follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #57
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
seats can be changed

Yoshoobaroo (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #58
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
seats can be changed

Not if you want to keep the airbags.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #59
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerthegoat View Post
I wish I had good news, but as of today the FRS is gone. I tried every suggestion (besides having the seats upholstered) and nothing worked.
That's too bad. if you really liked the car, might be worth trying out the 2022 model when it comes out. You never know, it could be just different enough to make a difference.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #60
tylerthegoat

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That's too bad. if you really liked the car, might be worth trying out the 2022 model when it comes out. You never know, it could be just different enough to make a difference.
It's definitely on my list of cars to test drive. I love the way it looks. I don't think the used car market is going to correct itself anytime soon (I've seen 2013 models going for well over $20k...) and I'll be starting a new job soon so hopefully I can test drive the GR86 before they sell out.
tylerthegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tylerthegoat For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-28-2021), Dadhawk (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #61
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Uncomfortable seats

Quote:
It's definitely on my list of cars to test drive. I love the way it looks. I don't think the used car market is going to correct itself anytime soon (I've seen 2013 models going for well over $20k...) and I'll be starting a new job soon so hopefully I can test drive the GR86 before they sell out.

Supposedly they increased the headroom, so here’s to hoping.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #62
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone, just thought I would give a quick update.

I wish I had good news, but as of today the FRS is gone. I tried every suggestion (besides having the seats upholstered) and nothing worked. Once I realized that I preferred driving my daily over the FRS, I knew it was time to return the car. When I did drive the FRS, I spent more time trying to get comfortable than actually enjoying the car.

It really sucks because besides the seats, I really did enjoy the car and this community seems awesome. Thanks again for the help everyone, I wish I could have made it work.
Is what it is! Would hate for you to be another buyer's-remorse case. It's not for everyone and that's ok.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:49 AM   #63
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Interesting. I'm 5'9" , 195, and I just went out and sat in my car to check. I've got about 5 or so inches to the headliner.
I got the picture (X-ray) ....... and that's OK -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:03 AM   #64
humfrz

Quote:

I wish I had good news, but as of today the FRS is gone. I tried every suggestion (besides having the seats upholstered) and nothing worked. Once I realized that I preferred driving my daily over the FRS, I knew it was time to return the car. When I did drive the FRS, I spent more time trying to get comfortable than actually enjoying the car.

It really sucks because besides the seats, I really did enjoy the car and this community seems awesome. Thanks again for the help everyone, I wish I could have made it work.
.....and that's OK.

Short story.

I can sort of identify with your situation. Back when I was a real estate broker, I spent a lot of time driving clients around. I drove a Saturn and my real estate partner always made fun of it.

She purchased a brand new, fancy, expensive Mercedes so, I said OK, why don't you drive for a while. After several months and a multitude of all kinds if seat cushions, I could NOT get comfortable riding in that car and I'm not talking minor discomfort!

So, we wound up back in my Saturn.

Last edited by humfrz; 06-29-2021 at 02:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #65
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
. After several months and a multitude of all kinds if seat cushions, I could NOT get comfortable riding in that car and I'm not talking minor discomfort!
I have this problem with late model Hondas. I love Honda, have never owned a motorcycle that wasn't a Honda, my 1977 Civic CVCC Wagon was one of my favorite cars, but the current Honda ergonomics are just awful for me.

The seats are like wooden benches, things just don't fall within reach like they should, and most of them are just blah on the outside. There are several in my extended family (Civics, Accords, Pilots, CRV), and I've driven all of them, and hated every one of them.

Just not sure what it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #66
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I've been quickly spoiled by my steering column extension. Every other vehicle I drive feels awkward.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #67
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I have this problem with late model Hondas. I love Honda, have never owned a motorcycle that wasn't a Honda, my 1977 Civic CVCC Wagon was one of my favorite cars, but the current Honda ergonomics are just awful for me.

The seats are like wooden benches, things just don't fall within reach like they should, and most of them are just blah on the outside. There are several in my extended family (Civics, Accords, Pilots, CRV), and I've driven all of them, and hated every one of them.

Just not sure what it is.
Age? ........

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #68
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Could have made it work by getting a different seat. The stock seats are lacking and designed more for shorter people along with not having proper bottom contour shape or adaquate lumbar support. I bought my FR-S knowing the seat wouldn't work for me and eventually got a seat I knew would and custom installed it. Best thing a large/tall person can do is find a seat which perfectly works for them and use it in whatever vehicles they own. Unless you get an EXPENSIVE high end performance/luxury vehicle, the seats will not be adequate enough.

The chassis and handling is spectacularly good with the FR-S/86, more than enough to justify spending the money to get the correct seat in it... Ironically, a version of the seat I put in mine was used in the limited edition 86 GR/GRMN... that seat should have been factory option along with more steering wheel extension. Of course that would add a bit more to the price of the car to have a $5k+ pair of Recaro seats. Side benefit of the Recaro Sportster CS/GT though is you are even more connected to the chassis... much like a fixed back racing seat in a track car - so much more tuned into the chassis and what the car is doing.

I'm 6'2", ~175lbs, with 34" inseam and 33" waist, have never been in a stock vehicle with properly adequate seats for me... especially since all but 1 of them have been Japanese compact sports/hot hatches. The cars I have sat in with really good seats are the Lincoln Continental Black Label (absolutely REDICULOUS 30 way adjustable seats), Lexus LC 500, Jaguar F-Type S or R .... see a trend there? Seats are a health item, getting the right one for your body is critical - living with an inadequate factory seat will cause health issues down the road. Most factory seats are inadequate...

50mm/2" steering wheel column extension + Recaro Sportster CS/GT seat really works well for a 6'2" plus driver. The column extension is an absolute NECESSITY to get the proper driving position in the FR-S/86 - just changing seat to a better one does nothing for the conundrum you have in choosing between either having the steering wheel or pedals being right distance with the stock column reach. Shame I was only able to do the column extension right before I sold my FR-S... took 7 years for someone to comeout with a proper column extension which kept factory wheel & airbag... was absolutely worth finally being able to get a PERFECT driving position though.

Pity no real headroom increase is gained through all the changes though - since still will only be a finger width of space from top of head to liner. A side-mount race seat setup of course could get the adequate needed drop, but at the expense of daily driver useability and worse things will happen if you get in a serious wreck with it. That's the way I've finally decided to go with the AW11 MR2 out of necessity though, as stock seats or any bottom mount seat absolutely won't work for me - side mount race seats are the only solution in that application.

Last edited by Vracer111; 06-29-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #69
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Age? ........

Yea, too young. I feel like they are built for old people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-30-2021), Ultramaroon (06-30-2021), Yoshoobaroo (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #70
bolink654

Drives: 16 Raven,13 Firestorm,13 Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just outta curiosity (I think the seats are ok enough), are you guys that are installing aftermarket seats putting resistors into the seat airbag to keep the airbag light off?
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote