter(slimer) and the motor to controller connections are the biggest yet.

Thanks for the kind words Fenton. We should soon be releasing a firmware update to the Procede which will allow both generations of Procedes to use the same map files

shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-28-2015), fenton (09-28-2015), Gums (09-30-2015), iJeff (09-28-2015), LucidMomentum (09-28-2015), raven1231 (10-14-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #9523
bikecarbfred

Drives: VW POLO 1.4 16v
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I don't hear much talk about changing pistons to lower compression when adding the phantom electrical supercharger.

Is it because the boost tapers off at top end rpm's therefore low compression for safety zone is not required?
bikecarbfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:48 AM   #9524
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Progress on an economical Low-End Torque tune

I've been trying to achieve the best MPG I can, while getting the best power in all RPM ranges. To get a feel for how much fuel my car is using at any one time, I've been using my OFT to watch my Engine Load. I've found that anything over .6 load is uneconomical. So, I've been trying to optimize power below .6 load. All this time I've been wondering whether the ECU does it's averaging of cells vertically by RPM, or Horizontally by Engine Load. That gave me the idea to add more degrees of retard to the cells between .7 and 1.4 Load, and 1000 to 2000 RPM's that currently have zero's in them on the OFT OTS Phantom tune. My experiment worked! I got more acceleration with a lower Engine Load. More work and open road tuning followed leading up to the tune shown below that I have yet to test. I've taken pics of the stock OTS tune and my newest, untested tune and circled the area I'm working on. For any fearless drivers out there, I will soon have even better tunes for you to try out.
Attached Images

KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Gums (09-30-2015), LucidMomentum (09-29-2015), Shinobu's Smile (09-29-2015), Sojhinn (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #9525
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecarbfred View Post
Hi, I don't hear much talk about changing pistons to lower compression when adding the phantom electrical supercharger.

Is it because the boost tapers off at top end rpm's therefore low compression for safety zone is not required?
YOu are right, since we are only running 2-3psi at the top end we do not need to even think about lowering compression.

The reason we are able to extract so much performance out of 2-3psi is because of the high compression. With Shiv's tunes on OFT we are completely in the safety zone for street driving. This setup is not recommended for track duty.

Most stock cars pull low 170's and boosted by only 2psi we are able to push WHP to about 210-220 depending on the quality of gas used.

That being said we are nearly at the limits of what can be done without a intercooler of some sort if boost were to be raised. Right now we are at the sweet spot of price to performance for Electrically boosted application. If Rob were to add more boost(more AMPs/Watts) the cost of the kit would be more expensive than a traditional turbo or SC.

Currently the Phantom fills a nice big gap between bolt on mods and entry level super/turbo's. Although the whp gains are certainly decent(nobody can argue with another 35 to 45hp) the biggest gains the ESC provides is a massive wtq bump in the dip(most see 70wtq or more gain).
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #9526
bikecarbfred

Drives: VW POLO 1.4 16v
@ fenton. Just for info can I ask what compression you run at?

Second question: Also if worried about high compression when boosting. Better to overfuel and run slightly richer ?

Last edited by bikecarbfred; 09-29-2015 at 02:41 PM.
bikecarbfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #9527
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecarbfred View Post
@ fenton. Just for info can I ask what compression you run at?

Second question: Also if worried about high compression when boosting. Better to overfuel and run slightly richer ?
The FT86 is 12.5:1 compression ratio.

Shiv has it tuned so that it is safe for us to run this boost at that compression ratio.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:33 AM   #9528
Kpage

Drives: 2015 FRS Release Series 1.0
new to the forum

1) cost is on the first post. It changes as the kit has been modified.

I understand but where are we with the mods, V3 tq300? i'm not arguing with the price just trying to budget

2) not sure. Is there a different intake on the rs?
no the intake is the stock intake (with a TRD air filter)

3) procedes are almost always in stock so just wait until your name comes up for the phantom. (1.3 years)
Which proceed are we dealing with the 495 module or the 800 dollar tuner with the 400$ module

4) no worries

I love the solution and don't want to push the car past it's design point this seems like the perfect solution.

KP.
Kpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #9529
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpage View Post
1) cost is on the first post. It changes as the kit has been modified.

