follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #29
Audio

Drives: 16 FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, I'm at like 35k for the year, they drop off kinda quick, but I'm. Very aggressive driver so
.. really like the premier, just going to try the 3+ to see the difference in $5 per tire, lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I have the Premier AS on a different car. These tires are fantastic, made me felt invincible in both rain and snow. It's also been a year for me as well and I think over 15,000 miles. Still looks brand new and I do drive hard on them so something must be up with your set.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #30
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I recently fitted Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as the Primacy HP tires just are not suited for 2/3 rds. of the driving conditions I encounter during the year. The stock tires are just fine when it is warm out. The Pilots are definitely more sticky when it's chilly outside. The only issue I have with the Pilots is that they are less precise or less quick to respond to steering input, but I am willing to compromise and I have adjusted after a week of driving. Maybe the naming of the tire is intentional or just a coincidence, but from reading the experiences of people who have these tires is that they are more of a 3 season tire and the '+' means is that you can just get by if the snow and ice is not too extreme. I agree with the experts when they say that if you are driving a lot in winter conditions, you need to have a set of winter tires. Would it not be great to have a set of wheels with Summer, Winter and Track tires and a pit crew down the block? It looks like the sun is coming out today and it will be in the mid-seventies. Pit the car and in half a minute you are down the road. Okay, I only really need the one set of tires and now I have four almost new Primacy HP tires sitting in the garage. I am moving soon and I would rather not have to take them. I did not want to recycle them either at Costco. They were made in the last quarter of 2016 and only have 2,100 miles; no tracking and drifting. I have them on Craig's List for $200, but I have the feeling that especially in this area, they are going to sit for a while. Any suggestions? I would even 'donate' them to a young needy 86/FRS/BRZ owner that is a little short of capital. I was there once being able buy a car and discovering that owning it costs money too. What is a good way to do that?
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #31
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
They do make a marginal difference in the ride but the ugly truth,IMO, is no 17" low profile tire is going to be able to make the ride significantly smoother. To do that, they have to have some "give" in the sidewall and there just isn't any room to give.

That's simply not true... my snows are on my stock 17" wheels and they're most definitely A LOT softer than my summer tires. It's been a long time since I've driven on the stock tires, but the snows were definitely softer than them too. You won't find a low profile performance oriented tire that's softer, but if you're into the touring range of tires there's definitely soft sidewalls out there.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #32
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That's simply not true... my snows are on my stock 17" wheels and they're most definitely A LOT softer than my summer tires. It's been a long time since I've driven on the stock tires, but the snows were definitely softer than them too. You won't find a low profile performance oriented tire that's softer, but if you're into the touring range of tires there's definitely soft sidewalls out there.
Well, as I said it was my opinion and I stick by it. Yes, it is possible for them to be softer but it can only be so forgiving. Everything else equal the same style tires on 16" vs 17" wheels, the 16" are going to have better ride comfort, normally at the cost of some degree of handling.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #33
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, as I said it was my opinion and I stick by it. Yes, it is possible for them to be softer but it can only be so forgiving. Everything else equal the same style tires on 16" vs 17" wheels, the 16" are going to have better ride comfort, normally at the cost of some degree of handling.

If you lived closer I'd offer to let you drive my car back to back with snows vs summer tires to feel just how much of a difference it can be.

Now, I'm at extremes... I run proper snows (not performance snows) in the winter and EHP summer tires, so the biggest gap between sidewall stiffness.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-15-2019)