follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
colganc

Drives: Silver
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S vs Cayman

Is the FR-S going to be close enough from a driving pleasure angle that the extra cost of a Cayman isn't worth it?

For me I can't find two other "normal" hard top cars less than 75k that are as focused on driving pleasure.

I plan on cross shopping these two come spring/summer.
colganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Srsly?
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Garage
The FR-S was supposedly bench marked with the cayman while the prototype was tested, but I wouldn't really compare the two in any other regards than handling. They're two complete different classes of cars.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
jonnyozero3

Drives: 4 wheels & some metal bits
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well, even if they are in two classes of cars, they are attracting more than one cross-shopper. My current shopping list to check out next year:

Porsche Cayman S,
Subaru BRZ,
Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Intended competitors or not...if subaru makes an "STi" BRZ, it's very possible that's what I'll choose. We'll see. Just wanted to chime in to point out I'm on the list of folks cross-shopping such cars...I think there may be more of us out there.
jonnyozero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post
Well, even if they are in two classes of cars, they are attracting more than one cross-shopper. My current shopping list to check out next year:

Porsche Cayman S,
Subaru BRZ,
Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Intended competitors or not...if subaru makes an "STi" BRZ, it's very possible that's what I'll choose. We'll see. Just wanted to chime in to point out I'm on the list of folks cross-shopping such cars...I think there may be more of us out there.
just because it states STi doesn't mean it will have a turbo attached to it

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
colganc

Yes, I'm seriously going to cross shop these two. I want a driver focused car, a fun to drive car. I cannot think of another car in the same arena except for an RX-8. Most cars have more than enough power for "fun" and more than enough power for safe and easy highway driving.

They don't compare price wise, power wise, or in amenities (although a base Cayman isn't very "luxurious") but they are close in thought. An Elise is close to a track day only car, a 370z more of a "grand tourer". I find the Cayman and 86 to be cars focused on driving pleasure. So is a Miata, but its a convertible with the attendent issues.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
DA1

Drives: Accord Euro
What MX5 issues

I don't get this constant picking about MX5 Mazdas,My boyfriend and i just
love our little car as we drive around the eastern suburbs of Sydney (Australia) .
DA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
3scapist
Argues nekkid

Drives: 08 E92 M3
I was looking into the Cayman S before I got my IS. I would have gotten one had I not needed a sedan more than a 2 seater. If you have the money, definitely buy the Cayman even if it is just the base model. Either one will destroy the BRZ/FR-S. Idk if you've read the reviews, but the handling characteristics of the Cayman rivals its big brother the 911. Porsche could have easily made it better than the 911 but then nobody would buy a 911 :p It's severely limited to what it can do which is good news to you because then you can build it up to your liking (if you're into that of course)

here's my friends S model with the Techart kit..god I love this thing, handles like a dream, my IS350 has more umpth though

3scapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1 View Post
love our little car as we drive around the eastern suburbs of Sydney (Australia) .
dont bring attention to miatas. its probably the last cheap car that idiots dont really get ahold of them and the prices dont randomly inflate like corollas or civics
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
colganc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1 View Post
I like the Miata. I don't want to have to worry about many autocross and DE sessions requiring a roll bar, I know that sounds dumb, but its one of my main hangups on convertibles. It has kept me from buying a used Boxster, Miata, or MR2.

@jonnyozerozero3
What gets you looking at the Boss vs the Cayman and BRZ?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
The FR-S was supposedly bench marked with the cayman while the prototype was tested, but I wouldn't really compare the two in any other regards than handling. They're two complete different classes of cars.
Subaru used a cayman for a Brz which then tickled down to the
86 which was running with a supra then it got to the Frs whoes according to reviews has diff suspension tuning. Give Subaru the credit for choosing to try and make a great car on par with cayman.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #12
colganc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3scapist View Post
I was looking into the Cayman S before I got my IS. I would have gotten one had I not needed a sedan more than a 2 seater. If you have the money, definitely buy the Cayman even if it is just the base model. Either one will destroy the BRZ/FR-S. Idk if you've read the reviews, but the handling characteristics of the Cayman rivals its big brother the 911. Porsche could have easily made it better than the 911 but then nobody would buy a 911 :p It's severely limited to what it can do which is good news to you because then you can build it up to your liking (if you're into that of course)

here's my friends S model with the Techart kit..god I love this thing, handles like a dream, my IS350 has more umpth though
Oddly enough a normal 911doesn't appeal much to me. A GT3? Yes please. Can't afford it and wouldn't want to drive it long distance (600+ miles).

I test drove a Cayman and was pretty happy with it. Shifting feel not as satisfying as I had hoped. Cable linked shifters kind of suck. I suspect that when I get to test drive a FR-S/BRZ I will be about as satisifed as the Cayman.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
Eldorian

Drives: 04 RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
dont bring attention to miatas. its probably the last cheap car that idiots dont really get ahold of them and the prices dont randomly inflate like corollas or civics
Luckily boy racers are insecure in their masculinity and the Miata is appealing enough to the female buyer that it scares away the ricer.

P.S. I loved mine, bought my current car for practicality, and am interested in the BRZ because I hope it captures some of the pure fun the Miata was.
Eldorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
Luckily boy racers are insecure in their masculinity and the Miata is appealing enough to the female buyer that it scares away the ricer.

P.S. I loved mine, bought my current car for practicality, and am interested in the BRZ because I hope it captures some of the pure fun the Miata was.
I don't think it's necessarily about being insecure. Some people despise the looks of the MX5 like me. If a MX5 had look more like a nicer Saturn Sky I would want one.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote