follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
SquareMan

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removing Stickers From Tinted Windows

So I'm looking to remove a couple (imo) less than tasteful stickers on my windows that the previous owner placed. There's one on the glass over the B pillar on the driver's side and one in the lower left corner of the rear windshield. Additionally, the windows are tinted. I want to make sure that I don't damage the window tint with any products or tools that I use, as well as make sure I don't damage the rear defroster lines. Does anybody have any tips?
SquareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareMan View Post
I want to make sure that I don't damage the window tint with any products or tools that I use, as well as make sure I don't damage the rear defroster lines.
I am assuming the stickers are on the outside of the glass? Tint and defroster lines would be on the interior side of the glass so nothing should interfere. I would start with a clean razor blade and some glass cleaner, and maybe some solvent if there is too much residue.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (02-17-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
SquareMan

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm not sure if the tint is on the inside or outside so I'll have to check to make sure but the stickers are on the outside.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
If on the inside it will be tricky. Use some Goo Gone in very small doses. Get an edge pealed up and put a small bit on. Peal a bit more and repeat. Make sure you wipe up each application as soon as the stick is lifted. Try very hard to not get any of the Goo Gone under the edge of the tint and do not pull un the sticker enough to lift the tint. When done clean the whole area with a glass cleaner that does not have ammonia in it.
I have had to do this before and after a couple of trial and error attempts was very successful using this method. It is slow though.

humfrz (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmm, that's a good point. I'm not sure if the tint is on the inside or outside so I'll have to check to make sure but the stickers are on the outside.
Window tint is generally applied on the inside of the window. As far as removing the stickers, just get some 3M Adhesive Remover and you'll be good to go.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
SquareMan

Alright thanks for the help guys. I'm going to attempt this this weekend and as long as the tint is properly applied i should have no issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Alright thanks for the help guys. I'm going to attempt this this weekend and as long as the tint is properly applied i should have no issues.
OH! I forgot to mention something! Use a hairdryer on low to heat them up a bit.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
SquareMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
OH! I forgot to mention something! Use a hairdryer on low to heat them up a bit.
Will heat not risk damaging the tint inside?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Will heat not risk damaging the tint inside?
No. Keep it on low and keep it moving. Think about how hot the inside of the car gets when parked on sunny and hot summer day. The tint isn't damaged by that. A blow dryer doesn't get that hot but it is enough to soften adhesive on a sticker. The heat is a far lesser risk than pulling to hard on the tint film.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
What material(s) are the stickers made from?

When removing stickers from the inside of the car where an aftermarket tint was applied, I've used a combination of a plastic razor blade with rounded points and diluted (regular) Dawn solution combined with quite a lot of time taking it very slow, and first testing the solution/effect of the razor blade on a portion of the tinted window that is not highly visible, and then shining an extremely bright light on the area to make sure the razor blade is not scratching the tint. During colder periods, I have used a hairdryer on lower settings without ill effects - although on extremely hot days this arguably is not necessary. After doing this, I've always tried to be very particular about removing any residue given how prolonged contact with a wide range of chemicals seems to has the potential to discolor tints. Depending on the sticker, getting the sticker itself saturated with the solution seems to sometimes help.

The specific tint itself seems to play a significant role in how robust it is against scratching/discoloration/tearing.
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote