follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #85
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
now with these springs installed and also if you have aftermarket wheels would you be voiding the warranty since you have aftermarket wheels? i mean i guess if anything happened i could always swap out and put on my winter wheels that have winter tires with stock wheels ... anyone know if this price of 210 is legit ? i wonder what the installation cost would be
That makes no sense at all! What if my stockers are bald from drifting and burn outs? Pretty much after I get aftermarket wheels that's all they'd probably be good for really.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #86
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu0u View Post
That makes no sense at all! What if my stockers are bald from drifting and burn outs? Pretty much after I get aftermarket wheels that's all they'd probably be good for really.
im saying will the springs still have warranty if installed while aftermarket wheels are on ... i use my stock wheels for the winter my aftermarket wheels are larger with different offset etc
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #87
sousuke86

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ewwwwwwwwww. Progressive springs.
sousuke86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #88
Evil Jesus

Drives: '13 FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
You have to be delusional to buy these things. Seriously with the amount of detritus on the roads, construction issues, poorly designed driveways and culverts, the existing 4.9 inches is hardly enough. Lowering springs on the FR-S is equivalent to wearing flip flops in a crack house.
It's not even just the front end that I'd be scared about, but the rear diff. That thing hangs sooooo low.
Evil Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #89
xbladex0

Drives: no cars :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
noob question... does the TRD springs which lower the fr-s height, effect the handling? I know from playing forza's tuning setup, that lowering the front springs gives an increase in oversteer, and the lowering the rear increases understeer.
xbladex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #90
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,260 Times in 2,966 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
noob question... does the TRD springs which lower the fr-s height, effect the handling? I know from playing forza's tuning setup, that lowering the front springs gives an increase in oversteer, and the lowering the rear increases understeer.
That's true if all else is equal i.e. in forza, but if you lower the front too much on OEM struts and are now using the bumpstops more then you will increase understeer (possibly with some snap oversteer).

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
xbladex0 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #91
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
You have to be delusional to buy these things. Seriously with the amount of detritus on the roads, construction issues, poorly designed driveways and culverts, the existing 4.9 inches is hardly enough. Lowering springs on the FR-S is equivalent to wearing flip flops in a crack house.
Negro please,

The frs stock isn't exactly a low car when compared to whats out there modified, hell my forester is lower, and it isn't even close to actually "slammed".

An inch or less off stock 5" ride height is plenty manageable. If it really concerns you learn how to approach questionable areas from an angle.

My first car (long time ago) was a beat dodge daytona, that goddamn thing bone stock you could take out the oil pan on a speedbump if you didn't watch out.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #92
hyperpunx

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
hmm...

I called two toyota dealerships for the sway bar, and they told me to call TRD. TRD said they dont even know that the sway bar exists...

too new?

hyperpunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #93
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Is it true that coilovers are generally stiffer (even at their softest setting if damping is adjustable) than a spring/strut combo?
Is it true that coilovers wear out faster (they are generally smaller) than correctly matched springs/struts?

The only advantage I see with coilovers is if you need adjustability to slam/stance your car and/or stiffness for track use.
Got proof?
Yes I live in socal and I interact with variety of different aftermarket company. TRD usa hasn't made there own stuff in a while. Just like trd intake are made by aem, trd exhaust is made by borla or is it magnaflow I remember it American base company though. You will be surprise where a lot of things are made especially if you are in southern California.
Pekingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #94
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
im lowered around 4 inches and i have no problem driving. If my car can go though I-95 (GWB) slammed then there is no excuse!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #95
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekingduck View Post
Yes I live in socal and I interact with variety of different aftermarket company. TRD usa hasn't made there own stuff in a while. Just like trd intake are made by aem, trd exhaust is made by borla or is it magnaflow I remember it American base company though. You will be surprise where a lot of things are made especially if you are in southern California.
Ok, but who is your source? I grew up in and spent most of my life in SoCal and also used to work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing. Also have a friend working for Toyota's Parts Distribution Center. I've heard Eibach made TRD's springs but never saw proof. I owned TRD USA springs for the 7th gen Celica and never saw Eibach branded on it. But that was a long time ago in the early 2000s and ODMs change all the time.

The proof I ask for would be, for instance, MkII MR2 TRD shocks were Bilsteins because we could see "Bilstein" stamped on the shock. Same for JDM MkII MR2 stock shocks but with softer valving. I don't think USDM stock shocks were branded but people could speculate they were Bilsteins. That would be an assumption because there was no proof like on the TRD or JDM stock shocks.

So do you have proof to show or have seen proof like a document or brand stamping to back it or was it just passed by word of mouth? If word of mouth, who is your source? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this because for 10 years, I've only heard TRD springs = Eibach with no concrete evidence.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #96
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I want those springs!
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #97
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Ok, but who is your source? I grew up in and spent most of my life in SoCal and also used to work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing. Also have a friend working for Toyota's Parts Distribution Center. I've heard Eibach made TRD's springs but never saw proof. I owned TRD USA springs for the 7th gen Celica and never saw Eibach branded on it. But that was a long time ago in the early 2000s and ODMs change all the time.

The proof I ask for would be, for instance, MkII MR2 TRD shocks were Bilsteins because we could see "Bilstein" stamped on the shock. Same for JDM MkII MR2 stock shocks but with softer valving. I don't think USDM stock shocks were branded but people could speculate they were Bilsteins. That would be an assumption because there was no proof like on the TRD or JDM stock shocks.

So do you have proof to show or have seen proof like a document or brand stamping to back it or was it just passed by word of mouth? If word of mouth, who is your source? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this because for 10 years, I've only heard TRD springs = Eibach with no concrete evidence.

I tend to agree at least a few years ago the TRD engineers would spec springs/struts just right. Bad example but if you own a Yaris the TRD springs are just an absolute perfect fit and transform the handling. There were definitely engineers involved who were intimately familiar with the chassis in that case. Its common for a car to be engineered with a great suspension only to have marketing water it down for folks like Frssion, that's where TRD comes in.

No offense to our aftermarket suppliers but I had hoped for a TRD spring/strut combo that puts the suspension exactly where it was originally engineered to be. Only takes one look at the wheel gap to understand that the stock springs weren't what this car was engineered around.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #98
Meehow86
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
...... so can I just roll up into the Toyota dealership in my BRZ or no?
Meehow86 is offline   Reply With Quote