follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
fritzy

Drives: BRZ WRPB Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Autocross Camera Mounts?

My BRZ DZA is supposed be here on Sunday (Father's Day!). I'd like to try my hand at autocross, and would like to do a camera mount setup where I could see the tach and what I'm doing (wrong).

Something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...st_Camera.html would be nice for that, I think.
Does the headrest adjust to mount something like that? Would it be unreasonable for someone 5'10"?
From pictures, it looks questionable whether the seat headrest adjusts that way.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
fritzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzy View Post
My BRZ DZA is supposed be here on Sunday (Father's Day!). I'd like to try my hand at autocross, and would like to do a camera mount setup where I could see the tach and what I'm doing (wrong).

Something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...st_Camera.html would be nice for that, I think.
Does the headrest adjust to mount something like that? Would it be unreasonable for someone 5'10"?
From pictures, it looks questionable whether the seat headrest adjusts that way.
I also looked at this mount. I don't think it will work with our cars without some sort of offset due to the headrests sitting into the surrounding area. Anyone else have ideas for a passenger or rear seat mount for a camera. I also want a camera that can show at least part of my while I am driving.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
GoPro.

You're going to have trouble getting both your tach and you in the shot no matter what camera you choose. You best bet might be to lay the passenger seat back ad mount the GoPro as far back on the passenger side window as possible.

The big issues is that with lighting and the way amera work, you really have to choose between filming something inside the car, or outside. So move the camera around between runs. Some good angles:

Out the front to check your lines
Upper right corner of the windshield aimed at you to see if you're being too tense.
Right front fender to check your off-side cone clearance. Can you get closer?
And I haven't tried this yet, but lay the passenger seat back and mount the camera as far back on the passenger side as possible to see if you catch your tach, wheel, and shifter. Again, not sure if the angle is right with this car.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
brz7400

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can use a suction mount and stick it on the inside of the rear window looking forward.
Would have to start the camera before you strap yourself in though.
brz7400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I stuck my go pro on the rear driver side window on the outside. It will see the inside, but not the tach as the outside is too bright. Maybe at night you might see it. Here is a video of one of my driver skills autocross runs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrLIP0hHSig"]Porsche Club Driver Skills Autocross Section - YouTube[/ame]
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If you mount farther forward a couple of inches you'll catch more of the vie though the front glass. My go pro captured my tach and nav when I ran the dragon. I haven't watched the runs from my autocross enough to note on that in brighter conditions yet.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Simple solution with everyone who mentions this.

Gopro. srsly. Lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
MF_DEUCE (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzy View Post

I've had that seat post camera mount you linked to for about ten years. I haven't used it in the BRZ yet, but I just went out to the garage to test fit it, and it works fine on the BRZ's seats. In the past I've used the mount with a full-sized 8mm camcorder, a small digital camera, and my ContourHD cam. Doesn't work in all my cars though.

Tags
autocross