follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #1261
Pedro13

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think is good thing that most of the people don't know what our cars are, because "Is the new Supra?" question comes to me also, from a guy the other day in a commercial center, close to my home. Also, most of the people thinks that the car is super fast... No sure if happen to any of you, but sometimes, when I move to the left line (to pass somebody) all the other cars move back to the right line, to leave you the free space...It happen to me on the Freeway & Highway.

But the most non-sense thing happened on my work, because the other day I put an avatar of the "86" emblem on my name and one co-worker asked me if "this emblem belongs to some secret cult or what" ????? We work for TOYOTA Canada, so if people that pay their bills from Toyota don't even have a clue about this car, what you can expect from any other person.

But the truth is that in places where the BRZ/F-RS/86 is not very popular, still turning heads and I think always makes feel good that somebody admires our cars.
Pedro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro13 For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (07-31-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #1262
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
The funky 86 circle on the fender isn't obvious enough for most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro13 View Post
But the most non-sense thing happened on my work, because the other day I put an avatar of the "86" emblem on my name and one co-worker asked me if "this emblem belongs to some secret cult or what" ?????
One of my friends thought it was a swastika at first lol
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #1263
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep and in this case we were talking about people that wanted to talk about the car. You clearly said you would change the subject which is not what they wanted to talk about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I literally do not even bother. I go "Do you know what a BRZ or FRS is? ya? It's just a Toyota version of the same thing." I usually then try to change the subject to something mundane unless they are genuinely interested.
Not many people truly are interested. Most just want to talk about how fast they can go on the DVP.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #1264
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Not many people truly are interested. Most just want to talk about how fast they can go on the DVP.
How exciting could a conversation of traveling 0 to 20 KPH be?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #1265
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
How exciting could a conversation of traveling 0 to 20 KPH be?
You're telling me. Despite this fact though, traffic seems to be one of the most had conversations when my car, being a manual is brought up.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #1266
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I tried explaining this to my girlfriend and her eyes start glazing over.

Whenever her friends ask what I drive no body ever knows that a Toyota 86 is.
My usual response is to ask if they know the FRS/BRZ
See. when I switched from an FR-S to an 86 I was kinda glad because some people didn't know what a Scion was, let alone an FR-S. I was thinking at least people know what a Toyota is, but I quickly realized that just saying Toyota 86 makes no sense to anyone that doesn't know it.
Quote:
Now that Toyota has moved the 86 name to America it's confused the few people who knew the FRS.
"Oh is that an FRS?" ... No it's a Toyota 86. "Whats the difference" to which I typically respond "the badging"

More often then not when I catch somebody looking at it, they see a Toyota badge and I see their "wtf" face. Then they pace it front to back looking for a letting badge. The funky 86 circle on the fender isn't obvious enough for most people.

The only advertising I've seen for these cars is online, and they're all crap adverts. All of my sweet ride bro encounters are people liking the car and having no idea what it is.
When I first got the 86 I corrected people pretty quick. Now I just let people call it an FR-S, like the guy at the pizza place that asked if that was my FR-S out front. I just said yes and he said cool car. It's easier, especially if they actually know the car, wrong version or not.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #1267
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
See. when I switched from an FR-S to an 86 I was kinda glad because some people didn't know what a Scion was, let alone an FR-S. I was thinking at least people know what a Toyota is, but I quickly realized that just saying Toyota 86 makes no sense to anyone that doesn't know it.

When I first got the 86 I corrected people pretty quick. Now I just let people call it an FR-S, like the guy at the pizza place that asked if that was my FR-S out front. I just said yes and he said cool car. It's easier, especially if they actually know the car, wrong version or not.
Well in fairness if seen from the side it could be any of the three. Unless you know intimately what fender garnish each as of course.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #1268
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well in fairness if seen from the side it could be any of the three. Unless you know intimately what fender garnish each as of course.
Yeah, and like I said, I don't really care what people call it anymore. Hell, I catch myself calling it an FR-S occasionally. I might say something if they said BRZ just because I'm a literal person and Toyota and Scion are the same family, but Subaru is a different badge entirely. Even then, I'd probably just say, "yeah, the Toyota one."

Also, the other day I had another encounter, this time on my return with dinner. I'm waiting in a 2-lane left turn (I'm in the left one) and I hear something that sounds like "Nice car!" loud enough that I could hear it over traffic and my music. I look over my right shoulder and see the dude in the back seat of the SUV one car back and right of me dart quickly behind the B-pillar and out of view.

I just kinda laugh to myself because I'm not sure what to think. I can hear some indistinct chatter coming from that direction, but I didn't care enough to turn down my music and listen. I could make out a "Did he wave?" so maybe they thought I was rude and ignoring them? I'm awkward with this stuff so I didn't know how to respond in the first place.

A few seconds later, more indistinct chatter followed by a loud, "Orange Supra!" I looked again, laughed and gave them a wave that I wasn't even sure they would see given my lower height and visibility issues. I don't know if anything preceded or followed the Supra comment, or if it was a joke. Maybe it was a legit compliment. But I feel like I might have annoyed them.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #1269
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I Had a older couple behind me in traffic heading the same direction. I noticed they stopped next to me a few lights later with a gap in front and were waving at me.

Lowered my window and proceeded to give my "it's a Toyota 86 speech" again since they saw Toyota baddging. They really liked it, and commented on the sound.

I was kind of surprised since they had what looked like a 17+ Toyota Highlander. Theyust have seen one at the dealer when buying their car.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #1270
trvth

Drives: '15 Halo Scion FRS, 1999 Saturn SC2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This morning on the way to work I was driving slowly on campus when I passed a white Ferrari Testarossa going slowly the other way. As we passed, he revved his engine.

Does that count as "Sweet Ride", or "Come race me?". Since we were traveling in opposite directions, I wasn't sure, lol.
2015 Halo Scion FR-S 6MT new w/TRD exhaust, cold air intake, quick shifter, sway bars, lowering springs, & brake pads. Since then, TRD door braces, strut tower bar, & battery tie-down, Motul fluids in trans/diff & brakes, GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace, Stoptech stainless brakelines, OpenFlash Header 3 w/overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet on E85
trvth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #1271
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvth View Post
Does that count as "Sweet Ride", or "Come race me?". Since we were traveling in opposite directions, I wasn't sure, lol.
Yes.

But more than likely it's just flexing to make himself feel better than you, like most 350Z owners do at virtually any car they see.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #1272
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvth View Post
This morning on the way to work I was driving slowly on campus when I passed a white Ferrari Testarossa going slowly the other way. As we passed, he revved his engine.

I’ve always taken revs as a what’s up I’ll never rev back though in case I get myself into some BS lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
trvth (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #1273
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Revs going opposite direction or when being passed are "sweet ride" or "whats up", revs when stopped together are "race me"
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #1274
mintyfresh
LA Bron

Drives: ‘15 WRB BRZ
In the past couple of months, two cashier dudes(18-20yo) at two diff drive thrus had a minute long convo with me about my car and what mods I had etc. I always reciprocate well because I remember being in their shoes always thinking about driving one and the fact that it lived up to my expectations only makes me want to talk about it more.
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mintyfresh For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (08-05-2019)