follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #29
Ryan_west
Banned

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All these die hard opti coat fans LMAO

Its a polymer based product! Let the scamming begin!

SMH.....
Ryan_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #30
ninedice

Drives: Series 10 #177 M/T
Garage
I had a similar product put on my car. IBEX or something (Teflon based?). The dealership said I would never have to wax my car and that it would be clay bar-ed before being applied. I washed my car a few months later spotted a few rail dust marks on the paint which means it either wasn't clayed properly or at all. I believe it has all washed away by now. What a waste of money.
ninedice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #31
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
$1300?? Is that detailer crazy?

I had a professional do mine (he usually details high end cars like Ferarris, Lamborghinis, etc.) and my car had really bad paint, like scratched all over bad, and this was the night I picked it up (dealership washed my car with a dirty rag prior to delivery).

I got Opti-Guard (Opti Coat professional, or whatever you want to call it), with paint correction, polish, interior, wheels, everything for $250, and then I got Xpel Ultimate clear bra (which costs a little more than just regular 3M) on full hood, mirrors, full front fenders, full front bumper, A-pillars, leading edge of roof, headlights all for $1150 installed. So in total I spent $1400.

If he's charging you $1300 for the same thing I got for $250, I'd run away. Run away fast!

Edit: And my guy didn't require 2 days. I dropped it off late in the evening and picked it up the next morning before work. He worked on it all night. Awesome guy.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #32
Ryan_west
Banned

Drives: 370z
Ive tried Opti Seal before and it was a complete waste of money. Did extensive testing, side by side testing. Felt scammed!
Ryan_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #33
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_west View Post
Ive tried Opti Seal before and it was a complete waste of money. Did extensive testing, side by side testing. Felt scammed!
Opti seal its to be used on Opticoat right?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #34
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Opti-coat is not the same as Opti-seal which is a different product.

The big advantage of Opti-coat is that it protects the paint against swirls when washing the car. It also gives you a second layer of protection against bird droppings and insects. I've had it on my car for 4 months and it still looks great and I have no paint swirls anywhere.

As others have said, all waxes have to be removed prior to application. The fact your detailer wanted to apply wax first tells me he's never done an application of Opti-coat before. Find someone else. The price is also high. I paid $400 but then my car was just off the dealer's lot when I dropped it off for application. The car only needed a minor bit of paint correction so the price was cheaper.

Good luck! Protecting your car's paint should be the first mod people should think about when they buy a car.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #35
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just DIY. Get a porter cable and have at it. Shops charge 400-500 around here for a polish, and they dont even guarantee to remove all the swirls. I dont blame them for it tbh, its a ton of work especially if you have not taken care of your paint.

That's a lot of $$$ every year or two to keep your ride looking nice.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote