follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 12-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #1163
g33k

Drives: 2009 Nissan Altima, 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
30 years of keyboard/mouse experience doesn't hurt plus as my tagline in Steam says "Patience over Skill".

I do tend to play the Sniper, keeping my distance. Also, my forum name here is the same as my gamer tag. It was given to me by my kids. The DAD portion has a double meaning. Besides the obvious, it stands for "Death After Death" as in I regenerate a lot.
Sent a friend request your way. Haven't been playing online much since my wife wanted to pick up gaming again so we got a second Xbox. ShadowNygma is my steam username.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g33k For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2016)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #1164
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Just got around finishing the single-user campaign in Doom 2016. Been playing the multiplayer for a while with two of my sons, but figured it was time to grind it out and it was a rainy weekend here with nothing else on the schedule.

I thought the game was pretty good, maintained a lot of the feel of the original with a little updating that made it more interesting. Having played all the original versions (Doom I-III) when they were new and "cutting edge" made this nostalgic. I liked they included the classic levels in it, almost enjoyed those as much as the new game.

That said, what I discovered is I've apparently "out grown" games like this that are just a straight line grind with checkpoints rather than "anywhere save". Running around a boss in circles unloading ammo on it until it dies just has lost its appeal to me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #1165
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That said, what I discovered is I've apparently "out grown" games like this that are just a straight line grind with checkpoints rather than "anywhere save". Running around a boss in circles unloading ammo on it until it dies just has lost its appeal to me.
I've been playing video games for ever since I can remember (I'm 21 now). And I used to only play single player grind games. Never was I interested in multiplayer or RPG games where I was given a choice.

Now I can only play MP or RPG games. After spending hours in fallout, skyrim, etc, I can't stand video games that don't give me a choice. If you told me I had to go back and replay all those single-player straight line video games, I'd probably rather shoot myself in the foot.
Dadhawk (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #1166
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
I've been playing video games for ever since I can remember (I'm 21 now). And I used to only play single player grind games. Never was I interested in multiplayer or RPG games where I was given a choice.

Now I can only play MP or RPG games. After spending hours in fallout, skyrim, etc, I can't stand video games that don't give me a choice. If you told me I had to go back and replay all those single-player straight line video games, I'd probably rather shoot myself in the foot.
I kinda prefer the straight line games. I played New Vegas and felt obligated to do all the side quests. Figuring out where stuff is or where to go can be a real hassle too. That's just my opinion. I almost exclusively play multiplayer only games now. Haven't played anything but Battlefront, MechWarrior Online, and Heroes of the Storm in over a year. Before that it was Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 and MechWarrior with a little StarCraft. StarCraft2 is the last campaign I played. Before that was. Halo 4 and then... Diablo 3?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #1167
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not too many games are pulling my interest recently... Went back and got the platinum for Bloodborne... Now I'm on my 3rd play through of Dark Souls 3 to finish up the achievements...
Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #1168
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Been playing alot of ARK lately as well as Rocket League
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #1169
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I kinda prefer the straight line games. I played New Vegas and felt obligated to do all the side quests. Figuring out where stuff is or where to go can be a real hassle too. That's just my opinion. I almost exclusively play multiplayer only games now. Haven't played anything but Battlefront, MechWarrior Online, and Heroes of the Storm in over a year. Before that it was Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 and MechWarrior with a little StarCraft. StarCraft2 is the last campaign I played. Before that was. Halo 4 and then... Diablo 3?
LOL that is true, I would do hundreds of side quests before even starting the main quests in skyrim.

But that's the beauty of it really, it gives you choice to play the game how you want to play it, and allows you to make decisions based on it. The Fable series did a great job at adapting to how the player want's to control his character.

I recently played Spec Ops: The Line, which is a third person - duck/cover game like Gears of War, but the game really makes you walk the line of morality. You move through the game on a straight line, but it makes you decide what to do in different event. For example, you have the choice of saving a dozen civilians, or you can save a solider critical to your mission. However, which ever one you choose to save, the other one dies. I feel like they did a fantastic job with balance in choice and keeping the game play in a forward movement.

Great game, beat in about 7-8 hours of playing.

I also enjoyed planetside 2, however I struggle with it because one person cannot make much of a difference. But in some aspects it's a neat environment, you really have to work together and overpower your enemy in numbers. But the starting weapons suck so hard, they kinda force you to purchase some decent ones....
Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #1170
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
LOL that is true, I would do hundreds of side quests before even starting the main quests in skyrim.

But that's the beauty of it really, it gives you choice to play the game how you want to play it, and allows you to make decisions based on it. The Fable series did a great job at adapting to how the player want's to control his character.

I recently played Spec Ops: The Line, which is a third person - duck/cover game like Gears of War, but the game really makes you walk the line of morality. You move through the game on a straight line, but it makes you decide what to do in different event. For example, you have the choice of saving a dozen civilians, or you can save a solider critical to your mission. However, which ever one you choose to save, the other one dies. I feel like they did a fantastic job with balance in choice and keeping the game play in a forward movement.

Great game, beat in about 7-8 hours of playing.

I also enjoyed planetside 2, however I struggle with it because one person cannot make much of a difference. But in some aspects it's a neat environment, you really have to work together and overpower your enemy in numbers. But the starting weapons suck so hard, they kinda force you to purchase some decent ones....
I thought the starting weapons were good. They were all-arounders instead of specialized. I bought new guns too but over all I think they were decent
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #1171
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

But that's the beauty of it really, it gives you choice to play the game how you want to play it, and allows you to make decisions based on it....
I rarely progress the main story line until I'm forced to in any of the open world games (Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Assassins Creed/Far Cry/Witcher/Just Cause/etc)

As far as I'm concerned the main quest is just another quest in the game. I was mad as heck on Fallout 3 when the stupid game ended when you finished the main quest. I just stared at the screen thinking "whaaat the f#$@".

I suspect they learned there lesson on that.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 01-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #1172
Bowen