follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
huma

Drives: ITR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the brz/frs too expensive?

Initially, they wanted this vehicle to start out in the low 20's and that's what got a lot of people excited. 200 hp, rwd, toyobaru quality, good styling, sold! Instead they end up in the $25k to $30k range.

For what you get, I don't really think this car will be as popular as most of us think it will be. I think that by the end of the year, dealerships will be selling this vehicle under invoice...and that's probably when I might bite. What I really want is 240-260 hp, better suspension, aka sti version for low 30's and I'll bite. Otoh, for low to mid 30's...you can purchase a wrx sti that's bigger, faster, just not as fun to drive.

Basically, after the initial hype/demand, I think sales will stagger because toyobaru priced this vehicle too high. What do you guys think? Do you think they can sustain a high demand at this price?
huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I personally think its a alright price. Slightly steep on my side but it'll benefit me as not everyone can get it then.

It's also only expensive if the dealer's add a stupid amount of additional MSRP because they want to milk the car.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think for what you get it's a reasonable price.

Really reasonable in terms of Canadian pricing.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
You know what I think a big part of the problem is, people have become too jaded by platform sharing and its effects on vehicle costs. When an almost completely bespoke vehicle comes around - especially from an Asian manufacturer (who makes inexpensive cars in the public's eye), most people cannot fathom why it costs what it does.

OP: think about the R&D it took to get the car here, think about the R&D it's going to take to get the 'STI' version everyone seems to want, think about the marketing, Gov't safety regulations for homologation as a world car, and think about the other cars that share the BRZ/FR-S (I am lumping them in as the same car) with which Subaru and Toyota can spread the costs over - hint: there are none.

The car is reasonably priced.
kwood9000 (05-14-2012), NWIguy (05-14-2012), Sc0ob_do0D (05-14-2012), srizzors25 (05-12-2015), Stigasaur (01-26-2016), YukiHachiRoku (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Red View Post
You know what I think a big part of the problem is, people have become too jaded by platform sharing and its effects on vehicle costs. When an almost completely bespoke vehicle comes around - especially from an Asian manufacturer (who makes inexpensive cars in the public's eye), most people cannot fathom why it costs what it does.

OP: think about the R&D it took to get the car here, think about the R&D it's going to take to get the 'STI' version everyone seems to want, think about the marketing, Gov't safety regulations for homologation as a world car, and think about the other cars that share the BRZ/FR-S (I am lumping them in as the same car) with which Subaru and Toyota can spread the costs over - hint: there are none.

The car is reasonably priced.
One other thing people tend to forget: when Toyota/ Subaru announced this project back in 08, and said they were aiming for a sub- $20,000 price-tag, the world economy was still kinda clicking along alright. Fast forward to today, where the Japanese yen is solidly 25% stronger against the dollar, and that means prices on cars they export have to go up as well. Seems kinda counter-intuitive to most people, but Japan is not happy that the yen became so valuable, because they're an export driven economy, and a more valuable yen hurts their bottom line. It means they get fewer dollars in overseas sales for every yen spent making something. THAT'S the single biggest reason our price shot up $5k; they met their price goals just fine for the Japanese domestic market.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
kwood9000 (05-14-2012), Lighting Red (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Initially, they wanted this vehicle to start out in the low 20's and that's what got a lot of people excited. 200 hp, rwd, toyobaru quality, good styling, sold! Instead they end up in the $25k to $30k range.

For what you get, I don't really think this car will be as popular as most of us think it will be. I think that by the end of the year, dealerships will be selling this vehicle under invoice...and that's probably when I might bite. What I really want is 240-260 hp, better suspension, aka sti version for low 30's and I'll bite. Otoh, for low to mid 30's...you can purchase a wrx sti that's bigger, faster, just not as fun to drive.

Basically, after the initial hype/demand, I think sales will stagger because toyobaru priced this vehicle too high. What do you guys think? Do you think they can sustain a high demand at this price?
Search and you'll find lots of posts about this. For instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Rumor timeline:
  • 2007: $17-18k for 120 hp 1.5L RWD.
  • 2009: 2.0L RWD concept introduced with a target from "around $20k" to "low $20,000s". Power unknown (rumors put it at 157, 180, or 200 HP).
  • 2011: 200 HP 2.0L RWD starting at low $20,000s to $25k.
Given that the Si is $22k, there was no way a lighter, RWD, 200 HP FT86 was going to be less than $23k. Its starting price of $24k is only ~4% more than that.
IMO, the starting price is reasonable, especially given the yen's strength. But I won't be surprised if it's selling for invoice by the end of the year.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Back in 2008, the Yen was 105 Yen per American dollar. At $20k dollars, that's 2,100,000 yen. In 2012, there are only 80 Yen per American Dollar.

(20,000 Dollars) * (105 Yen/Dollar) = 2,100,000 Yen.

(2,100,000 Yen) / (80 Yen/Dollar) = 26,250 American Dollars.

So they met their price target of ~2,000,000 Yen. It's just that the American Dollar has dropped in the meantime. It's hard to blame Subaru and Toyota for that.

Just in case anyone wants to see the math.

Sources:
http://www.x-rates.com/cgi-bin/hlookup.cgi

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimlock For This Useful Post:
buzznasa (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
I wonder if Toyota/Subaru will even break even with this car after it's all said and done with 1st year fiscal reports?
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Additionally, when you compare it with the other cars that are considered competition (GTI, Gen Coupe, Mini, Miata, etc) the price is smack dab in the middle when it comes to similar options.

The price is exactly where they should have put it. I'm not sure what people were expecting. They brought to market a car unlike any other with handling characteristics similar to cars in the high 40s and higher. I just don't know why people think Toybaru should undercut everyone by $3K-$8K. Makes no sense.

I know they announced sub $20K years ago, but come on, do people really think car prices are unrelated to economic forces? Mind boggling.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Depends on your definition of expensive. For a sporty 200hp lightweight sport coupe I considered it cheap at the lower trim levels.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Additionally, when you compare it with the other cars that are considered competition (GTI, Gen Coupe, Mini, Miata, etc) the price is smack dab in the middle when it comes to similar options.

The price is exactly where they should have put it. I'm not sure what people were expecting. They brought to market a car unlike any other with handling characteristics similar to cars in the high 40s and higher. I just don't know why people think Toybaru should undercut everyone by $3K-$8K. Makes no sense.

I know they announced sub $20K years ago, but come on, do people really think car prices are unrelated to economic forces? Mind boggling.
People are inherently simple creatures, and will glom onto the first thing they hear. Many are also resistant to change so much so that they can become defiant even in the face of obvious evidence if it counters what they originally heard. It's incredible.

Folks: The BRZ is going to be either $25k and some change, or $28k and some change, depending on trim level, whether you like it or not. You either pay it, or you don't.

Just one piece of advice; [rant on] if the price of this car is such that you feel compelled to argue the cost things such as delivery and processing fee (though out of principle I understand this one...) because the car is out of reach otherwise, don't buy it. Don't get yourself in a hole over an "inexpensive" car you really can't afford. The financial system is designed to rape you. Don't walk around with your pants around your ankles and allow this industry to drive a BRZ shaped Trojan Horse right up your ass. You'd be paying for that mistake for a long, long time, and you won't even enjoy the car. [rant off]
Guff (05-14-2012), srizzors25 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I used to feel that because of the interior quality. However, there is NO price to be put on fun driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post