follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
jliongh

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We are going back to preparation and have a look underneath the boot, where we removed the boot lock plastic cover.

There is a reverse cable (positive) that we will have to tap into.

At start of thread the video link "Tail as Turn™ + Backup LED Module for Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ" by Diode Dynamics also shows which wire to tap into. Their car is FRS. Mine is a right-hand drive Australian market, Toyota GTS 86. The other video by SLOPOK's BRZ, mentioned and pointed at the same place.

Luck have it that cable colour looks similar plus in the same lead position; cable is arranged so looking down the top of the plug as shown, the blue-greenish cable, the one towards the back of the car is the one I tapped into; yellow eclipse.
You may do your own test
If you have the:
  • know-how to read wiring diagram and the skill to trace the cables or
  • garget such as a "circuit tester pen" to test the cable or its pin
when you put the car into reverse and the cable shows positive current, that may further boost your confidence the lead to tap into.
But for me it was a risk I took ... gamble, assuming the reverse positive lead goes into that male connector at the same pin position.

This seems to be the case for the
  • Diode Dynamics FRS
  • Australian Toyota GTS 86 (we may assume Australian GT 86 likely to be the same as well)
  • likely also for the SLOPOK's his BRZ
We may make a gamble for the Australian BRZ... and the rest of BRZ/FRS/86 but obviously this is a risk no matter how small the possibility that they may be different.
If somehow your lead and pin position is different from ours, so made a mistake. Solution:
  • You can remove the "cable power take off (scotch lock)" and repair your cable! Because with one scotch lock it is already incredibly tight. You can't possibly snug another in without releasing the tension.
  • You can cut the external tape wrapper (mine is black) down further so release the tension and you can then ... horribly pick your next wire to tap into (which still will work in the end).
Nonetheless I dare say upto current 2015 model BRZ/FRS/86, the cable to tap into its position/placement relative to the male connector head is likely the same and will work.

Disclaimer: Please do your own research, study and make your own decision. Your car, year, model and market location may be different to mine so if you choose to proceed you do so at your own risk, I can not be held responsible as to why your car is different from mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 08-02-2016 at 11:47 PM.
jliongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
jliongh

Make a special joined cables of 2 unequal length and 3 connectors

Measure & cut the lines
We measure from the place for tapping the reverse cable to the tail-light compartment, make sure you give the new cables enough slack so there is no stress, you may trace the OEM lines from below the boot mat as it goes up towards the compartment again add plenty of slack as you may be working on the lines or tucking it away in a way that you may not have thought of initially.

Since the reverse cable plug is not located in the centre but towards the back left tail-light compartment, that cable is going to be shorter than the cable going to the right tail-light compartment.
  • First group of photos shows the final product.
  • Second group of photos shows each of the cable ends have been crimped using the female spade terminals; these are going to be connected to the 7443 female socket which host the switchback LED, it have male spade terminal legs.
  • Third group of photos; have the ends of the cables rolled together and merged to become one conductor
  • Last group of photos; next that one conductor is crimped with a red sleeved female spade terminal (not 2.8mm) provided with the "cable power take off (scotch lock)". We are ready for Procedure 2.
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 08-03-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 AM   #17
jliongh

Procedure 2

Your mod. is about to be completed. Our final work is to tap into the reverse cable with the "cable power take off (scotch lock)".

Caution: You are drawing more power out of the reverse circuit. Use only LED switchback on the signal socket together with the LED for the reverse light in the original lower reverse light compartment; do NOT use any incandescent "reverse" globe in this system! The same caution was given in the "Tail as Turn™ + Backup LED Module for Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ" video by Diode Dynamics. It is ok to use OEM 7440 amber globe as it will Not draw power when car is reversing.

The photos are self-explanatory. Since we have only 1 leg of the 7443 female socket left, connect your special cable to that final conductor, one to each tail-light compartment as you had measure and cut them.

Advice: use the "combination plier" to crimp the scotch lock, so make sure its contact is firm and the external plastic coupling is real tight.

The final test is to see if the reverse light works on the switchback and if the indicator still works after the connection... just to make sure
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 08-05-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #18
jliongh

Mod completed

Items cost:
2x 7443 sockets = AU$3.11
2x 7440 male wiring harness retrofit = US$6.99
100x copper 2.8mm female spade crimp terminals 22~16AWG 0.5mm connector = AU$2.79
100x 2.8mm male spade red crimp terminals = AU$4.95
10x cable power take off (scotch lock) red = US$1.29
10m 22AWG red wires = AU$4.79

7 Die Quick Change Ratchet Crimper & kit = AU$120
(Not counting the crimper if you have it)

2x reverse signal switchback LED White/Amber 7443 (22x 5730 SMD, half amber and half white) = AU$12.22
Unfortunately the amber turn signal is Not bright enough during day time, they are not as bright as the OEM incandescent. Therefore I may go into what I have researched but not as yet tested.
Overall this mod could be cheap or expensive depending on what you have.

Congratulation for those who implement this modification, you will have the brightess reverse light ever for the 86/FRS/BRZ ! Bad luck for the newer version of our car from 2017 onward, their tail lights are LED including signal but at present they do Not seem to have a place to add a bright reverse light ; if you happen to buy the newer car model and wish to have a bright reverse LED, the valid eventhough seemingly crazy suggestion is to change your tail light to the older model tail light and implement this modification! IMHO our tail light with the round break light looks very good, I don't think you will lose out on look at all plus an incredible bright reverse light to boot!

Hey IMHO you will one day make other upperty 86 owners envious when you unintentionally went reversing, the brightness! And there show off your bright reverse light and when they figure it out... they will think what about their expensive LED tail light, how it compare to your simpleton down-to-earth OEM old tail light... Not as useful in the dark when reversing, ah sorry that is beauty without overall fundamental (reverse) use; in your case your tail lights are still the 86 beauty yet hidden with an exemptional talent & purpose!
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 08-26-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #19
jliongh

Switchback 7443 socket (amber/white)

If you just want a brightest switchback without trouble and money is not much of an issue, I recommend you buy it off reputable sellers.

At present, I did a quick search and found http://www.saving-star.com/smd-led-comparison/
Looking at its SMD chart (assuming trustworthy)

With my layman understanding, a few possibility:
  • 4014 SMD, gives the most lumen per mA.
  • 3030 SMD - gives one of the most lumen with 150mA supply.
  • 2835(c) SMD - MUST be (c) because there is also (a) & (b) which is Not so good according to the chart. However I found the seller do NOT indicate which 2835 you are buying, if it is for me I will stay away unless I have definate prove it is very bright.
I happen to buy a very bright amber front LED (7440 socket) much brighter than OEM incandescent, it uses 3535 amber SMD; total price = AU$33.94 (from ebay Hong Kong seller, China)

• Below first group of photos of my current switchback (22x 5730-SMD) total price = AU$12.22 amber light too dim during daylight, at night I still wish the white reverse light to be brighter!
  • Second group of photos, so I bought another pair of switchback 54x 4014-SMD total price = AU$46.89; while it is on its way, I hope this will be as bright as my front amber LED & the same for the white reverse light. (from ebay US seller)
Cost adds up, so hope these information will help you decide your LED and switchback.
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 08-26-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #20
jliongh

54x 4140 SMD switchback arrived and installed

Summary of finding of this switchback
The signal light is much brigter than the OEM incandescent globe, it is bright even in day time however the colour is like wash out yellow, Not orange or amber like the OEM.

The reverse light is brighter than my previous purchase. Reversing the car when the environment is very dark, I can now see the back objects clearly when I look back over my shoulders; I bought enough switchback so I guess I have to be satisfy for now; until I have a deeper pocket and I can make sure the next switchback LED I purchase has deep amber colour and also is bright!

Overall from my LED purchase experience I find it is hard to pick a LED that is deep orange or amber like the OEM globe, unless the LED is coloured very deep orange and we can actually see, test and compare it on site. It could be the strong colouring will affect the LED luminescence?... whatever the reason the manufacturer of this LED didn't coloured it deep

One of my other amber LED came close but I still think the OEM incandescent gives a better golden amber colour. So IMHO at present I don't think LED can match incandescent colours, but perhaps the OLED or AMOLED (like on mobile phone, e.g. Samsung) one day can?
Photos
  • 1st group of photos: "22x 5730 SMD switchback" vs "54x 4140 SMD switchback"
  • 2nd group of photos: right photo shows "54x 4140 SMD switchback" is much brighter vs the other switchback hard to see from photo but it is a washout yellow, the other switchback actually is nice amber colour; I think the brightness affect and distorted the photo outcome.
  • 3rd group of photos: "54x 4140 SMD switchback" legs are wired differently, it was hard but I finally figure it out and so I was forced to switch the connecting lines, notice I swapped the white and red cable on the "7440 male wiring harness" to make this switchback work. Reverse light is bright.
  • 4th group of photos: Car in reverse mode and also signalling, the signal shows up when reversing, "reverse light--amber on--reverse light--amber on--reverse light".
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 08-19-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #21
jliongh

Disclaimer: I am only sharing what I have done, I am not responsible for any damage or injury associated with releasing these information and no harm is intended. If you attempt the modification, you do this knowing you are fully responsible for your own decision and its consequences.

Thank you for reading; this mod post is complete. Content may change due to correction or updates.

Last edited by jliongh; 09-04-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #22
jliongh

Someone private message me concerning my front signal LED which I claim (above) to be brighter than OEM incandescent, the LED is Amber only and Not a switchback. So here is a short review:

Amber LED 7440 W21W T20 21x 3535-SMD CREE
Total price I bought AU$33.94 (from ebay Hong Kong seller, China)
Note I am not sure if the advertiser is truly selling CREE, indeed the LED is incredibly bright even in day time, it is definitely seem to me it is much brighter than the OEM incandescent!

The only drawback is the Amber/Orange colour is Not as golden as the OEM incandescent; I doubt if there is any LED colour is as good as an incandescent globe, from my experience LED just don't have as deep and good colour as incandescent; it is same as in LED TV or monitor comparing to older technology such as cathode ray tube TV and/or plastma TV; LED just don't have that good colour variety and scale of depth (black, grey, etc).

Nevertheless as I mentioned before OLED or AMOLED (like on mobile phone, e.g. Samsung) will match and give out incredible depth and colour, its colours are incredible, one day on our TV then I imagine OLED will come over to all other uses including OLED lights for our cars.
  • 1st group of photos show left OEM incandescent vs right 21x 3535-SMD LED
  • 2nd group of photos show 21x 3535-SMD LED different angle
  • 3rd group of photos show similarly
  • 4th photo shows its brightness on the car, note flash-light is used to reveal the surrounding yet its yellow light can still be seen on the ground.
Attached Images

Last edited by jliongh; 09-04-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Tags
brightness, mod, reverse led, switchback, tail light