follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Antisocialspeed

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Metal in oil

Purchase a 2013 FRS back in August with around 25,000 miles on it currently has 27000 miles. Changed the oil about two weekends ago and noticed metal in the oil ie: glitter looking. About a week later dropped a little bit of the oil into a cup and still n
oticed glitter in the newer oil. I know the valve spring recall was done at 23, 500 miles so there has been about 3,500 miles put on since the valve spring recall. Question is whether or not this is just possibly break in from the new valve springs which I highly doubt as I don't believe there's metal-to-metal contact on the valve springs but please correct me if I'm wrong. Looking at options now potentially taking it to a local dealership and having them drop the pan to document if they find any gasket material in there that lead it back to the recall. Unfortunately the car was purchased out of state and the dealership that did the work is out of state so I can't take it back there.

So far I have not heard any tell tale knocking sounds. Performance seems fine however I don't have anything to compare it to. Getting 27.2 average miles per gallon if that makes any difference? Pulled the dipstick yesterday and found two tiny pieces of metal on cloth appears to be silver so I'm guessing aluminum as does not get picked up by a magnet. Going to pull an oil analysis however I've heard that these don't always tell what is going on if the bearings are failing.

Car is stock aside from a TRD intake.

Side note, I sometimes smell a heavy exhaust smell when accelerating quickly, not sure if this is normal or may have something to do with what's going on and doesn't happen all that often.

Any suggestions or guidance?
Antisocialspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I never had any exhaust odor on acceleration. There should never be metal pieces on your dipstick
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The only way to know is to have your oil sample tested.

Anything else is just speculation and of zero use to you.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,096 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Have you expressed concern with the dealership who did the work yet? A wound is easier to treat before gangrene sets in. I understand the work was not performed under your ownership, but it's still worth bringing attention to if it's feasible.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,476 Times in 772 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
A) Cut oil filter open and inspect for excessive metal.
B) Have oil sample done.
C) Drive it till she blows.

I would suggest doing items A and B.
FYI
Inspecting oil filter right after an oil change is worthless. Do you have your old filter?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
A) Cut oil filter open and inspect for excessive metal.
B) Have oil sample done.
C) Drive it till she blows.

I would suggest doing items A and B.
FYI
Inspecting oil filter right after an oil change is worthless. Do you have your old filter?
If there is already that much metal (to the point you can find pieces on the dipstick) then I think that item C is pretty much a forgone conclusion. Even getting oil flow back at this point will just prolong the inevitable.
Grady (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If there is already that much metal (to the point you can find pieces on the dipstick) then I think that item C is pretty much a forgone conclusion. Even getting oil flow back at this point will just prolong the inevitable.
The problem is 'glitter looking'.

When I ran ENEOS oil on my BRZ, the oils always looked like it had glitter in it.

OP is speculating at this point without any actual proof, so either his engine is on its way out, or there's nothing to be worried about.

For OP: if UOA can't detect metal wear in the oil, then you have nothing to worry about. If a bearing is failing, it will wear excessively and the shavings WILL be present in an analysis. If it just snapped without warning, then yes you won't be able to get any readings... but then again, your engine would've been toast already.

Internal parts usually do not just snap from normal driving, excessive metal wear is the first telltale sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
The problem is 'glitter looking'.

When I ran ENEOS oil on my BRZ, the oils always looked like it had glitter in it.

OP is speculating at this point without any actual proof, so either his engine is on its way out, or there's nothing to be worried about.

For OP: if UOA can't detect metal wear in the oil, then you have nothing to worry about. If a bearing is failing, it will wear excessively and the shavings WILL be present in an analysis. If it just snapped without warning, then yes you won't be able to get any readings... but then again, your engine would've been toast already.

Internal parts usually do not just snap from normal driving, excessive metal wear is the first telltale sign.

The glitter wasn't what set off my alarms it was the metal on the dipstick.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
Antisocialspeed

Oil is on its way to Blackstone so we will see what they find. And Tcoat, you are exactly right, the glittering in the oil made me concerned but it wasnt until I saw actual metal on the dip stick that caused panic. Some oil additives will probably give a glittery appearance and no idea what was added before I bought it. I was sure hoping that maybe it was just the kind of oil or something else in there.

Going to check and see if I still have the old filter in the garage when I get home tonight. If I do I'll cut it open and see.

I have an appointment with a local dealership tomorrow morning to drop the oil pan and see if there is any gasket remnants in there or the pick up to possibly trace it back to recall work. But if not I'm out the service fee and I'll be looking to source a new engine for when this one goes.

What's the latest model that will directly drop in a 2013? A 14, or will a newer 2015/16 go in with out having to change a bunch iof stuff around, wiring, ecu etc??

Thanks for all the feedback and help everyone!!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,476 Times in 772 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Excessive metal/glitter is subjective. Probably bad but possibly he is over reacting.

For all we know he may work at a strip club and all he is seeing is stripper glitter.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
mav1178

Quote:
The glitter wasn't what set off my alarms it was the metal on the dipstick.
I know, but if I was in OP's shoes I'd do a UOA and then figure out next steps.

Without some type of analysis OP's word is as good as Subaru's. Plus, if this was truly a concern I'd stop driving the car immediately until 1) UOA is done, or 2) Subaru agrees to inspect the car.

Considering how different dealers don't like to handle someone else's work, this will drag on forever... so the only way to know is to get the oil tested and determine next steps.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I know, but if I was in OP's shoes I'd do a UOA and then figure out next steps.

Without some type of analysis OP's word is as good as Subaru's. Plus, if this was truly a concern I'd stop driving the car immediately until 1) UOA is done, or 2) Subaru agrees to inspect the car.

Considering how different dealers don't like to handle someone else's work, this will drag on forever... so the only way to know is to get the oil tested and determine next steps.
Agree. Didn't say otherwise.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 AM   #13
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Usually you can hear rod knock at a cold start when its in the early stages. Catch it early enough ,you can just change the rod bearings on most motors and be fine.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
Antisocialspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Usually you can hear rod knock at a cold start when its in the early stages. Catch it early enough ,you can just change the rod bearings on most motors and be fine.

Since there is metal already floating around would I risk the coil passages potentially clogging up on the future or causing issues down the road if I only repair the engine?

Again as others have stated it's all speculative at this point. But the size of the piece of metal on the dipstick was bad. Like a flat grain of sand size.