follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
MyGT86Yas

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My experience with 86Speed and Jackson Racing

I had been researching and looking for a supercharger kit for my 2017 86 in this summer. Around mid July I contacted 86 speed (Malen was the sale representative) and he answered all the questions I had about the Jackson Racing supercharger kit, very informative and responsive. He responded to my emails the same day almost every time. So on July 21 I paid 2,500 as a deposit for the supercharger kit and about a week later I paid full amount for the oil cooler. I was told that the whole kit would take 2-3 weeks to deliver because Jackson racing was still finalizing the tune for the 2017 model. But I was very satisfied with their sale service...until my deposit was sent for the kit.

Two weeks after I placed my order (August 3rd) I emailed Malen asking for an update and he responded "I will check up on this for you". I didn't get a response from him so I waited until August 7th and emailed him again, still no response. I waited two more days and email him again on August 9 and still no response. I got anxious and decided to give them a call on August 11th, one of their sale representatives Christian told me that he spoke with Jackson Racing the day before and the last update was they were waiting for the blower from Rotrex. On the same day Malen responded to my email and said the kit was ready but they still needed to finalize the tune. I was confused because two people from 86 speed were giving me different answers so I called them again. And Christian confirmed that NEITHER the kit nor the tune was ready. Then I asked how much longer would it take. They told me they should receive the whole kit from Jackson Racing on August 31st.

I waited until today although I suspected something went wrong again and they just did not care to let me know. I called them and the reason they gave me this time is the inter-cooler pipes were rubbing against the front bumper on the Jackson racing test vehicles. The pipes will need to be re-designed and re-manufactured. I asked them how long will it take and Malen said THEY DON't KNOW I got pissed and the conversation got heated up. He basically said it's all Jackson Racing's problems and there was nothing that they can do to help me. But my point is they never intend to keep me update on my order, and both time they said they would call me back they DID NOT CALL BACK. And then he said "if you can't wait we can just refund you your money". I was like F you you hold my money for a month and half and now you tell me to get my money back and F off? I got so mad and he sent the ball to Jackson Racing and told their sale director Chris to call me on settling this, and he said maybe Jackson racing would give me a discount because of the situation.

So Chris called and apologized for the delay. And he told me the supercharger kit for the 2017 model is not released yet I was like why 86 Speed told me the kit would be delivered before mid August. And he answered they "expected" to finalize the whole thing by that time but it didn't happen. Then I started questioning him about the tune, the blower, and inter-cooler pipes issues, he admitted that they found out the problem with the pipes fitment back in July but they didn't release the information to anyone. And they "expect" to get the pipes re-manufactured in 2-3 weeks this time So basically at the time I placed my order, they didn't have a blower in stock, they didn't have the tune ready, and they knew the inter-cooler pipes would not fit our cars, yet they told 86 Speed and me to expect to get the kit in 2-3 weeks.
I then asked Chris if they can give me a discount if I continue to wait. He offered me THEIR t-shirt as a compensation for all the delay

I'm sure a lot of you had good experience with them, but my experience was F'king terrible with them. Just here to share my experience as I decided to ask them to refund my money.
MyGT86Yas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Dude this is posted in wrong section. It should be in vendor feedback section. I've always had great service from 86 speed.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
MyGT86Yas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Dude this is posted in wrong section. It should be in vendor feedback section. I've always had great service from 86 speed.
Yea like I said I'm sure lot of you had great experience with them, and my situation is a bit complicated too as I have a newer model. But what makes me mad was they never intend to update me about my order, and their customer service changed 180 degree after the deposit was sent
Old 09-07-2017, 01:44 AM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGT86Yas View Post
Yea like I said I'm sure lot of you had great experience with them, and my situation is a bit complicated too as I have a newer model. But what makes me mad was they never intend to update me about my order, and their customer service changed 180 degree after the deposit was sent
At least your $$$ is being refunded. 👍
Read up in the Forced induction section.
Good luck on whichever SC you end up getting.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
MyGT86Yas

At first he said he didn't receive my emails at all, then he said he missed them, now he said he did not respond my emails because he didn't get response from Jackson racing. I mean how hard is it to respond with "I don't have an update now but will let you know when I hear back from them"
The Following User Says Thank You to MyGT86Yas For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not a great way of doing business. Before you sell a part or item ... you had better be sure you have it.

That said .... you were entitled to a refund (until) they get their shit together and they should have given you a discount on the SC when it was available.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
I've never dealt with 86speed, but I hate how they advertise free lug nuts with purchase of wheels, or $50 off without lug nuts. If you have to pay $50 more to get lug nuts they aren't free!
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Being that you live in CA, couldn't you have went to Jackson Racing directly?
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
MyGT86Yas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
Being that you live in CA, couldn't you have went to Jackson Racing directly?

You're right but CA sale tax...😶

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyGT86Yas For This Useful Post:
BRZyJ (09-07-2017), NyC Zn6 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I was like F you you hold my money for a month and half and now you tell me to get my money back and F off?
Lol wut?

86Speed is a parts distributor. They have no control over the R&D process of other companies. While I agree their communication in this situation wasn't best, I'd hardly say they told you to "F off". They didn't have a solution at that moment and weren't sure when they'd be able to provide you with the items you ordered. They offered a full refund.

Telling you to "F off" would be telling you to just wait it out and they'll let you know when they hear something, and not offer anything.

I mean, I'd probably offer something else for the inconvenience if I were them, but it's not like they're just sitting with a supercharger kit in their warehouse and laughing at your misfortune.
TylerLieberman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (09-08-2017), Tcoat (09-29-2017), why? (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
MyGT86Yas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Not a great way of doing business. Before you sell a part or item ... you had better be sure you have it.

That said .... you were entitled to a refund (until) they get their shit together and they should have given you a discount on the SC when it was available.

Now I think about it, they made a mess on my end. First, they told me they won't refund me until they get their money back from Jackson Racing which makes no sense to me. Also, I opened a new credit card specific for this purchase( mainly for the travel bonus points) and I've already paid off the credit card. So I will have to wait for Jackson racing to refund them, then they can refund the money to my credit cards, then my credit cards company will refund me the money? Sigh...😞

Old 09-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
MyGT86Yas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Lol wut?

86Speed is a parts distributor. They have no control over the R&D process of other companies. While I agree their communication in this situation wasn't best, I'd hardly say they told you to "F off". They didn't have a solution at that moment and weren't sure when they'd be able to provide you with the items you ordered. They offered a full refund.

Telling you to "F off" would be telling you to just wait it out and they'll let you know when they hear something, and not offer anything.

I mean, I'd probably offer something else for the inconvenience if I were them, but it's not like they're just sitting with a supercharger kit in their warehouse and laughing at your misfortune.

I was told by Malen that Jackson racing is finalizing the tune back on July 21st and the kit will be delivered in 2-3 weeks. This is the information 86 speed gave me when I placed my order. Maybe they did not have the information from Jackson racing about the fitment issue and the extra wait time for the blower, I don't know but it's definitely their fault to give out a wrong estimated time that's not even close to the actually delivery time, like more than a month delay. Also, they did not mention the kit itself (not the tune) was still under development, like isn't fitment check the very first step of the development process?

Instead of having the kit in their warehouse laughing at me, they have my money in hands for a month and half and they didn't provide any update of my order. Now they told me I can either continue to wait (and they told me another 2-3 weeks but no guarantee) or I can get a refund. If I put the money in stock market or saving account, I can at least get some interest from it, or I can spend my money on other things. Now can you understand what I meant? It's economics.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I was told by Malen that Jackson racing is finalizing the tune back on July 21st and the kit will be delivered in 2-3 weeks. This is the information 86 speed gave me when I placed my order.
That might be the info that JR gave them. If it is, it's not really their fault that it was behind schedule. The lack of/poor communication is, but they can't control R&D times of another companies product.

Quote:
Now can you understand what I meant? It's economics.
I understood from the getgo. I just think your "they told me to F off" statement was retarded.
TylerLieberman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
MyGT86Yas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
That might be the info that JR gave them. If it is, it's not really their fault that it was behind schedule. The lack of/poor communication is, but they can't control R&D times of another companies product.

I understood from the getgo. I just think your "they told me to F off" statement was retarded.

I agree they can't control the schedule, but they should have told me that the kit is still under development and will potentially take longer to deliver, right?
Maybe I phrased it wrong, but thats how I felt when he said it to me with his attitude.