I understand but where are we with the mods, V3 tq300? i'm not arguing with the price just trying to budget

2) not sure. Is there a different intake on the rs?
no the intake is the stock intake (with a TRD air filter)

3) procedes are almost always in stock so just wait until your name comes up for the phantom. (1.3 years)
Which proceed are we dealing with the 495 module or the 800 dollar tuner with the 400$ module

4) no worries

I love the solution and don't want to push the car past it's design point this seems like the perfect solution.

KP.

So far the cost of the kit hasn't really gone up or down, so you can budget for that to stay the same. Throw in the $500 procede and that's pretty much all you need. I'd say with the procede you don't really need the AUX charger.

You don't need the $800 tuner one, just the GT86 Procede from openflash:

http://www.openflashtablet.com/Autom...des/index.html
Old 09-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #9530
fenton

Two more PM's sent out today, flying down the list now! @zc06kisstherain Only two away now

As far as the price goes. It has changed slightly as Rob has modified/altered the kit. Depending on the activation method you choose you can save up to 100 bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (10-02-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #9531
Kpage

Drives: 2015 FRS Release Series 1.0
Updated List

Fenton is there an updated list somewhere? I am going to put my name on it, but want to be sure funds are in place before doing so, especially if things are starting to move now.

thanks!
Kpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #9532
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello All!,, I am new to the forum and new to the FRS (having just purchased a '15 FRS RS 1.0. I have been following this thread for a while and have read almost all 433 pages. I know there is quite a long list of buyers at this point and wanted to get a couple clarifications before adding my name to the list.

1. total cost (not including the batteries) out the door. I would like a total budget cost on the ESC (tq250 or tq300) and proceed tuner as this seems to be the top combination.
2. has anyone added this to the RS1.0 yet? any possible glitches that you are aware of?
3. being that the two components above come from different shops and the ESC has a known wait list, how long does it take to get a proceed tuner. don't want to order until I know the ESC is ready and Vice Versa.
4. I want to thank all of the members for all the feedback its helped a lot.

Thanks in advance!
1. Currently shipping kit is "V3" with some upgrades on the controller but still the same tq250 turbine:
MUST HAVES:
* The main kit ($1850 USD + shipping, verify on the 1st page in case of any changes)
* Replacement batteries (varies based on cost of recommended batts at time of purchase. (I paid $256 shipped for my set of 3))
* A Tuner kit (~$500 + shipping for the OFT, unless you already have a Tuner kit)
OPTIONAL
* Procede ($459 + shipping)
* AUX Charger (Actually don't know how much it costs, it's not advertised on the 1st page but is an optional add-on to recharge the ESC batts faster.). I don't have it and really don't feel I need it, the batts recharge plenty fast as-is.

NOTE: If you don't already have the OFT and can get it with the Procede for $800, then that's a damned good combo price!

2. The intake is the only concern, if it is indeed stock with just a TRD filter, then you are golden.

3. Wait until you get notification that your turn on the list is coming up "soon". At that point you're still at least a few weeks out so order the OFT and Procede at that time.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #9533
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Fenton is there an updated list somewhere? I am going to put my name on it, but want to be sure funds are in place before doing so, especially if things are starting to move now.

thanks!
Most recent list is here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=9471
Old 09-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #9534
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Two more PM's sent out today, flying down the list now! @zc06kisstherain Only two away now

As far as the price goes. It has changed slightly as Rob has modified/altered the kit. Depending on the activation method you choose you can save up to 100 bucks.
Finally!!! waiting for year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
1. Currently shipping kit is "V3" with some upgrades on the controller but still the same tq250 turbine:
MUST HAVES:
* The main kit ($1850 USD + shipping, verify on the 1st page in case of any changes)
* Replacement batteries (varies based on cost of recommended batts at time of purchase. (I paid $256 shipped for my set of 3))
* A Tuner kit (~$500 + shipping for the OFT, unless you already have a Tuner kit)
OPTIONAL
* Procede ($459 + shipping)
* AUX Charger (Actually don't know how much it costs, it's not advertised on the 1st page but is an optional add-on to recharge the ESC batts faster.). I don't have it and really don't feel I need it, the batts recharge plenty fast as-is.

NOTE: If you don't already have the OFT and can get it with the Procede for $800, then that's a damned good combo price!

2. The intake is the only concern, if it is indeed stock with just a TRD filter, then you are golden.

3. Wait until you get notification that your turn on the list is coming up "soon". At that point you're still at least a few weeks out so order the OFT and Procede at that time.
this helps me to choose some options. i probably just go with standard without AUX charger. maybe upgrading with Procede later
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (10-14-2015)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive