follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #43
Cope52

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What amazes me is that people will talk about oil and change intervals all day long but think nothing of winding out a cold engine. Wait till the car is up to temp before winding it out. And drive 10 miles or more per outing to burn off all moisture and shit. The motor will last forever.

And stay with the stock stuff. I do not understand why people go running to the aftermarket anytime anything needs to be replaced.
Cope52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #44
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope52 View Post
What amazes me is that people will talk about oil and change intervals all day long but think nothing of winding out a cold engine. Wait till the car is up to temp before winding it out. And drive 10 miles or more per outing to burn off all moisture and shit. The motor will last forever.

And stay with the stock stuff. I do not understand why people go running to the aftermarket anytime anything needs to be replaced.
This is a fairly good point. Also worth noting that while many people think it's good to let your car idle to warm, there's scores and scores of articles actual analyses that have ripped that idea to pieces for modern cars (especially since engine materials are now hugely resistant to heat expansion). It's a waste of gas and if a cold engine experiences more wear the best solution would obviously be to warm it up as quickly as possible without damage. Just drive it like it's break in for literally 30 seconds and if you have an OBDII, you'll notice that a metal box filled with explosions gets warm pretty fast I'm sure this will start a whole argument but anyway...

Subarus (and Toyotas, for that matter) are known for having pretty reliable engines, so I assume the best thing for engine life in this car is to daily drive it, keep your fluids clean and full, and probably not do anything else to the car at all.
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #45
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope52 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Change oil/filter and maintain religiously, use good oil, fuel up with good high octane fuel, don't drive like a dumbfcuk.
Maybe I should list all the things people do when driving that constitutes as "driving like a dumbfcuk," that would decrease longevity. lol
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #46
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
This is a fairly good point. Also worth noting that while many people think it's good to let your car idle to warm, there's scores and scores of articles actual analyses that have ripped that idea to pieces for modern cars (especially since engine materials are now hugely resistant to heat expansion). It's a waste of gas and if a cold engine experiences more wear the best solution would obviously be to warm it up as quickly as possible without damage. Just drive it like it's break in for literally 30 seconds and if you have an OBDII, you'll notice that a metal box filled with explosions gets warm pretty fast I'm sure this will start a whole argument but anyway...

Subarus (and Toyotas, for that matter) are known for having pretty reliable engines, so I assume the best thing for engine life in this car is to daily drive it, keep your fluids clean and full, and probably not do anything else to the car at all.

Correct, excess periods of idling is actually bad for the engine, especially cold.

Start car, wait for oil pressure (not easy on this car as there's not any way to see this stock), drive away gently.

Also, just because the engine is warm from idling, doesn't mean you should beat on it! The rest of the drivetrain is still dead cold at that point and nobody ever thinks of that...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote